• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Scaling down the BigBlockBirch (Radio Controlled)

BigBlockBirch

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
I started discussing this in another post but it began to take us off topic.  Figured I would start a new one here so everyone can see what is going one...

Building a scale BBB Avy...

Here is where I am so far...

CIMG3389.jpg

CIMG3411.jpg

CIMG3412.jpg

CIMG3414.jpg

This will have a tranny that will give me the ability to run 2wd, 4wd and...the one I cannot wait for Front Linelocks for screaming burnouts...

Here is an example of one...

Add some Clorox and we will have a show...
Need to make wheelwells, a putnam hitch, bed covers, decals, bug shield, steering stablizer and LEDs.  Also, need to get my hands on some SBM paint...  This is MzBBB (aka TTT)'s Scaler.

Got the suspension put together and added the Rancho Shocks

CIMG3456.jpg

CIMG3457.jpg

Also got the Putnam Receiver installed...need to do some fabbing on the chassis to lay it in but you get the idea...

CIMG3460.jpg

CIMG3459.jpg

And of course with the Avy sitting so high, I need a drop hitch...

CIMG3458.jpg

I have to get me one of those, I think it would be fun.

MichiganSilver03 said:
I have to get me one of those, I think it would be fun.

Unfortunately, this is a "one off" build.  Chassis was custom made.

No others like it... >:D

CIMG2339.jpg

So did you buy a basic kit and mod it,

MichiganSilver03 said:
So did you buy a basic kit and mod it,

No kit...the body is from a toy Radio Shack RC truck, the chassis is custom made, the axles, tranny, leafs and shocks are from RC4WD.

Will be adding lights, frontrunner, bed covers.  Then paint it SBM.  Will probably use bedliner on the cladding to make it look closer to the real thing.

I just notice the video, that's one nice toy. What scale are they.

jimbo53188 said:
i did'nt see the roadmaster suspension in the photo's !  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jimbo...only you would catch that one...

but I am already ahead of you...

CIMG3462.jpg

Tuned the shocks and leafs to let it set down a little.  Also need to notch the chassis to recess the "Putnam Hitch" which will lower the back of the body about 3/8".

The famous "Flex Shots"

CIMG3463.jpg

CIMG3464.jpg

Thought something was missing...  :rolleyes:

CIMG3467.jpg

CIMG3468.jpg

Rckcrwlr is my alias in the crawlin' world...

boilers94 said:
That's a nice looking toy there!!!  (y)

Did you say toy???  :E:  :cry:

This is a custom made work of art...at least that is what I am telling MzBBB...  :rolleyes:

That is one awesome scale model truck you built!   (y) 

I have 5 RC trucks/cars that have been sitting in the basement for years.  Time to get them out an start modding one like an AV.  You say that was a Radio Shack body?  Have two of them nearby, so time for a shelf check.  Has anyone seen an 07+ body style yet?

GulfstreamV said:
That is one awesome scale model truck you built!   (y) 

I have 5 RC trucks/cars that have been sitting in the basement for years.  Time to get them out an start modding one like an AV.  You say that was a Radio Shack body?  Have two of them nearby, so time for a shelf check.  Has anyone seen an 07+ body style yet?

What 5 do you have????

No new body styles...and the truck was discontinued years ago.  You need to call Radio Shack Customer Service and tell them you have this RC truck and the body cracked...  They can send you a new one for a pretty fair price.

The model number of the truck was #60-4330

Good Luck

Not too far off topic...

This was my project before the Avy...

It is a CORR Short Track Pro4 Truck.  It comes new with a Nitro Motor and 2 speed tranny.  Me, not being able to leave well enough alone, I pulled all of the Nitro Stuff out and converted it to an Electric Brushless Motor running on 18.5V of LiPo Cells...

