• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GTG Idea Thread for 2010

Where do you want the Utah World Wide Avalanche GTG?

• Yellowstone National Park

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Bryce & Zion Parks

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Trafficman

PM 2012
SM 2010
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2005
I just thought this would be a cool Idea.  After we get enough Ideas we can have polls on them and see what everyone likes.

My Idea for Late Spring/Summer:  Lagoon

4th of July weekend:  Cache Cruise-in in Logan.  There is a car show, but the fun part for a GTG would be watching the Main St parade on Saturday evening and cruising main afterward.  Bring some grills!  We could "tailgate" while waiting for the parade to start (about 6:30 pm).

http://www.cachevalleycruisein.com/  They haven't updated for 2010 yet, but it's usually the first weekend of July.

Feb or Mar- "Wash -n- Wings"  Drop the Av's off at Prompt Car Wash for what I think is the best wash in town and grab a bite at Wingers (same parking lot) while they are cleaning the trucks.  They'll park them on the side when they are done if we aren't.

Murray 4th of July Parade-  My daughter is dying to throw candy from the Av.  Be cool to do another one.  I checked, but the Sandy one doesn't allow the throwing of candy.  Need to check T'ville and West Jordan.

Might be cool to do a run to Cascade Springs in Utah County.  I haven't been there for a few years, but there used to be a dirt road just past the springs that had provided a place to get the Av dirty and actually use the 4wd.

Of course there are always my favorites, "Mod funk's Av" and "Wash funk's Av."

When I was a kid I did a lot of camping in the Tabionia/Hanna area.  Close enough for a long weekend trip.  My brother lives in Manila, I'm sure he woudn't mind 6-8 Av's on his lawn.

Lagoon has a camp ground next to it.  Although it's not really camping, be nice to have a place to kick it while there.

AyyTrainn said:
Utah,

This Is AyyTrainn From Portland, OR.  I Am Here N North Ogden @ The Moment.  Have Seen Several Avy's But None With Ambers.

Anything Happenin' Here B4 The 27th?

AyyTrainn :woot: :woot:

Most of us live in the Salt Lake valley.  Might be able to throw together an impromptu lunch this weekend.  I'm pretty much available if I know in advance.  Anyone else? 

funk_drum said:
Feb or Mar- "Wash -n- Wings"  Drop the Av's off at Prompt Car Wash for what I think is the best wash in town and grab a bite at Wingers (same parking lot) while they are cleaning the trucks.  They'll park them on the side when they are done if we aren't.

This sounds like a January 18th Evening of fun.............

Trafficman said:
This sounds like a January 18th Evening of fun.............

I completely agree, except for I'll be returning that day.  My truck will need a wash, but not sure when I'll be back.

Trafficman said:
I just thought this would be a cool Idea.  After we get enough Ideas we can have polls on them and see what everyone likes.

My Idea for Late Spring/Summer:   Lagoon

Interesting...  I think this has some promise. Could be a really fun time!

abbotlex said:
4th of July weekend:  Cache Cruise-in in Logan.  There is a car show, but the fun part for a GTG would be watching the Main St parade on Saturday evening and cruising main afterward.  Bring some grills!  We could "tailgate" while waiting for the parade to start (about 6:30 pm).

http://www.cachevalleycruisein.com/  They haven't updated for 2010 yet, but it's usually the first weekend of July.

This sounds really fun! I am not sure what kind of luck we would have with attendance from the SLC crowd on a holiday weekend but we can definitely discuss. It doesn't take much to get me to Logan for some Aggie Ice Cream!!   :love:

funk_drum said:

Murray 4th of July Parade-  My daughter is dying to throw candy from the Av.  Be cool to do another one.  I checked, but the Sandy one doesn't allow the throwing of candy.  Need to check T'ville and West Jordan.

Might be cool to do a run to Cascade Springs in Utah County.  I haven't been there for a few years, but there used to be a dirt road just past the springs that had provided a place to get the Av dirty and actually use the 4wd.

Of course there are always my favorites, "Mod funk's Av" and "Wash funk's Av."

When I was a kid I did a lot of camping in the Tabionia/Hanna area.  Close enough for a long weekend trip.  My brother lives in Manila, I'm sure he woudn't mind 6-8 Av's on his lawn.

Lagoon has a camp ground next to it.  Although it's not really camping, be nice to have a place to kick it while there.

Wings-n-Wash is going to happen. For sure. Probably more than once!

I like the Parade idea. We all seem to agree on this one. Lets start to work out the logistics now so we can get registered somewhere. I am going to need some help with this one.

Cascade springs is Sweet!! Good chance that our Fall GTG is going to be the Alpine Loop this year which will include the Cascade Springs.

I love to camp! we will all be discussing this years Camping GTG soon as well.

badtuffstuff said:
Hugs for life car show.

(y)

badtuffstuff said:
Ya, I work during the day and Bowl on Monday nights.
Are we making the auto expo a GTG on that Sat. the 16th.?

