Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1020297 times)

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5000 on: July 27, 2019, 05:05:34 AM »

AHA, Learn something new every day.  I may be getting older, but I'm still young enough to learn.   :4:
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5001 on: July 27, 2019, 05:25:06 AM »

Yeah the axle is hanging because of the swaybar is attached to the frame and the axle itself.

So disconnected the swaybar from the frame and disconnected the rear shocks, so now the axle is staying down as I jack up the frame and body on both sides..
2003 2500

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5002 on: July 29, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »

New front sway bar end links and bushings...
Unfortunately 2 of the bushing bracket bolts sheared off despite soaking in penetrant overnight plus slow and deliberate back and forth movement of the wrench to loosen.

We welded a nut to each of the broken bolts but couldn't break them free.. I'll pick up some left handed drill bits and hit it with the extractor set.. Wish me luck, as the bolts are seized pretty good and have not budged it... 10mm was not quite large enough bolt size to handle undercarriage rust, and mine is rather clean for its age..
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

frito

« Reply #5003 on: July 29, 2019, 09:44:52 AM »

Did you use an impact wrench or breaker bar/socket?  I plan to do a full front end refresh next spring and have rust galore.  I generally use an impact on that sort of stuff and am curious if that will lead to extra breakage.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5004 on: July 29, 2019, 14:12:45 PM »

I used a 10mm - 3/8 drive socket wrench and they broke =( Not even a breaker bar, I hadn't worked up to that yet... Dealer charged just over $21 for the 2 replacement bolts.

Soak all of the nuts/bolts a few times a week or more before you start, maybe that will prove easier.
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

frito

« Reply #5005 on: July 29, 2019, 17:58:15 PM »

Oh boy.  Yeah, sounds like I'll need to soak it every night for a few weeks.  I may try an impact.  Hopefully that break up any remaining rust not freed up by lube.  If nothing else, they'll break faster and I can more quickly move on to plan B.   :laugh:

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #5006 on: July 29, 2019, 18:01:07 PM »

Just took a long drive to burn off some fuel getting ready to have my new fuel pump put in over the next few days.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

frito

« Reply #5007 on: July 30, 2019, 03:01:22 AM »

Just took a long drive to burn off some fuel getting ready to have my new fuel pump put in over the next few days.

I hope it goes easier for you than mine is.  It probably should since you don't need to view the Rust Belt Mechanic.  ;)

EXT4ME

« Reply #5008 on: July 30, 2019, 03:13:12 AM »

I hope it goes easier for you than mine is.  It probably should since you don't need to view the Rust Belt Mechanic.  ;)

Yeah, no rust to contend with here.

I did my part by running all of the gas out of the tank.

I will be sitting in a chair out in my mechanic's shop and visiting with the guys while they tackle the job.

Other than having to come up with a bad joke or two to tell, my part in the process should be fairly painless.

2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5009 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:22 AM »

I'm glad I'm not dropping the fuel tank like EXT4ME, but i'm still not looking forward to drilling those bolts... In the mean time I upgraded my transmission dipstick tube from a (broken) 2-piece design to the 1 piece design. It doesn't rattle anymore!

2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

EXT4ME

« Reply #5010 on: July 31, 2019, 14:48:15 PM »

New ACDelco fuel pump, charcoal canister and EVAP Canister Purge Valve installed today.

The old fuel pump was still functioning, but the level sensor was shot.

And, I had no idea just how old the fuel pump was.

I have driven the truck around 115K miles since I bought it back in 2012 and felt I might be on borrowed time.

By all indications, the old fuel pump was the original ACDelco unit.

Not bad for 230K miles.

I hope I can get as much from the new one.

frito

« Reply #5011 on: July 31, 2019, 19:17:45 PM »

New ACDelco fuel pump, charcoal canister and EVAP Canister Purge Valve installed today.

The old fuel pump was still functioning, but the level sensor was shot.

And, I had no idea just how old the fuel pump was.

I have driven the truck around 115K miles since I bought it back in 2012 and felt I might be on borrowed time.

By all indications, the old fuel pump was the original ACDelco unit.

Not bad for 230K miles.

I hope I can get as much from the new one.

Can I row mine down to your mechanic?  Finally finished the fuel pump and had to replace the lines that connect to the pump and sit on top of the tank.  Primed it, and it fired right up.  But  where the new lines connect to the old hard lines in front of the tank are leaking a sieve.   :E:. I don't have time for this (radio edit).  I hate all forms of plumbing whether it be in a house or on a car.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5012 on: August 1, 2019, 01:25:31 AM »

I hate to hear this repair is causing you so much grief.

