• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Jasper Park Meet In Feb?

Chasman

Charter Member
SM 2003
Any AV'rs interested in cruising to Jasper for a weekend? The Edmonton Chapter is putting together a special package with hotel and tours. The date will be decided in the next week, so if you have a preference let me know!
Possible tour will be a Maligne Canyon ice walk - in the night time!! What a blast!

Hmmm...455 miles from Seattle. That seems pretty do-able. What month are you considering doing this, Chas?

Steel I'm waiting to see what kind of deals I can get on accomodations and tours. There is little snow up there right now and the local merchants can sure use some business. We'll probably pick a weekend in February or early March. I'll let you know once we have some answers.
There are still plans for an Icefields Parkway cruise in early July, though that might be tough with National later that same month. At any rate it won't stop me from attending both!!

February 17 is Family Day here in Alberta, making it a long weekend. What better way to spend the weekend than taking your family on an ice-walk, cross country ski, or a run down Marmot Basin? Is this good for you?

If the room rates remain at $60 per night, I am able to attend. (I am now worrying since the weather is turning more 'winter-like' that their rates will return to normal.) My parents may be attending as well, since they enjoy the mountains as well, and like riding in the truck. I will keep you notified if they are attending.

Cool!!! We have our own meet place!!!

Boar-Ral and Leather: I will let you know the final rate and phone numbers for booking rooms.
Any other folks interested out there?

Chasman said:
Cool!!! We have our own meet place!!!
Yeah, isn't it great? It's more easily organized now. All four major Canadian (Alberta) meets! ;)
Chasman said:
Boar-Ral and Leather: I will let you know the final rate and phone numbers for booking rooms.
If you could prepare a rough itinerary with prices, it would be greatly appreciated. I believe you mentioned a tour through the icefield walkway? If I know what I am going to pay for the entire thing, I can put aside that much money for the weekend.

Actually, I'll probably be over to your shop in a few minutes. :)

So what's the low-down on the itinerary? I looked in the meets section and didn't see anything--am I looking in all the wrong places?

Brendan

We're still finalizing the itinerary, Brendan, but here's a few teasers. Note that all activities are applicable to AVr's of any age, 5 - 75 and beyond.

Alpine skiing at Marmot Basin. See: http://www.skimarmot.com/

Cross country skiing at Maligne Lake, beginners can rent locally: See
http://www.worldweb.com/parkscanada-jasper/on-line_tour/maligne.html
http://www.explorejasper.com/sights/malignelake.htm

Maligne Canyon Ice Walk: day or nighttime tours. See:
http://sundogtours.com/JasperTourFrame.html

Ice Skating at the Jasper Park Lodge or Pyramid Lake

One of the best Triple A prime rib dinners in the world at the Tonquin Prime Rib Village.

Shopping downtown Jasper and the Jasper Park Lodge.

1/2 day cruise on the Glacier Parkway to the Columbia Icefields.

Wilderness drive in search of wildlife: elk, mountain sheep, and anything else that's awake at this time of year (due to lack of snow and warm temps grizz have been up and prowling as late as three weeks ago)

Get together Friday and Saturday nights to discuss the day's activities.

Activities will be optional; take your pick!

What's the deal with Shania? I don't get it, Chasman. Were you serious--is she gonna be at Jasper? Does she own an Avalanche? What's the connection? My wife digs her music, I can tolerate it for an hour or so.. :)

And what of the "Jasper rules!" post?

Brendan

Let's stop the rumor now: Shania Twain is not a for sure at the Jasper meet (although I don't know why she wouldn't want to come).
Jasper rules was a shameless posting to put this meet onto the top 10 list. Gotta get the message out, br.

Got it, Chasman. My post was half curiosity and half giving you crap. hehehe...

Good luck with the outing--I was tryin' to see if I could go (wife will be away that weekend), but I think it's too far--something like 700 miles each way from here.

Brendan

Did you catch Shania at the half time show, Brendan? Huh? Huh?

Still working on the itinerary folks. If you're interested in attending please let me know this week!!!!

Chas,

Yea I saw Shania at half-time and drooled!! a lot !!! :love: :love:

Btw Have your wife take lots of pictures at the Jasper meet. I think she might still need some practice so she doesn't duck ;)

Wish I was going but that is too far for me. :cry:

Chasman said:
Flynhigh I'm planning a canoe trip on the Red Deer River in June and Julie won't come!! I don't know why not :cautious: :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I can't think of any reason either ;) >:D

Any more news confirmed on the weekend trip to Jasper?

lanche_armstrong said:
Any more news confirmed on the weekend trip to Jasper?
I will cut and paste what I wrote up for the magazine after Chasman provided me the information:

Family Day Long Weekend Jasper Meet
Jasper, Alberta
February 15 - 17, 2003

Come spend the long weekend with the CAFCNA Edmonton Chapter in Jasper and enjoy alpine skiing at Marmot Basin, cross-country skiing at Maligne Lake, the Maligne Canyon ice walk, ice skating at the Jasper Park Lodge or Pyramid Lake, and a half-day cruise on the Glacier Parkway to the Columbia Icefields! All activities are optional.

Forgive my writing skills.. it was the best I could come up with on short notice. :)

Back