• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Everything about Spectre Cold Air Intake

ramonday

(y)

Installed mine a few days ago and the sound is just unbelievable! Absolutely mean >:D

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9900/10002/-1

Very easy install and things are easier to get to, as well. Past 2000rpm, it sounds like a monster is clawing out of the engine bay. Ridiculous! I love it!!!

Just had to share!

Photo0205.jpg

Shanes 02 Avalanche said:
I get mine tomorrow. I don't like the Airriad tube. So I bought the Spectra.

Ditto for me. I also didn't like the K&N tube. One thing I'll mention on installation is that once you get everything put on and buttoned down, drive it enough to get the clamps hot and then give them and the anti-vibration assembly just a little more tightening. I noticed mine was a little more loose than I wanted and that made it snug warm or cold.

Just installed mine and dam what a difference. The intake is huge compared with the Airraid. It is a straight forward install and pretty easy. Here are some pics of the old and new.

Attachments

• Old Airraid intake.JPG
    Old Airraid intake.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,905
  • Spectra 1.JPG
    Spectra 1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,025
It doesn't pull air from under the hood. It is separated from the engine and pulls air from under the front bumper. When you remove you stock airbox it leaves a nice big hole going down the outside or the wheel well. So the air you get is as cold as the outside air or cooler.

It doesn't pull air from under the hood. It is separated from the engine and pulls air from under the front bumper. When you remove you stock airbox it leaves a nice big hole going down the outside or the wheel well. So the air you get is as cold as the outside air or cooler.

Or cooler ?? How do you explain THAT? :)

Have you, by chance, measured your intake temp?

I would like to eventually get one with the chrome tube. How does this effect your MPG.... Power??

Sorry I have only burned 3/8Th of a tank in the past 2 weeks. So when i get gas I will give you a MPG. As for the cold air. The only way I can explain it to you is. Take out your air box. Look down the holethat goes behind the front bumper. It is completely separate from the engine and radiator. So unless the outside air is over 190 degrees it is cool. You are only sucking in the outside at whatever temp it is. I have a hell of a lot more power in the winter because the outside air is freezing. Your stock box also uses the exact same thing, except it is so restricted you don't get the benefit.

I can understand what you're saying. I recently put a K&N filter on the end of mine just to compare intake temps with and without the air box.

The K&N sat right where yours is. I measure my intake temps with my SCII (Scan Gauge II) and noticed that the intake temp difference between the ambient temp display on the mirror and the intake temps displayed by the SCII were actually more (+8-10? even when moving) than with the airbox.

I was wondering if you noticed the same thing. I mean surely a person doesn't buy a "cold air" intake and not measure to see if it makes a difference with the intake temps, right? That'd be like buying something to improve your MPG but never see if it actually increased you MPG. :) With you using that metal pipe and how it actually touches (!) the coolant line I'd expect your intake temps to actually be higher since metal retains and conducts heat more than plastic.

I, too, noticed the intake roar just with the K&N on the end. It was a bit addicting!  >:D

When you tested you temp, did you test the temp of the air down along side of the front of the wheel well? Did you have the filter separated from the engine bay with a box? Did you test when the vehicle was moving at 35MPH or any speed? Did you test without a fan shroud? did you test without a fan? does your radiator have a 1/2 gas on the top the allows fresh air to blow thru from the outside? If you are going to run tests you should always do a complete job, don't you think?

Now if you knew my setup, you would know that I don't have a fan shroud. I don't have a stock fan, I have electric ones. My CAI does not touch my radiator anywhere. My filter is isolated in its own box with air coming up from the fender well. But since you only did a mock test your readings are false. I did not by a temp meter, since I don't have much use for one yet. Oh and the biggest thing is it only cost $100. Maybe if I was spending $300 on a CAI then maybe I would have run tests. The thing that matters to me is it has good throttle response. Don't know about the MPG since I have only used 1/2 of a tank of gas. I know my throttle response is a hell of a lot better. I have a lot deeper throttle noise. Oh and the biggest one, I am not building a RACECAR. Here is a pic of my setup, so when you run your next test you have something to compare it to.