BEFORE:
CIMG3266.jpg

CIMG3267.jpg

CIMG3269.jpg

After:
IMG00020.jpg

CIMG3345.jpg

CIMG3334.jpg

CIMG3331.jpg

First Run was clocked at 42 mph

BigBlockBirch said:
Did you say toy???   :E:   :cry:

This is a custom made work of art...at least that is what I am telling MzBBB...   :rolleyes:

Why yes I did, but no pun was intended!!  Can't wait to see the finished product!!  (y)

Thanks BBB I could not find the body at radioshack.com

I think this will make a good winter project.
What is a good motor for this, the CO2  ?

Not even completed yet and he's torn off BOTH mirrors  >:D 

:kidding: You gotta bring that to Athens with ya.

MichiganSilver03 said:
Thanks BBB I could not find the body at radioshack.com

I think this will make a good winter project.
What is a good motor for this, the CO2  ?

You need to call the 800 number. 

Regarding the motor, it will depend on what you want to do with it.  I am running a custom motor that gives you smooth torque on the low end and then wheel spin at WOT.  These are what I run in my other scalers.  We have trail runs with points.  They involve a buddy run, trail runs, etc.

My comp rig run high tech motors...

Here are some of my rigs I currently:

2.2 Comp Rig (2007 Series Champion)
CIMG3113.jpg

Super Comp Rig (2008 2nd Place Champion)
CIMG3127.jpg

Scalers:
Toyota FJ
ABCExhibition015.jpg

My YOTA BEATER (Favorite so far...she loves to be in the air)-Full lights with rev and turnsignals
WWWvApril12th2008040.jpg

Yotaislit003.jpg

HiluxFirstRealRun014.jpg

WPaC2008ScalerRun03-16042.jpg

April20thCompOhiopyle145.jpg

Landy LR3
CIMG2330.jpg

BigBlockBirch said:
What 5 do you have????

No new body styles...and the truck was discontinued years ago.  You need to call Radio Shack Customer Service and tell them you have this RC truck and the body cracked...  They can send you a new one for a pretty fair price.

The model number of the truck was #60-4330

Good Luck

Thanks for the info.

I bought most of my RC's in the early-mid 80's so they're all collector items now.   Nothing as detailed as your RC's, but then again I bought these before a lot of the really cool items you have on yours were on the market (for a reasonable price that is).

Here's my collection:
Tamiya Super Champ off road racer 1/10 with oil filled shock (yes, one oil canister for two rear shocks)
Tamiya Subaru Brat 1/10
(Japanese make) Big Bear Datsun pickup truck w/monster tires 1/12
Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero 1/10
Tamiya Blackfoot Ford F150 Ranger 1/10  (My roommate rolled it the first day on the dirt.  Scratched a perfectly good paintjob!   :E:

I can take some photos if you're interested.  The Subaru Brat was a lot of fun during pilot training in '85.  We had block parties at the apartment complex I lived in and I used to deliver beers down the street and get scooby snacks in return.  (y)

GulfstreamV said:
Here's my collection:
Tamiya Super Champ off road racer 1/10 with oil filled shock (yes, one oil canister for two rear shocks)
Tamiya Subaru Brat 1/10
(Japanese make) Big Bear Datsun pickup truck w/monster tires 1/12
Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero 1/10
Tamiya Blackfoot Ford F150 Ranger 1/10  (My roommate rolled it the first day on the dirt.  Scratched a perfectly good paintjob!   :E:

Don't under estimate what you have...there is some value there...don't give them up....unless you want to give them to me...  :love:

Tamiya just came out with the new Pajero Metal Top (My Daughter is building one) and the Brat.  The OG ones have some value...

OK...so I got some wheels in for another project I am working on so I figured I would try them on the Avy...

Anyone want to attempt it on a 1:1 Project??

CIMG3472.jpg

CIMG3473.jpg

CIMG3475.jpg

CIMG3476.jpg

CIMG3477.jpg

CIMG3478.jpg

CIMG3479.jpg

CIMG3480.jpg

CIMG3481.jpg

Back