• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Question Of The Day - What Are These?


Charter Member
SM 2003
Full Member
Mar 14, 2002
Manassas, VA
Look near the hood hinges and you'll see a small metal button, one on each side. It seems to be linked to a rubber flap immediately underneath covering an opening that runs parallel to the windshield. What are these?

There doesn't seem to be anything on the hood to engage these as it lowers. Any guesses? ???

The passenger side has a plastic cover and the drivers' side does not - or maybe mine came off.

(I'm wondering how many of you will run outside tonight with a flashlight to see what I'm talking about! ;D )
Don't have to run outside, these are the little rubber flaps that keep perodactyl s**t from falling on the hinges and rusting them, they also flap like crazy over 70 mph, about as useful as an appendix or you know what on a bull frog. ;D
No, these are *underneath* the hinges, not the ones on top. (I've seen the top ones flap but never heard any noise from them) Take a look and see if you see the buttons I'm talking about...