• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Avalanche owner- you guys are scaring me!

beergut

New to the forum- Hi ya'll!

So- I just picked up my 04 Avalanche Z71 two days ago- $14k - 87k miles, with a 2 year (or 34k mike) extended warranty ($1500)- $4k down and financed the rest (60 months @ 6%) The Dealer (a small used car lot) installed new brakes & tires all around- truck was mint otherwise, absolutly beautiful inside & out.

On the way home from the dealer the engine light came on- and I noticed a "clunk" in the steering column while turning right- and a slight vibration (maybe in the drive train) starting at about 60 mph...

I didn't notice any of this during the short test drive-

Anyway- figured I'd read up on these issues, and found you guys.
The dealer is checking the engine light on Monday- but said he drove it for a week before he sold it to me and never noticed any issue with the steering, so now I'm preparing for a battle there.

The local factory Chevy dealer said they have the steering shaft in stock for $98, plus another $90 to install it.

But the more I read on this forum, I more nervous I get, wondering if I made the right choice-

I need a truck- I own a 19' jet boat, 3 large 4x4 atv's and do a lot of wood working- so this truck fit the bill nicely.
I do love the truck- but I am a little nervous. Previously I was a ford truck owner- had 3 fords and every one of them had tranny & (noisy) power steering issues. So I'm finished with ford.

No worries beergut, steering column is a easy fix the vibration is probably the balance on the tires.

Opps :welcome: to the club.

MS03 beat me to it...  :welcome: 

Yes you will find issues with the Av discussed in varying detail on the forums here, while that might be scary to some I personally like to know about any possible issues with my truck.  Yes it's difficult and there are many overlapping possible problems, but it's nice having an idea what it could be when you do go into the mechanic, rather then goin in blind.  Every vehicle has it's quirks, I hope your issues are not severe.

Good Luck and Happy Av'in!

:laugh:
MS03 2500 said:
No worries beernuts,

No wondering whats on your mind MS.  :welcome: to the site beergut.

No worries beernuts,

if I were actually taking genetic physicality's into account- it would be more like BEARnuts  :cool:

steering column is a easy fix the vibration is probably the balance on the tires

I really love the truck- so I'll do what I have to to get'er right.
The dealer said he did a high-speed balance on the new tires- I'll have a factory tech drive it  for a better diagnostic.

Maybe you guys can help me with something else-

I have the passenger / driver dual climate controls. Everything works like it should, but if I put the passenger control where the cold & hot meet- it sounds like a motor stays on and I hear faint rattles- loud enough for me to notice with the vehicle running while parked-  it'll only go away if I slide the control all the way up to hot, or down to cold- then the rattles disappear. Only does it on the passenger side.

:welcome: to CAFCNA Beergut.
Some minor problems are to be expected when you buy a used vehicle. But you will get all the answers to straighten them out on this site.

Best bet is to first research each problem you have in appropriate problem section..read threads.. ons of info..

Then if yo do not find answer start individual thread for each issue you have in appropriate section.... to get best answers...

Welcome to club...
and I hate to say it but a very good and long test drive is very important before buying any vehicle new or used.. also checking it out very carefully wil allow you to be able to negoitae over any issues before you own truck..

good luck !!!

Take your time and enjoy the site, it has plenty of info on what you need to know and how to get it fixed. And a lot of other stuff that is useless to to the AV but yet it is a important part of the social side of this forum.

Good Luck and welcome to the club.. :cheers:

Be sure they give you one of the new redesigned steering shafts  p/n 19155614    If the one they sell you is old stock, it will start causing problems again in 1-2 years...

Welcome to the club!

beergut said:
if I were actually taking genetic physicality's into account- it would be more like BEARnuts  :cool:

I really love the truck- so I'll do what I have to to get'er right.
The dealer said he did a high-speed balance on the new tires- I'll have a factory tech drive it  for a better diagnostic.

Maybe you guys can help me with something else-

I have the passenger / driver dual climate controls. Everything works like it should, but if I put the passenger control where the cold & hot meet- it sounds like a motor stays on and I hear faint rattles- loud enough for me to notice with the vehicle running while parked-  it'll only go away if I slide the control all the way up to hot, or down to cold- then the rattles disappear. Only does it on the passenger side.

Sounds to me like the butterfly on the hot/cold damper has something  getting blown in the breeze...perhaps a loose sticker or piece of tape???

Sounds to me like the butterfly on the hot/cold damper has something  getting blown in the breeze...perhaps a loose sticker or piece of tape???

