• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

5.3L lifters

kulsh

Does anyone know if you have to remove the heads to change out the lifters? Also does anyone know were I can get a repair manual for my 02 AV? :help:

You do not have to as you can take rockers off and then remove push rods and yuse magnet to pull them out... and grab them below..

BuT why are you replacing lifters?

Well I know I have piston slap on start up but when I hold 1500rpm"s I have what it sounds like lifters. I wont know until i pull the valve cover off.

ygmn said:
You do not have to as you can take rockers off and then remove push rods and yuse magnet to pull them out... and grab them below..

BuT why are you replacing lifters?

Uh, I believe you do have to take the heads off to replace the lifter.
We have hydraulic roller lifters.  They are in pairs, the bracket between the lifters keeps them from rotating or keeps the roller in-line with the cam.  So they won't fit through the pushrod opening.

They make a tool to hold the lifters up while changing a cam or you can use the magnet trick to get them high enough to swap cams.

lifter.jpg

kulsh said:
Well I know I have piston slap on start up but when I hold 1500rpm"s I have what it sounds like lifters. I wont know until i pull the valve cover off.

might I suggest getting a second opinion before opening it up.... might save ya some $$ and aggrevation

I just built a 6.0L this week, yes you have to take the heads off. as we have a roller rocker set up. B.T.W. DO NOT REUSE the head bolts they are a torque to yield design, which means that once they are streched that's it you have to get new ones. The good news is that I have the part number handy FEL-PRO # ES72220. you have to order 2 of them.Another good tip is on the illustrated picture you see the plastic lifter retainers,well they will drain more oil if you drill 1/2-inch holes on their lower face (the side that faces the pistons).Also if your goin to go that far into the engine but don't wanna go crazy as far as performance,I have a brand new stock set of valvesprings,cam and pushrods outta the 6.0 that I took out as soon as i got it. they have 0 miles. :cool: #7

Oh yeah as far as that tool that Waz is talking about. It is a valve spring compressor tool. thats if you want to change the springs, The easiest way to do that would be to  compress the spring, take the keys out then uncompress, to reinstall hold the valve up with your fingers then blow air into the cylinder via the spark plug hole (to hold the valve up) drop the sping on top,compress put the keys to lock it in uncompress and waa laah. she's done.

Now if your just going to change cam all ya gotta do is loosen the rockers, take the timing cover off , then take the cam retainer off.With your finger turn the cam one full rotation.you'll see there is a little nub that you can turn the cam with (That will push the lifters into those retainers for a little bit) the cam is hollow insert a 3/4 socket extension into the cam to help you pull it out. do the same to install except vise-versa. and you just added the easiest way to put about 60H.P to your engine. :cool: Hope that helps. #7

when you say to get 2 of them you mean 2 sets? is there a difference between ES72173?

Back