Attachments

• CAI setup 3.jpg
    CAI setup 3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,815
s_troop2 said:
How is it a "COLD" air intake if it pulls air from under the hood?  :rolleyes:

Have you by chance measure your intake temps before and after the install?

It's colder than the ambient temperature inside the engine bay. In fact, a stock air intake is also, by function, a cold air intake. However, as Shane said, the restriction is far greater in the stock setup vs the Spectre. The volume (per CFM) is twice as much over stock. Also, the filter is reusable.

Personally, after going through a few tanks, the MPG is the same, but there is more power on tap should the need arise. The sound is completely enthralling, but mostly aesthetic.

So, in a performance nutshell, this particular cold air intake gives the ability to take in twice as much air, probably only at full throttle. Not going to use that much, but it's there, looks and sounds terrific and makes things easier to get to.

You seem hostile. Why? I'm just trying to learn. :)

When you tested you temp, did you test the temp of the air down along side of the front of the wheel well?

No. My main concern is if the MAF is showing me correct info. I removed the airbox just to see if it was a heatsink of sort.

Did you have the filter separated from the engine bay with a box?

Well...in the case of the OEM box I would have to say yes. :)

Did you test when the vehicle was moving at 35MPH or any speed?

Yes, My two "comparisons" (not actually tests per se) were done both moving and not. Of course, it only matters to me about the temps when moving

Did you test without a fan shroud?
Uh...no.

did you test without a fan?
No.

does your radiator have a 1/2 gas on the top the allows fresh air to blow thru from the outside?
I'm actually not quite sure what a "1/2 gas" is.

If you are going to run tests you should always do a complete job, don't you think?
I'm not sure what tests you're talking about. But do you really think I need to remove my fan and shroud to see if my airbox is a heatsink??

Now if you knew my setup, you would know that I don't have a fan shroud. I don't have a stock fan, I have electric ones. My CAI does not touch my radiator anywhere.
I mixed up you with the picture posted above. Or rather, I mixed you up with ramonday. :) His intake pipe appears to be touching the coolant line.

My filter is isolated in its own box with air coming up from the fender well.
Isn't that the filter on the lower right hand side of your picture? How does the air get routed from the fender well?

But since you only did a mock test your readings are false.

Again I didn't really do "tests". You see, I'm stuck on this thing that my ambient air temp display in my mirror consistently shows the real air temp but my Scan Guage II shows my IAT to be 8?-10?+ higher than ambient even when moving. The displayed IATs also don't move up and down as much or as quickly as the ambient air temp display does when I'm moving. I thought it may have been my air box being a huge heatsink so I removed it just to see. I then noticed the temps were actually higher with the K&N filter where the airbox used to be. Now I didn't have any metal to "block" the engine heat. That's why I wondered if any of you guys with your cold air intakes with the filter exposed in the engine compartment had measured the temps to see if they actually bring in ambient temperature air. If so, then I need to get some heat shields.

Here's my thing, if the intake temps are too high the PCM will pull timing. It may or[/i]could[/i] be enough to negate any positive effect that the increased airflow that an intake gives. My truck has always felt like a slug, like its timing is backed off. I'm just wondering if this could be why.

Here is a pic of my setup, so when you run your next test you have something to compare it to.
Thanks for the pic. I like the electric fans!  (y)

When you completely remove the stock air box, you will see where the air come from. you can look straight down where the bottom of the box was and see the ground. This is where the cold air comes from. Without a heat shield seperating you engine compartment from the air filter, you will not get the benefits of a CAI. As for a 1/2 gap, I made a typo. When I installed my ne radiator it did not have the extra metal on top of the radiator, so I have a 1/2 inch gap there. My engine temp according to my water gauge is 170 degrees. When I finally buy a temp sensor then I can get a better figure.