Sorry, I have been absent lately...

I HUGE part of my new job is answering questions in our discussion forums on our website. www.ereplacementparts.com I have a hard time looking at a forum when I get home. Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

I just sent a PM off to Lance to make sure he is still planning to come. If we have enough interest we can definitely make it a GTG even if Lance can't make it down. I am working on a couple other details as well. I hope to have everything worked out by tomorrow or Friday.

Thank you everyone for an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME 2009 year!!!   (y)   :B:   (y)   :B:

-UtahAV
-Mark

Hello, posted on the avy forum before, but not in the Utah section, so hello!

Some good ideas, I would like to meet other Avalanche owners and all that!

I don't have a lot of ideas, but for those that would be interested, what about a wheeling trip west of utah lake? I have yet to take my Avy there (being snowy and all), but I know the area somewhat well, and its a good spot to test out the capabilities of the Avalanche offroad, even test out the G80 locker :D A stock Avalanche should be able to do a lot out there, its really surprising what a stock vehicle can do, and most people don't realize that. In my stock S10 ZR2, I could go anywhere out there, and the avalanche, could, as I imagine, do pretty much the same stuff. There is definitly stuff out there from super easy to somewhat difficult, I would say in my opinion, there is also stuff I won't do again out there lol.

The only other idea I have is camping, but I dunno what kind of camping everyone here prefers. The last several times I have been camping have been in the west desert, (west of the sand dunes/ south of dugway /topaz mountain) and similarly, where there are ghost towns and/or old mining sites. Even been to nevada, where there is a ghost town and an 80 foot abandoned dam! pretty cool! But camping out there isn't on "camp grounds" but imho is better and a little bit more fun, especially since you go where few people go, and I would say some beautiful scenery, even though many may think of the west desert as dull. I'll post up the last trip I made out by dugway in the offroad trips section.

Only other idea would be some kind of scenic drive to somewhere, but I don't have any ideas to where lol

-Sterling

konigstigerii said:
Hello, posted on the avy forum before, but not in the Utah section, so hello!
:welcome: We have done some great cruises together. You have some great ideas and I know we are planning a camping trip again this year.
Keep an eye on this board and you will see all the fun that can be had.

Greetings Sterling!

Nice to see another Murray-ite here.  You are in good company.  AussieRed and I are both in Murray too.

Mark...I can help with the Murray Parade.  Even use my address when register as a Murray address.  They don't have the 2010 application up yet.

:welcome: to the Utah Chapter konigstigerii!!

We are glad to have you among us! You have some good GTG ideas. I like your Offroading GTG suggestion. We haven't done anything like that yet. We will be discussing this idea more.

Last year we held our camping GTG about 2-1/2 hours away from SLC. We had a wonderful time but I think the distance kept a few folks away and totally eliminated anyone from stopping by for a day trip. This year we will be holding the Camping GTG a bit closer to SLC. There are several of us that go camping regularly though so let us know when you are going out there and you might get some company!

Again, welcome and I hope to see you at a GTG soon!

-UtahAV
-Mark

funk_drum said:
Mark...I can help with the Murray Parade.  Even use my address when register as a Murray address.  They don't have the 2010 application up yet.

Sounds great Tommy! We will discuss the idea with the group soon and if it is a go I will take you up on your offer!

I really appreciate you stepping up to help!!  (y)  (y)

Thanks!

-UtahAV
-Mark

I would like to propose for February, a GTG Planning GTG. Not sure where or when. Lets hear some suggestions and get this planned.

Thank you to everyone that has posted ideas in this thread. I think it is obvious that we are in for another great year! We have even had two members that have not attended a GTG yet chime in. That is AWESOME! Thanks Kent for starting this thread!

So, when and where should we meet?

Look forward to hearing from you all!

-UtahAV
-Mark

UtahAV said:
I would like to propose for February, a GTG Planning GTG. Not sure where or when. Lets hear some suggestions and get this planned.
So, when and where should we meet?
Look forward to hearing from you all!

How does February 6th at Chinese Gourmet Mtg room sound?  Say Lunch time? :needhug:

Scrap that.  They will not let us havethe banquet room by ourselves and Saturday is dinner all day 10.47 + tax.

I like the day though.  Maybe we need a poll on the day and the place.  The most that can make it on what day.  May even go with an after work dinner thing.  Or meet at someones house for a pot luck..........

The 6th works for me. Like Kent, the weekend of the 20th is bad for me as well.

Tommy, If you are willing to have us I think that would work great.

If we want to go the restaurant route I would like to have our own room like Kent suggested. I think we need someplace that is somewhat quiet for the business meeting. We learned that the hard way last year. The pizza place in Park City was a blast but no one could hear each other. I could probably check on the Gecko's on 106th South in the river bottom.

So lets have some more input, specifically does Feb 6th work for you and if not what day does??

Thanks!!

-UtahAV
-Mark

Back