I can actually hear what sounds like an electric servo or motor constantly adjusting directly behind the control panel... Is there a motor that adjusts a flap or gate to mix the warm & cold air?

I'm certain the vibration at 67 mph isn't the tire balance- The steering wheel is steady, but the vibe blurs everything in the mirrors, it's a real fine vibe, like if you were driving over one of those bridges with the metal grates on the road at 100mph.  I'm thinking the drive shaft universal joint  ???

This site rocks- I've been glued to it for hours reading!

what does the vibration do when u accelerate hard.. does the intensity change?

what does the vibration do when u accelerate hard.. does the intensity change?

Not really- It seems to vibe more when I let of the gas (at 75 mph)-  It's pretty much non-existent until I hit 65mph though. Anything under 65 and it feels pretty steady. Another way for me to describe the vibe is... it's kind of a low frequency hum through the truck, like if some teenager had a 1000 watt sub-woofer next to me. The vibe is not in the steering wheel, it feels like the whole truck in affected- kind of hard to explain.

any thoughts?

I had a similar problem with my Jeep.  Turned out to need an alignment.

This isn't that kind of vibe- it's coming from either the tranny, drive shaft or differentials I think  ???.
In my experience, alignment, b-joints, tie rods or out of balance tires & rims will give you a front-end shake, that can be felt through the steering wheel.
This is a much "higher frequency" vibration, too fast for alignment or wheel balance, and my steering wheel is smooth & steady. 

beergut said:
The local factory Chevy dealer said they have the steering shaft in stock for $98, plus another $90 to install it.

If the cost is an issue, you could do the "steering shaft stroke" procedure as an intermediate fix. (No I am not pulling your leg, that was the last "Fix" before GM came out with a redesigned shaft.) I've done it a few times and it only takes about 15 minutes and usually lasts at least 6 monthes for me.

So- the code was "transmission component slipping" P1870.

From what I've been reading, the tranny chevy uses in the avalanche (4L60E) is known for these codes.

Here's just one of many articles I've found on the issue:

www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TS5-GN-044-045.pdf

It's going back to the dealer where I bought it tomorrow for further diagnostics.
I wonder if the vibe I'm feeling is coming from the converter???

Anyone here ever have one of these codes before?

If the cost is an issue, you could do the "steering shaft stroke" procedure as an intermediate fix.

Cost isn't really an issue here- if all I need is a $100 part to solve the steering issue- I'll buy the part and put it in- all repairs should be this cheap!

Ok- so here's an update-

Turns out the vibration was in fact being caused by the tranny.
My "new" avalanche has been in the dealers garage for the past 7 days.

They actually called me last thursday and said they replaced the front & rear u-joints, and I could pick the truck up on friday... drove down on friday to have them tell me "sorry- it's still in the shop, it'll be ready for saturday".

ok, so I called saturday- "sorry, still not ready- but you'll be all set for monday".

so I called them monday at 3pm- " we couldn't get intouch with the service manager- can you pick it up tomorrow (tuesday)?"

ok...... Called them yesterday 3 time before I got a call back- " Sorry- we still don't have your truck." - I said to him- "how in gods name does it take 7 days to replace u-joints ???  "
He says- "well, we determined the transmission was the issue- so we had to replace it. Your truck should be ready in a day or two..."    :E:    :E:    :E:

At least they didn't just hand it back to you after doing the U-joints and saying it's good to go, then you have to bring it back and start all over because it wasn't right.  I went through that for about a two year period for a heater/ac problem on my jeep.

I should of gotten to this sooner.. :E: :welcome: to the club Beergut. :wave: keep us updated on these issues, I hope it all turns for the better. :cool:#7

arrrrgggg

I just backed into a mall lamp with the loaner truck the dealer gave me!

football field sized parking lot- not a single vehicle around me- one flipping 80' mall lamp and  I BACKED INTO IT!    :( :(

I was parked waiting for my wife, sun in my eyes, so I decided to change directions...

Put a 12"crack in the fiberglass bed, dented the bumper and tore off the fender flare (only good news is- it's a ford f150  >:D  )

I can't win. I need a drink.

ok- so it's been what- 13 days now since I dropped my AV off at the dealer for the problems mentioned above...
Got a call yesrerday- said it was the ecm module the whole time  ???
They said I'll have the truck back today.... if I had a dollar every time I heard that! 1pm, no call yet...

what a total nightmare

Have patience Grass Hopper. >:D I'd rather get her back workin right than a rush job and 20 trips later.

Back