After watching my two mechanics deal with mine today, I am glad I did not try to tackle this project on my own.

I am certain there was no way I could have done this out on the driveway with a set of jack stands.

Just getting the truck up on the jack stands would have taken more than I have to give, I am sure.

Some of the connectors gave them a lot of trouble when trying to take them off.

I guess 230K miles will do that to you.

The whole process took half a day, part of the time waiting on the dealer to get us the pump seal that was supposed to be included in the parts box, but was not.

They charged me just over $300 in labor (I get a discount) and I felt that was well worth the money.

I did get the chance to fully inspect the underside of my truck and I am happy to report not a single spot of rust, everything is tight and in it's place and no leaks of any kind.

spidey

• "On the Ranch" by Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5013 on: August 1, 2019, 07:22:03 AM »

I hate to hear this repair is causing you so much grief.

After watching my two mechanics deal with mine today, I am glad I did not try to tackle this project on my own.

I am certain there was no way I could have done this out on the driveway with a set of jack stands.

Just getting the truck up on the jack stands would have taken more than I have to give, I am sure.

Some of the connectors gave them a lot of trouble when trying to take them off.

I guess 230K miles will do that to you.

The whole process took half a day, part of the time waiting on the dealer to get us the pump seal that was supposed to be included in the parts box, but was not.

They charged me just over $300 in labor (I get a discount) and I felt that was well worth the money.

I did get the chance to fully inspect the underside of my truck and I am happy to report not a single spot of rust, everything is tight and in it's place and no leaks of any kind.

Thats why somethings I do, and something I let a mechanic handle.  A person cant be good at everything, and major repairs I dont touch.   Such is life, only so much time in the day, or after work and weekends.  sometimes you gotta pay if you wanna play

I look at it this way, For every back yard mechanic that tackles this job, do they do their own tax returns or fix their own computers? 
Silver Ice 2012 LT - Bought June 9, 2012, 240kms

Chrome antenna Chrome AVS bug/rock hood guard
DeeZee tailgate assist hydraulic LED Hitch step
Console organizer Weathertech window vent visors (smoke)
Weathertech floormats (front & rear) Embossed chrome door sill plates
Putco Liquid Spider Web grill insert Chrome lettered license plate frame
Bowtie license plate cover Helo rims/Goodyear Wranglers
Putco tail light chrome trim Chev stamped muffler tip
Bushwacker fender flares Gatorback mud flaps

EXT4ME

« Reply #5014 on: August 1, 2019, 07:50:36 AM »

..... I look at it this way, For every back yard mechanic that tackles this job, do they do their own tax returns or fix their own computers?

I do my own personal and business taxes and my business I own is fixing other people's computers.

Both help me be able to hire a mechanic for the things I can not do.

Funny how that works out.

frito

« Reply #5015 on: August 1, 2019, 08:02:24 AM »

I actually do my own taxes.  The reason I tried to tackle it was that I wanted it done over the weekend when I know I would not have been able to have a shop do it.  All the shops around here are so backlogged it seems to be a two week wait is the norm, not the exception.  This is one I should have been able to do, but the rust is getting the best of me.  I also feel a certain sense of accomplishment when I succeed in a repair, especially one I have never tackled before.  This one is now mixed in that I know the pump is working properly (success!) but the new lines...  UGH

And, I feel like everything I can learn and do now will help me if and when I finally retire and take on my retirement project - my '78 Impala that is well protected in a rather significant layer of dust.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2019, 08:04:11 AM by frito »

frito

« Reply #5016 on: August 1, 2019, 18:09:12 PM »

Turns out I did in fact install everything correctly.  The crusty old lines couldn't withstand the pressure of the new pump as shown in this video.  I think I'm going to buy this anf have it installed.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5017 on: August 2, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »

Glad you figured out where the leak was coming from! Hopefully the shop gets you back on the road soon
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

EXT4ME

« Reply #5018 on: August 5, 2019, 13:50:28 PM »

Well, you knew it was too good to be true.

I was almost through my first tank of gas since the new fuel pump was installed and I was driving along and the truck just died.

I strong armed the steering and was able to pull into a bank parking lot, right into an empty parking space.

I tried starting the engine and it just turned over really fast, but would not start.

I called my mechanic and let him know what was going on and told him to get a bay open because I was calling for a tow and headed his way.

While I was waiting, I remembered I had my scanner in the back and I thought I might as well check for any codes.

When I got out I was hit with a strong smell of fuel and I looked down to see a large, expanding pool of gas on the ground coming from under the truck.

Now, understand, we do not have rust here and I was able to confirm all of my lines were in good shape while the tank was off of the truck last week.

