• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best Looking Aftermark Backup Camera

omlifecrew

What is the best aftermarket backup camera and screen for a 2007 Avalanche?  I want something that will look nice close to stock and not stand out. Are there any screens that you would recommend to replace/clip over my rear view mirror? That would be my 1st option.

Thanks

how much do you want to spend? For about 600-800 dollars total you can add b/up camera and dvd / navigation as well. I personally researched this heavily after almost backing over \/ into one to many people in a parking lot. I finally settled on this set up;

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,104241.0.html

Visor View, replaces your driver mirror on the visor

http://www.visorview.com/VV4_camera_system.html

Don't have one yet, but planning on it.  Found it when doing research on a backup cam.

I was looking at spending 200-300 dollars.  I already have a single din pioneer unit and the trimmings from my Camaro so I dont really want to buy a new unit like the F90BT...wife won't let me.  I also have a GPS receiver.  So adding another unit on the window would make me look like a cop.  I think I will scope out the Visor monitor and backup cam.

Thanks GoNavy429 and iamten7

Ya i think I looked at the visor view as well. I just wasn't thrilled with having to flip my visor down every time I wanted to use it. I also had already installed a single din unit in my Av before stumbling on the F90bt. I justified it with simple math. A wireless b/up cam was 200-300 and reliability of signal is somtimes shady. A navigation unit 100-300 that now has to sit on my dash and attract thieves if I'm in a hurry and forget to remove and hide, also a hassle. If I want a Nav unit that has Blutooth that's more $$ and now I'm more than half way to the cost of the F90bt + the cam system from CubbyCam. So with that in mind I started to think of the look of my Av inside and out. I didn't want the cluttered dash and drivers area. The Cubby system with the factory look of the cam sold me because it looked exactly that clean and factory.
     You can sell the wife on the F90bt by telling her your going to sell the old nav and radio on e-bay and make up part of the cost. By going through the MSN Live.com search engine and paying thru paypal on ebay, if you have a live cash back account, you can save even more money on the f90bt I think they are still at 25%. Finally add up the costs of all the items seperately the Radio/HD-Radio/Satelite XM&Sirius radio/DVD/CD/iPod/Blutooth/Nav + the b/up cam then subtract the savings and sell the package to her like a used car salesman. I went with the look how much money I saved and how much value I added to the car route. I also used the safety angle touting the long 55' blind spot behind the Av and how in this economy I wouldn't put it past someone to jump behind my car for a quick buck, as well as the legal aspect of it saying that the law requires handsfree phone use. Lastly I like to go by the moto better to ask for forgivness than to beg for permission>:D

Great Justification...you should be a marriage counselor... :kidding:

That really seems like the best option for me.  I installed a D3 in a friends car and like that so much, however it lacked the bluetooth.  That add on was like 100 more.  So I think I will try the F90bt.  Is it compatible with previous xm tuners or do you have to upgrade?  What kind of camera was included in the package?  One last question...what was the dash kit that you bought to install the kit?

• omlifecrew said:
    Is it compatible with previous xm tuners or do you have to upgrade?  What kind of camera was included in the package?  One last question...what was the dash kit that you bought to install the kit?

OK
    • I am not completely clear on the units ability to mesh with other xm tuners but I believe I did read somewhere that it does so I think you just need to check with Pioneer. They do list two units that do not work with the unit in the owners manual.
    • The camera system comes from CubbyCam who is a member here, a huge Av owner & fan club supporter, as well as having the same Pioneer set up in his Av. Plus he is a wealth of knowledge when you need tech support if you install the cam and stereo yourself.
    • I went with the Scoche kit after talking to installers for advice they seemed to prefer the fit. I am not sure the model number you will need but search their site for your vehicle needs they will have the exact model # you can use to search on Live.com/eBay. I will add that it appears after talking to many other people using a variety of kits there isn't one of them out there that has the exact fit down. I ended up using some nylon washers I found @ the TruValue to get the unit completely flush where it was supposed to be with the dash bezel. I admit I wanted it to look perfect as though that was the way came originally from the factory.  :beating:

omlifecrew said:
    Does cubbycam make anything for 2007 and up Avalanches?

Yes see above.

If you could, i would say get you a radio with a back up camera and navi. You will love it because it will reduce clutter. I have a Kenwood DNX-5120. It does everything, I couldn't live without. It does the bluetooth stuff, but I haven't messed with because I just never cared too. I got it for about 500 and some change off EBay and they threw in the harness/kit for free. It uses Garmin technology for the Navi so that may be a plus or minus to you.

jpkjsl.jpg

29bc7j5.jpg

mrfrancis3000 said:
If you could, i would say get you a radio with a back up camera and navi. You will love it because it will reduce clutter. I have a Kenwood DNX-5120. It does everything, I couldn't live without. It does the bluetooth stuff, but I haven't messed with because I just never cared too. I got it for about 500 and some change off EBay and they threw in the harness/kit for free. It uses Garmin technology for the Navi so that may be a plus or minus to you.

Yes but the question was what is the best looking aftermarket backup camera. Does the Kenwood system come with a camera or did you have to buy the camera seperately?

iamten7 said:
Yes but the question was what is the best looking aftermarket backup camera. Does the Kenwood system come with a camera or did you have to buy the camera seperately?

Ohhhhhh. Nah, it didn't come with it. I paid for it at the shop I got the stuff installed at and I think it was 149.99 or something crazy. But you can get it much cheaper then that on EBAY (which I should've did)  :E:

omlifecrew said:
Thanks guys.  Still haven't pulled the trigger on a NAV system or Backup camera.  Do all backup camera's work in the dark?

