• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

MSD Ignition Coil Set and Wires.

Dae_Ma

Ok, it's been a while but after 70k plus miles on the Av and warranty has expires I've been contemplating buying the multi-spark coil set for 8.1l from Summit.  I've aleady ordered the wires after reading the all the positive reports on the 1500's and figured that the stock wires need replacing anyway...but haven't read about anyone doing this for the 2500's or about the coil package.    The coil packs are $631.00 a set of 8, the wires are the same ones for the 1500 as for the 2500 @ $64.00 set..inflation since the last post in '05. Anyone have thoughts?? Or have done this mod?  Should I...or shouldn't I...I guess it's all the same when the lights go out. ???

Did the wires at 50,000 miles work great... Thinking about the coils but just have not yet... Mostly because of the price verses performance gain...  Keep us posted if you get the coils...

I researched the other threads and a lot of people believe that the stocl coils are enough to handle 500+hp...my 2500 is basically stock and the hp to $...well a Diablo tuner sounds more of a smarter investment.  But that boat of your could probably use a full MSD marine ignition setup! (y)

Dae_Ma said:
Ok, it's been a while but after 70k plus miles on the Av and warranty has expires I've been contemplating buying the multi-spark coil set for 8.1l from Summit.  I've aleady ordered the wires after reading the all the positive reports on the 1500's and figured that the stock wires need replacing anyway...but haven't read about anyone doing this for the 2500's or about the coil package.    The coil packs are $631.00 a set of 8, the wires are the same ones for the 1500 as for the 2500 @ $64.00 set..inflation since the last post in '05. Anyone have thoughts?? Or have done this mod?  Should I...or shouldn't I...I guess it's all the same when the lights go out. ???

I have been thinking of the coil packs also. I have a friend who put them on his Firebird and swears there is a much better throttle response. Horsepower increase, if any, would probably need a dyno test to see the difference. As my friend pointed out to me, many feel a throttle response improvement and think they have picked up horsepower, but that is not necessarily the case. But I will say this, the MSD coils look really sharp. The $$$ are the only thing holding me back right now. I've got 106,000 miles on my '02 2500 and think that the coils should be my next mod. Did the plugs and wires a little while ago. Let me know how it goes if you do the MSD coil mod.

...a friend in CA has a 1500 and he did this mod last 6 months...no noticable change...said that the money was better spent on a tuner (Diablo).  I did some research and spoke to several people, the MSD puts out about 45-46000 Volts and the stock GM about 44-45000 and is capable of sustaining 8000+ rpm with even voltage distribution across the band.  The coils are similar to the recent 'vettes, Trans Am, GTO 0f similar year(s).  Final word....I think that I'll just settle for plugs, MSD wires and a tuner saving 3-400 dolloars...now which tuner  ??? :E:

Dae Ma - Do the Hypertech- many issues with Diablo. Better yet a custom dyno tune if THE way to go.

Avalon

Stock coils and wires are fine for a lot power, seen set ups making 1,000hp on stockers... Spend the money elsewere. Good plugs are agood investment though, I prefer NGK myself. (y)

I did the msd coils taylor ngk plugs and taylor 10mm wires and i found it has much more pep to me i am very happy with how the 8.1 runs now.

I have a 2003 2500 and need the MSD part number for the replacement ignition coil pack.

Lord Aries said:
Stock coils and wires are fine for a lot power, seen set ups making 1,000hp on stockers... Spend the money elsewere. Good plugs are agood investment though, I prefer NGK myself. (y)

jimjtul  :welcome:

Chech out LS1.com

If you must.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/msd-ignition/make/chevrolet/department/ignitions-electrical/part-type/ignition-coils/engine-family/chevy-small-block-gen-iii-iv-ls-based-engines/product-line/msd-multiple-spark-coils-and-coil-kits?autoview=SKU

MSD does not list a PN for the AV 2500, but if you use their fitment guide and match the coils on the 8.1L  then it looks like the 82858 would fit. Has anybody put these on their 8.1L???

The voltage on these are 40K... And they have gone up in price since the first post, they are over $700.00 a set now...

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=15358

I have run MSD products for years. I even bought their first design drop in self contained GM distributers. It had a big ugly module hanging on it.
Dropped that in a 427 with a torque starter it fired at the touch of the key. Can?t say enough about using their distributers and boxes over the years. 
  MSD Ignition's Multiple Spark Coils (MSC) will fit in place of the stock GM LS coils and connect directly to the factory connectors. Once installed, you'll have the power and performance of higher energy sparks, crowned with MSD's multiple spark discharge. Increased spark energy and voltage, along with multiple spark capabilities, help improve the combustion process of the fuel mixture to create an efficient burn. This results in improved throttle response, smooth idle and quick starts, plus increased high rpm performance!
The key capabilities;
So if you are not running a box with multiple spark why the coils?  I see you have a Nelsen Tune have you talked to them to see if there is any benefit in the coils. Or are just seeing if anyone has tried them? 
  I run their wires for the BLING on my stock 5.3, $700.00 that?s a lot BLING.

In the below article a blown 560 rwhp mustang's stock 20kV coils were replaced with 65kV coils from Granatelli Motor Sports.  Picked up 20 peak hp - 18 peak ft-lbs.  Authors were more impressed with average gains across the rpm range of 15 hp and 14 ft-lbs.