When you completely remove the stock air box, you will see where the air come from. you can look straight down where the bottom of the box was and see the ground. This is where the cold air comes from.
Why do you think GM didn't pull air from there and instead pulled it from the fender? Seems easy enough to point the holes that way instead...

Without a heat shield seperating you engine compartment from the air filter, you will not get the benefits of a CAI.
To be quite honest, that statement can only be proved by actually measuring the intake temps before and after.

As for a 1/2 gap, I made a typo. When I installed my new radiator it did not have the extra metal on top of the radiator, so I have a 1/2 inch gap there.
If the filter pulls air from the area behind & below the headlights & bumper, why would this 1/2 gap above your radiator have anything to do with your intake's ability to ingest ambient temp air?

s_troop2 said:
I mixed up you with the picture posted above. Or rather, I mixed you up with ramonday. :) His intake pipe appears to be touching the coolant line.

It's close, but not touching. I made sure of that, trust me! It gets plenty hot enough from just the engine bay ambient temperature. Certainly do not need any more heat conducing to that bad boy!

It keeps cooler air coming into the engine to keep the ambient engine bay temp lower then a stock setup, not much, maybe hardly any, buy I don't care it looks way better then stock for 1. And if the manufacturers did everything possible to get the most out of the engines, cars and trucks would cost way to much money. If you doubt that look at the different models of the Vette. then look at the different engine setups.

And why does this seem to be such a big deal. If you think CAI's are just a hoax, then don't buy one. Stick with  the stock setup. I happen to know for a fact that mine is a lot better off the line, but most importantly passing a from 75 to 100. I floor my gas pedal and my truck takes off way better then stock. That is all I really care about.

As for the rest of your questions: If you look at your stock intake, see how many bends and turns it takes getting to the Throttle body. Then measure the intake pipe I.D. Mine rins pretty straight except for the last turn into the Throttle body. My I.D. is 80mm the whole way. Now basic physics says anything moves better with the least amount of resistance. So even if I am getting the exact same temputure air as you are. One: I am moving in a much less restricted enviroment, meaning I get more air to my TB faster and with more force. Two: My intake I.D. is way bigger then stock, so again I am moving more air with more force into my TB and intake.

So lets call it a day and you keep your stack setup I will keep modding mine. :needhug:

And why does this seem to be such a big deal. If you think CAI's are just a hoax, then don't buy one. Stick with  the stock setup.
Whoa...Never anywhere did I suggest, mention or indicate that I think they are a hoax. However, I want to know from someone who has one (you and others) if they are actually COLD AIR intakes. I'm well aware that they can flow more air. That's not my point. My point is if the air going into the past the MAF is above ambient to varying degrees it will pull timing and therefore power.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,111616.msg1747967.html#msg1747967

I am looking for ways to make sure the incoming air is true ambient temp air. If it's with a Spectre or K&N or Volant or stock...doesn't matter. I just want to see some numbers before I plunk down my hard earned cash on something.

but most importantly passing a from 75 to 100.
No comment.  :beating:  ;D

So even if I am getting the exact same temperature air as you are. One: I am moving in a much less restricted environment, meaning I get more air to my TB faster and with more force. Two: My intake I.D. is way bigger then stock, so again I am moving more air with more force into my TB and intake.

Sorry...seems as if you've changed subjects.  :eek: I'm only concerned about temps. :) However, you should look up Bernoulli's Principle. He'd argue about faster and with more force... ;)

ramonday said:
It's close, but not touching. I made sure of that, trust me!

Sorry...hard to tell from that picture. :)

I just ordered the exact same thing a few days ago. It should be here in a couple days. I was looking at the K&N's but I really just didn't have the money for one at the time, and I had already heard good things about the Spectre, from this thread I think I will be really satisfied with it.  (y)

The Jeg's site doesn't say whether this is a dry or oiled filter.  For those who have one, which is it?

Back