Work is a matter of opinion on the question of the picture you will receive from the camera in low lighting conditions. That's how the manufacturer refers to the use of the camera when the sun is not shining. I believe all cameras will function after dark. Depending on the camera you buy you may or may not be able to make out clearly what is displayed on the screen. That is where your advanced forward research will come heavily into play before you buy a camera. I checked out all the cameras on-line that I could and compared the screen shots of daytime use and night use to see what kind of picture  I would see when in use. I readily eliminated cameras that didn't show any shots of night time use. Good Luck.

Just a note on the Kenwood 5120 listed above, it is only bluetooth ready, you have to buy and install another controller to get bluetooth, making the unit $150-200 more.....  I got a quote from a local store to install the Kenwood/w/bluetooth/w/backup/w/ipod and it was $1780....  Beware the hidden costs.

What are the 2 cameras that don't work with the AVIC?  I saw the note on which 2 Pioneer makes...

I opted for the Pioneed AVIC-F90BT for my 07 (www.cartronixplus.com), and I installed a backup camera/rear sensor system I got off Ebay for $170. The system came with a 3" color LCD in it's own little pod too. I obviously ditched the pod when I got the new AVIC unit, but it was a cool little unit before I got the new Pioneer.

Here's some install pics (Pre-Pioneer) - Backup Camera Install

woof said:
Just a note on the Kenwood 5120 listed above, it is only bluetooth ready, you have to buy and install another controller to get bluetooth, making the unit $150-200 more.....  I got a quote from a local store to install the Kenwood/w/bluetooth/w/backup/w/ipod and it was $1780....  Beware the hidden costs.

What are the 2 cameras that don't work with the AVIC?  I saw the note on which 2 Pioneer makes...

Just about every radio is bluetooth ready because they know they can make a pretty penny selling add-ons. When I shopped around, that was the case on every radio I saw. I got the radio and everything I wanted with the radio and had the shop install it for WAY cheaper then that. If you go online you can find the radio now for about 450-500 dollars because Kenwood is coming out with a new line.

I am actually using a $25 infrared/night vision, color/b&w camera with my backup system, and it works fine with my AVIC-F90BT
Fromt what I can tell, the simpler the camera, the more compatible it should be.
My camera has power wire and RCA output for video.
It gets it's power from the backup lights, and the head unit switches to the correct input when I put truck in reverse. I can actually see better at night in b&w mode on most occasions...as long as I remember to wipe the lens off every so often.  :beating:

I just found this thead, so sorry if I'm late to the party...

But I just wanted to mention that camera quality is extremely important when hooking up a backup camera- especially on the large (6"+) screens. A good quality cam with DSP and low light sensitivity will blow away any camera with IR. I have tested over 30 cameras and one thing really stands out and a good indicator of image quality overall- low light sensitivity. It is really hard to get good low light performance without a lot of noise.

Trust me on this.. spend the money on a good cam.

If you don't mind a quick plug.. I personally think this new CCD cam from my shop is amazing....

http://www.cubbycam.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=34

It will work great with any aftermarket system and all you need is your standard backup lights to see at night.

-Ed

The cubbycam looks awesome, but wouldn't it be blocked by a trailer ball unless its got a big drop? Any pics w a ball in place? Also any pics showing hooking up a trailer would be great. Thanks

I like where the original camera is mounted so I bought an aftermarket cam and drilled out the bezel.
Much better viewing angle when backing up or trying to line up a trailer.

$(KGrHqMOKpgE25e-8IPMBN3GVDgkHQ~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJFYE88fNMfzEBPZB2STSDw~~60_12.JPG

I got mine from Camera Source, fast shipping / good product / excellent customer service before and after the sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2012-Chevy-Avalanche-Backup-Camera-CCD-Kit-NEW-/220789667189?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item336816f575

DouglasOak, how did you manage to mount the camera in the factory spot? I took the plastic off the inside of the tailgate hoping that I would have some room to work an aftermarket camera in but discovered the tailgate was mostly solid with a small hole.

Did you use the small hole to fish the camera in? If so, how did you mount it? I'm wanting to put my aftermarket cam in there but don't see any way to place a mount in such a confined space. I also don't see a way to remove the plastic altogether, it seems to have double sided tape, can't find any screws.

I have a 2007 Avy

I can help with those 2 questions Hitman as I a similar install on my 07.
If you don't want to remove the spoiler, start,by Removing the plastic skin like you mentioned, the hard part is get the heart to drill the hole, most cameras will come with proper size but really any normal drill will do, make the width the same width as the threads, the outer lip of the camera will anchor the camera in place. Insert the camera video cable and power line up thru the hole, pull the camera up snug, now from the top side, slide the angle piece washer and the lock nut down the cables, the hole is kinda tight but squeeze your fingers in there to start the nut on the threads, then use a flat Blade screwdriver or similar tool to spin the nut around till snug. Careful to align the angle spacer correctly soothe camera is facing correctly. Then it is a matter of running the cables along with the others down the groove and Tap the power into the reverse light wire and then run the video cable under the left frame and up thru the grommet by driver left foot area.
Removing the spoiler is not hard to do or reinstall. Just be prepared to buy (ebay)7 new clips after you break yours pulling it off and also some new tape. First tape up the top edge to avoid scratches and slowly start prying up, it's just 3m dbl side tape under there.
Once you get that off, slowly,pull from one side and each clip,will pop off as u go. There is also 1 nut in the hole area also holding it on, remove from the skin side.
Reinstall by reapplying the tape on the top edge and placing the clips,in the spoiler piece and popping back in. Easy peasy!

Back