• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Annual Butterfield Canyon Cruise & GTG!! Sat., Oct 3rd, 2009

UtahAV

SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2004
SM 2003
Butterfield Canyon Fall Cruise & GTG!!
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009
Meet at 10:00 AM
Meet at:

Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse
7456 S. Plaza Center Dr. (Jordan Landing)
West Jordan, UT

337485956.jpg

337485942.jpg

337486003.jpg

You have waited. You have counted down. You have laid awake at night thinking about it. IT IS FINALLY HERE!! Our annual fall cruise up Butterfield Canyon!!

Join us for a cruise up Butterfield Canyon in the southwest corner of the Salt Lake Valley. We will cruise up the canyon and see the beautiful fall leaves then continue up to the overlook of Kennecott Utah Copper. This overlook gives you a rare look of the mine that not many get to see. You can also look out on the entire salt Lake Valley. From there we will cruise down Middle Canyon and into Tooele. At Tooele we will stop for lunch at Subway or your choice of several restaurants in the area.

I gave Trafficman the task of finding us another cool place to visit in Tooele and he pulled through again!!  :B: After lunch we will visit the Utah Fire Museum. The museum has an amazing collection of 35 fire apparatus and other firefighting displays.

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

This is not a GTG you want to miss! We will be talking about it until the next one in 2010!
See you there!!

Attending:
UtahAV​
funk drum​
badtuffstuff​
Trafficman​
Shane's 02 Avalanche :(
Aussie Red​
Walkabout​
Muggles​
RV'in AV 2500​

Haven't missed one yet, this is an awesome GTG. We will be there with the only Victory Red Avalanche. I look forward to this one every year. (y)

Ok gang be honest what is that road like ? You know I do want to come to this one but it is too soon to 100% commit yet. Pencil me in and tell me it is paved.

Well it is paved for most of it. we do get in the gravel going up and over the mountain. But the Av's don't get to dirty, and since it usually rains, it washes the mud right off. :laugh:

Aussie Red said:
Ok gang be honest what is that road like ? You know I do want to come to this one but it is too soon to 100% commit yet. Pencil me in and tell me it is paved.

The roads are about the same as they were at the place we went shooting at, but they can be wet with water from the rain

Shanes 02 Avalanche said:
Well it is paved for most of it. we do get in the gravel going up and over the mountain. But the Av's don't get to dirty, and since it usually rains, it washes the mud right off. :laugh:

Ah your AV doe not Shane lol the Pearl I think I showed all tosses mud and snot over the cab on to the one following me

Aussie Red said:
Ah your AV doe not Shane lol the Pearl I think I showed all tosses mud and snot over the cab on to the one following me

:laugh:
Just make sure Shane is following you and not me! 

Aussie Red said:

That is why you should lead, then you can just rain down mud on all of us. That should make you feel better. >:D. I do remember how bad your truck does throw mud and such everytime :E:. And I know how hard it is to keep a nice paint job nice without going off road. I just had my whole Josie repainted on June 5Th. She has to go back in here real soon to have the cladding re-gatorbacked. I think when the Gatorbacked it they did not clean it right or Scrotch Bright it properly. They also did not remove aly of the diamond plate in the running boards or rear bumper. So I have Gatorback coming off all over, and I am pissed :E:. So now the body shop gets to do it all over again.

Trafficman said:
          :laugh:
Just make sure Shane is following you and not me! 

Oh now wait just one minute. Am I not remembering one  going through mud puddles on a certain gtg ? Darn wish you had rolled by round two so I had pics

Ya, well I just finished cleaning THAT Mud out of my engine yesterday.  :laugh:

I know I'm a big procastenator or something like that.

The train in back of my office Blows it's horn evety morning.  I keep thinking you are passing by saying hi.....

You all have seen how clean my engine is. I spend a lot of time getting it to look so nice. This winter I am going to try and do some painting and even more detailing to her. But it is all worth it. I know after the last time we went to Laughlin, I had to wait until March or early April to clean her. It sucks but I do so enjoy it. Butterfield is very minor dirt compared to other GTG's we have been on.

Aussie Red said:

Aussie I really hope you will decide to join us. I think know you will have a great time. The views are spectacular and the leaves are usually AMAZING.

Here is a no bull, straight up assessment of the road.