I knew what the problem most likely was.

I had the truck towed to the shop and we put it up on the lift.

My mechanic reached up over the tank and confirmed what I thought the problem to be.

One of the fuel lines had disconnected at the quick disconnect fitting.

Damn, I hate those things.

He managed to get it seated properly and I even heard it click this time.

I'm going to cross my fingers that this stupid thing holds this time.

:E:

CarMech1969

• "A Chevy man to the end..."
« Reply #5019 on: August 5, 2019, 14:39:12 PM »

My mechanic reached up over the tank and confirmed what I thought the problem to be.

One of the fuel lines had disconnected at the quick disconnect fitting.

Damn, I hate those things.

"Quick connects"

Aren't they awesome?

Causes you and me grief - and the manufacturer saves a nickel per unit for implementing them  ::)

CarMech1969
Owner of a 2002 Avalanche 2500 series, 4X4

EXT4ME

« Reply #5020 on: August 5, 2019, 15:14:07 PM »

"Quick connects"

Aren't they awesome?

Causes you and me grief - and the manufacturer saves a nickel per unit for implementing them  ::)

CarMech1969

No argument from me.

I had to have my truck towed several months ago because a quick disconnect on one of the transmission cooler lines blew off while driving down the freeway.

At least I get reimbursed for the tow charges.

But, still.

:E:

spidey

• "On the Ranch" by Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5021 on: August 6, 2019, 07:19:23 AM »

I actually do my own taxes.  The reason I tried to tackle it was that I wanted it done over the weekend when I know I would not have been able to have a shop do it.  All the shops around here are so backlogged it seems to be a two week wait is the norm, not the exception.  This is one I should have been able to do, but the rust is getting the best of me.  I also feel a certain sense of accomplishment when I succeed in a repair, especially one I have never tackled before.  This one is now mixed in that I know the pump is working properly (success!) but the new lines...  UGH

And, I feel like everything I can learn and do now will help me if and when I finally retire and take on my retirement project - my '78 Impala that is well protected in a rather significant layer of dust.

I think My example was misunderstood.   Add other things you cannot do instead of taxes and computers.   I do both as well.

Point is you cant be good at everything, and while I admire the ones on here that fix their own major issue, there are other things they cant do, because they only have the same amount of time in a day as everyone else, 24 hours
Silver Ice 2012 LT - Bought June 9, 2012, 240kms

Chrome antenna Chrome AVS bug/rock hood guard
DeeZee tailgate assist hydraulic LED Hitch step
Console organizer Weathertech window vent visors (smoke)
Weathertech floormats (front & rear) Embossed chrome door sill plates
Putco Liquid Spider Web grill insert Chrome lettered license plate frame
Bowtie license plate cover Helo rims/Goodyear Wranglers
Putco tail light chrome trim Chev stamped muffler tip
Bushwacker fender flares Gatorback mud flaps

frito

« Reply #5022 on: August 6, 2019, 07:36:33 AM »

I think My example was misunderstood.   Add other things you cannot do instead of taxes and computers.   I do both as well.

Point is you cant be good at everything, and while I admire the ones on here that fix their own major issue, there are other things they cant do, because they only have the same amount of time in a day as everyone else, 24 hours
I get it.  :thumbsup: I often joke I wish Superman would pause the earth from spinning 😂  My goal was to get it on the road before a shop would have been able to since we are already down one vehicle.  Turns out, I was was successful with everything I did.  The crusty old fuel lines on the hand weren't up to the task. 

I actually get enjoyment out of doing most of my own car work.  At one time it was a hobby and I'm trying to get back to that point.  Back in the day, I used to listen to a race on the radio as I was doing a brake job or whatever the case may be.  Over the past couple years I have tackled projects on my Bimmer I never would have imagined pre-internet.  Yes, it was down for a long time each time but I had the Avy ready to go.  It doesn't get stressful until "I really need this thing on the road, NOW" which is what I'm currently up against.  That's why I had it towed to the shop for the fuel lines to be replaced.  I know I could do it, I just don't know if I could do it by Thursday.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5023 on: August 6, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »

I hope it goes well at the shop Frito!

I got the 2 broken bolts out of the front sway bar bushings, took a few hours to drill them out, dang they were tough metal.. I literally cheered when that 2nd one finally came out.. I have new rear sway bar bushings to do, but those bolts are stuck also so I haven't gone any further with that project yet fearing I'll break the bolts just like the front.
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

frito

« Reply #5024 on: August 6, 2019, 09:35:13 AM »

Dang, that sounds like a PITA.  Gotta love rust.  Glad you go them out.   :thumbsup:

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.