• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 AVY RELIABILITY ????

THRASHER13

IM WONDERING HOW RELIABLE THESE THINGS ARE? I HAVE 52K ON MINE AND I BOUGHT IT USED 3MO AGO. 5 RECALLS SO FAR DONE  ALONG WITH AC SENSOR FIXED AND CROSSMEMBER WASHERS REPLACED.I GUESS THE 2004 MODEL DOESNT HAVE A MODEL LETER SYSTEM ??? ITS A 2 WHEEL DRIVE 1500 THATS ALL I KNOW. LT, LS, LTZ, DO NOT APPLY ON THIS YEAR ??????????? I HAVE YET TO FIND THIS YEAR WITH ANY BADGES. ANY WAY IF SOME MEMBERS CAN LET ME KNOW ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS THEVE HAD WITH THERES I WOULD TOTALLY APPRECIATE THAT.  IM HEARING THAT THE REAR END ON SOME OF THESE ARE HAVING BIG TIME PROBLEMS???I LOVE CHEVYS AND  STILL AM RELUCTANT TO LET MY SILVERADO GO.THANKS GUYS, SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS I SUCK AT KEYBOARDS ................

:welcome:

Mine is an 03 and haven't really had too many problems.  Intermediate sterring shaft and added the body spacers are about it.  I do over maintenance and nothing is still stock on my truck anyways. 

the 2004 is as reliable as all of the other years. The only problem that was fairly specific to the 2004 was problems with the instrument cluster, but that will be covered under warranty no matter how many miles you have.  Reliability is very dependant on how the previous owner took care of the truck. The crossmember washer replacement is not that uncommon if the vehicle was driven in a corrosive environment.

THRASHER13 said:
SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS I SUCK AT KEYBOARDS ................

Try this one.

capslock.jpg

It works.

"The only problem that was fairly specific to the 2004 was problems with the instrument cluster, but that will be covered under warranty no matter how many miles you have."

that is not true, i have an 04 with 85,000 on it, the warranty on the cluster is only good till 70,000....i just guess how fast im going now....

aveon22s said:
"The only problem that was fairly specific to the 2004 was problems with the instrument cluster, but that will be covered under warranty no matter how many miles you have."

that is not true, i have an 04 with 85,000 on it, the warranty on the cluster is only good till 70,000....i just guess how fast im going now....
Hey aveon22s  :welcome: We just had a Get together last weekend and went right past your neck of the woods to Volant, PA. We've got a Christmas Lights GTG coming up next month. Here's the info in this thread.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,104825.0.html

Sorry for the  :jacked: We've got a new Ohio member that I wanted to say  :wave: to and invite him to a GTG.

THRASHER13 said:
IM WONDERING HOW RELIABLE THESE THINGS ARE? I HAVE 52K ON MINE AND I BOUGHT IT USED 3MO AGO. 5 RECALLS SO FAR DONE  ALONG WITH AC SENSOR FIXED AND CROSSMEMBER WASHERS REPLACED.I GUESS THE 2004 MODEL DOESNT HAVE A MODEL LETER SYSTEM ??? ITS A 2 WHEEL DRIVE 1500 THATS ALL I KNOW. LT, LS, LTZ, DO NOT APPLY ON THIS YEAR ??????????? I HAVE YET TO FIND THIS YEAR WITH ANY BADGES. ANY WAY IF SOME MEMBERS CAN LET ME KNOW ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS THEVE HAD WITH THERES I WOULD TOTALLY APPRECIATE THAT.  IM HEARING THAT THE REAR END ON SOME OF THESE ARE HAVING BIG TIME PROBLEMS???I LOVE CHEVYS AND  STILL AM RELUCTANT TO LET MY SILVERADO GO.THANKS GUYS, SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS I SUCK AT KEYBOARDS ................

hey i love my 2004 i have 130,000 miles on it havent had any magor problems with it closest thing to a problem was that the support calbes from the bed to the tailgate were recalled because water was able to get inside them nd rust them to nothing. almost all 2004 owners were notified and replaced them. other then that check to see that the transmission shifts at decent rpms cause there was the rariety of them getting stuck in certain gears. you will know imediatly if there is a problem with this jsut by driving the truck. good luck

Hi THRASHER13,
You should check out the polls in each problem section that are based on model years. That can help you see trends and problem areas. I agree with others, it depends on maintenance as far as problems sometimes. I had a Z71 2004 AV and had almost no problem with it, it was a very dependable truck.
There is also a poll based by model year that asks if you had to get another vehicle knowing what you now know about Avalanches would you buy another one? Majority says yes and there are many members that have more than one Avalanche or they have traded in and bought a second or third Avalanche too.
For more info on your year Avalanche look in the resources section for owners manual and other related subjects.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/2004/index.html

2004 Z71 here.

Only issues I had were the intermediate shaft, tailgate cables, and the instrument cluster.
I have 56k miles on it now. Everything else (minus rear brake pads) is original, even the tires.

Back