We will cruise on paved roads from Jordan Landing in West Jordan to the mouth of Butterfield Canyon. Once we start up the canyon the road is still paved but narrows significantly. The trees form a canopy over the road in places but if you move more towards the center of the road there is no problem with them. Remember this is a scenic canyon road, not a road used for getting to and from anywhere. There is very little traffic. About half way up the road comes out of the trees and begins to hug the walls of the canyon. In this area of the road we will need to hug the right side occasionally to allow cars coming down to pass. When this happens you will need to put the right side tires in the dirt. There is a berm of dirt and rocks about a foot high on the sides of the road. It is soft and it is no problem to put a tire in it. When we are almost to the top the pavement ends and a well groomed dirt and rock road begins. At the summit we will turn to the north and continue up the mountain. The first part is dirt and rock and is usually heavily wash boarded. It is very bumpy but easily passable. We will then start into some sharp and steep switch backs. The turns on the switch backs usually have some shallow ruts at the base and then turn mainly to solid rock. Once out of the switch back area the road turns to a mainly hard packed clay surface. This part of the road is very pleasant. Very smooth from here to the top. We also drive through a beautiful grove of aspens in this area. After stopping at the top to view the copper pit we use the same road back down to the summit of Butterfield Canyon. To this point the road has to put up little dust when dry due to the large amount of rock mixed in. Once back to the summit we will continue west down Middle Canyon into the Tooele Valley. The road will be dirt for probably the next 4 or 5 miles. The road on this side tends to be a bit dustier as there is not as much rock in the soil. I almost prefer this road to be wet as the mud doesn't seem to stick to the tires and it keeps the dust down. Either way it really isn't that bad. The road then turns to pavement again for the rest of the day.

Now if you are thinking I made the roads sound really bad, they are not. We will be passing and following passenger cars all day. I have seen sedans do every one of the roads we will be on with no problems. Your AV is going to get dirty. Your AV is not going to get filthy. Overall I really do believe that your AV got dirtier at the shooting GTG than it will get at this GTG. It will have a light coat of dust on it if it is dry out. If it rains you will have some mud on the rocker panels and in the wheel wells. We will never be going fast enough to get it much higher than that. We will never go over 30 MPH on the dirt roads. Most of it will be slower.

There it is. That is as accurately as I can describe what we will encounter.

You will have a great time and I really don't think you will regret going at the end of the day. Just don't let badtuffstuff convince you to follow him to the rock climbing at Miller Motorsports Park!   >:D   >:D

See you there!

-UtahAV
-Mark

Thank you Mark. Great explanation. Wish I had the Silverado  :laugh: :laugh:
Yea I know that was bad. Ok here is the deal I am going to go because I read your Butterfield Canyon cruise last year as you might remember before I had any idea I was moving to Utah and I really thought this one was so neat and wanted to go. Little did I know I would have the chance. That said I am coming along. Now bear in mind the Pearl is a bit more rigid then the other AVs and bumps lol are going to feel like I am going into a canyon  :laugh: :laugh:
After this cruise I am heading off to Montana for a few weeks so the Pearl can not get broken.

Great! I was really hoping you would! You will have fun, I promise. The only really bumpy spot is right when we turn towards the copper pit from Butterfield Summit. That section is the washboarded area and it only lasts maybe a 1/4 mile.

(y)

-UtahAV
-Mark

Aussie Red said:
Thank you Mark. Great explanation. Wish I had the Silverado  :laugh: :laugh:
Yea I know that was bad. Ok here is the deal I am going to go because I read your Butterfield Canyon cruise last year as you might remember before I had any idea I was moving to Utah and I really thought this one was so neat and wanted to go. Little did I know I would have the chance. That said I am coming along. Now bear in mind the Pearl is a bit more rigid then the other AVs and bumps lol are going to feel like I am going into a canyon  :laugh: :laugh:
After this cruise I am heading off to Montana for a few weeks so the Pearl can not get broken.

With you with us I know the weather will be PERFECT.  THis will be a first>>>>>>>..........!!!!!!!

UtahAV said:
Great! I was really hoping you would! You will have fun, I promise. The only really bumpy spot is right when we turn towards the copper pit from Butterfield Summit. That section is the washboarded area and it only lasts maybe a 1/4 mile.

(y)

-UtahAV
-Mark
:laugh: Wonders if Utah Av is running in front of the Pearl when he hits that " little bump "  :laugh: :laugh:

Aussie Red said:
What sweeties but with my luck we will have snow  :laugh:

Wouldn't be the first time...  :rolleyes:

Seriously, we have had snow. Just a skiff but it was snow.

-UtahAV
-Mark

Aussie Red said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: oh now there is something I will be looking forward too.......... NOT !

October 13th 2007 Butterfield canyon GTG.....

Attachments

• Buter_10_13_07.jpg
    Buter_10_13_07.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 55
Back