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/a-guide-to-modular-motor-coil-packs/

Over at LS1 Tech there is no improvement  http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/755974-msd-coil-packs-any-better-than-factory-ls1-worth-buying-l92-build-2.html

The factory AC Delco coils with short wires provide plenty of juice.

Avalon

Yes, just seeing if anyone has put them on and was there any difference in performance or MPG.. To me there cost verses gain is not really worth it unless someone says they really made a difference. I have also have used MSD boxes, limiters and wires on cars, boats and bikes and have always been happy with their products....

New vehicles use the ecm to control the coils and no one makes a box that interfaces. The MSD coils for the LS motors only give multiple sparks at idle so they may help at idle and off idle tip in plus a little better under load with extra fire power..

enoniam said:
In the below article a blown 560 rwhp mustang's stock 20kV coils were replaced with 65kV coils from Granatelli Motor Sports.  Picked up 20 peak hp - 18 peak ft-lbs.  Authors were more impressed with average gains across the rpm range of 15 hp and 14 ft-lbs.

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/ignition-electronics-efi/a-guide-to-modular-motor-coil-packs/

I almost put that if I was running FI the coils would be something to look at.
But I believe they have been talking a stock LS engines no mods. So why the coils is my question.

JVZL1 said:

I almost put that if I was running FI the coils would be something to look at.
But I believe they have been talking a stock LS engines no mods. So why the coils is my question.

As with any upgraded ignition system the coil energy is allways the key to performance, mpg and emissions.. The MSD coils have some of the technology of the MSD Box in them with the multiple spark at idle and higher output.. As that write up on the Mustang showed there is power to be had especially on a blown motor with higher cylinder pressures..

Randy said:
As with any upgraded ignition system the coil energy is allways the key to performance, mpg and emissions.. The MSD coils have some of the technology of the MSD Box in them with the multiple spark at idle and higher output.. As that write up on the Mustang showed there is power to be had especially on a blown motor with higher cylinder pressures..

:badidea: Well SOS Coils are a bad Idea!  # 7 Coil went bad so I replaced them All with Delco D581 Factory Coils.  (y)

I put on a set of 8- S O S Coils # 65350 $500.00 and saved around $300 same power, 10mm. Wires and E3 # E3-62 Spark Plugs in my 06' 2500. And replaced my  Mass Air with a Granatelli Motor Sports Mass Air Sensor # 350115-C, Tune for a K&N Cold Air Filter #K&N 57 Series. Plus I pickup a Diablo Sports Intune 1000 and have progamed the tire size & 4.56 Gears and MPH our dead on with the truck.  And it runs better and you can tell, no more poping sounds or jerks.   Donald

I think you are going to find the E3 plugs will not work that well for long. I would HIGHLY suggest switching back to a new set of AC Delcos.

The coils look interesting.

Good luck

Avalon

Mines a 2002 and the DUI doesn't make or have a coil for it or so they say. But looking at the 2002 8.1L coil part number and the 2002 LS1/ LS6, they are the same so I picked up a set of the MSD off a friend with a Vet that bought them and never used them for $400. I put them on with a new set of plugs and it seems the run smoother, multiple sparks at idle and 40KV can't hurt. I only have about a 100 miles on them so far but so far so good...

MSD 82858 is the part number for a set..

Attachments

• 81L MSD Coils - Copy.jpg
    81L MSD Coils - Copy.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 153
Update on MSD coils...

After having the coils on for about 200 hundred miles the number four cylinder started missing so I switched the plug wire with the number two cylinder with no change, then swapped the plugs and still no change. I then swapped the coil with the number 6 cylinder and the miss followed. Sent it back to MSD and they sent a new one to replace it and it's running fine again.

Also Summit and Jegs have dropped the price on the MSD coils from around $700 to $577.

Update 7/2/15

No problems since replacing the one bad coil, motor running great, defiantly runs smoother and has better throttle response. Hard to tell at this time if there is any MPG gained, AV has mostly been driven on short trips around town with a little highway in between but it seems like my average has gone up a little..

Update on the MSD coils I put on..

They have been on for about 6,000 miles with most of my driving having a lot of traffic and city driving, but at the end year I made  couple of long trips, mostly highway and was able to get good mileage numbers.. My mpg average is up over 1 mpg on the same trip, and I've never gotten 13 mpg running at 80 mph before and the only difference is the MSD Coils and new plugs (ACDelco Platinum 41-983) gaped at .060.

Also the motor feels like it's running smoother and it pulls real nice trough the gears.

Filled up at     Miles        Gals          MPG       Conditions
 300              300        22.67 13.23    100% Highway @ 75-80 mph

578              278        23.01 12.08    50% Highway Stop and go, 50% Highway # 75-80 mph

910              332        32.20 10.31    25% City, 25% Highway Stop and go, 50% Highway @ 80 mph plus a pretty good head wind

13 MPG at 80 is impressive.

I always get better mileage going South on I-5 and that also includes going over a mountain pass with a pretty steep grade (6%), but that's the best I've ever gotten cruising above 75 mph. Mileage is defiantly up a little bit..

Back