Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1020300 times)

BainMan

• Send it!
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5050 on: August 22, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »

Wow that is some thick snot to come out of the pan!
Glad the new shade worked out.
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5051 on: August 22, 2019, 17:55:44 PM »

awesome and make sure they know original ones shrunk and fall out of the groove.

I would get a set.

So you guys got me worried since I have one of the oldest Avalanches. Just checked my saddle bag seals; left 100% intact; right has a 1/4" gap where they join, but looks good other than that.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

JVZL1

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5052 on: August 26, 2019, 21:05:23 PM »

I hope Steele Rubber Products knows about all the seals have that could need replacing on the aging fleet of AVs and EXTs on the road such as midgate seals and bed panel seals that aren't on a Silverado or Suburban type of vehicle. It could be a nice bit of revenue for them and a great source of replacement seals. I know they have full kits for specific vehicles as well as just individual seals and a kit would be nice eventually for some owner who does a frame off full blown restoration.

I sent this along to SRP.
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5053 on: August 26, 2019, 21:19:26 PM »

Just got all settled in from an RV trip to the coast.
So nice to have the 2500. Listening to the big block roar of the Volant air box.
The only gage that I have to worry about is the gas gage.

04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

Xangryth

• My first Chevy was a '54
« Reply #5054 on: August 31, 2019, 07:03:52 AM »

I spent 2 days detailing my  2002 Z66- I must say, Rainex waterless car wash really brought out the shine and darkened the body cladding- I used 1oz of Solution finish to darken the sail plastic behind the cab- looks great now-

I have another project vehicle- a 2005 Honda Element- one owner 234,000 miles, but perfect upholstery - he used seat covers for a very long time-- runs very good- excellent maintenance history- $2600
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:37:53 AM by Xangryth »
Seeing the USA in my Chevy  '02 Z66 Avalanche

Xangryth

• My first Chevy was a '54
« Reply #5055 on: August 31, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »

Then I placed  the Avalanche up for sale- $5700 and sold it to the first person the next day who came and drove it. Every time I went someplace, I found myself driving my Honda Element, not the truck, so I decided  the Avalanche needed a new home.. A rock solid truck- 80 mph at 2200 rpm. I even made $500, subtracting what I had spent fixing a few odds and ends-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:49:31 AM by Xangryth »
Seeing the USA in my Chevy  '02 Z66 Avalanche

TheTez

• Budget build Avy
« Reply #5056 on: August 31, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »

Just picked up a new to me 04  my 05 the frame was un-salvageable, 
Today i Swapped the tail gate handle from the 05 to the 04, it wasnt working.  Then went and got an oil change/Carwash.
Also took the 3/4" risers out of the old truck, and will be putting them in the new truck (rear)

Plans for the rest of the day, Put in the rest of the leveling kit / new shocks  to get it ready for my 33's from the old truck.

will also be replacing hubs, and later this week i will be replacing all ball joints, the sway bar links, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm and all control arm bushings.

EXT4ME

• ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #5057 on: September 2, 2019, 17:54:44 PM »

So, this story began almost 7 years ago.

After just getting my 2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT and already having had several of my center caps stolen, I decided to install a set of Gorilla Wheel locking lug nuts to make sure none of my wheels disappeared, as well.

For those that do not know, the Gorilla locks come with 24 locking lug nuts, not just the one locking lug nut per wheel.

They must have worked, since I have never lost a wheel.

Fast forward to this weekend.

I was going to rotate my tires as part of my effort to locate some noise I have been hearing lately.

When I started removing the first set of lug nuts, I found that the last tire tech must have used an impact wrench to install all of the lug nuts using my lug nut lock socket key.

My mechanic always manually installs and torques these lug nuts instead of using an impact wrench.

I found it almost impossible to loosen any of the lug nuts.

The only way I could get any of them to break loose was to use a breaker bar along with a cheater pipe.

My cordless impact wrench had no effect.

I managed to get all of the lug nuts off of one wheel and only five of the six off of the second wheel before the key socket split, rendering it useless.

Oh joy.

After doing some research, I decided my best option was to hammer a socket onto each of the remaining lug nuts and use a breaker bar with a cheater bar extension.

After some trial and error and spending way too much time and money, I finally found the best tool to use was an impact grade 22mm 6-point deep socket and a ball peen hammer.

Once the socket was fully seated onto the lug nut, I used a breaker bar and a three foot steel pipe to finally break the lug nuts free.

Luckily for me, I had placed all of my original lug nuts in a zip lock plastic bag in one of my saddle bags.

It took a day and a half to get all of them off and replaced with the stock lug nuts.

The locking lug nuts, or what's left of them, and the broken key socket have been deep sixed into the trash can.

I am just thanking my lucky stars that I found out about these things being stuck while the truck was parked in my garage and not while I was out on the road and having to deal with this nightmare away from the tools I needed to get those damned lug nuts off.

I'll never have those kind of lug nuts ever again and I'll be resetting the torque on my stock lug nuts after getting any service done where the wheels need to come off.

:E:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

old skool

« Reply #5058 on: September 2, 2019, 18:42:47 PM »

So, this story began almost 7 years ago.

After just getting my 2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT and already having had several of my center caps stolen, I decided to install a set of Gorilla Wheel locking lug nuts to make sure none of my wheels disappeared, as well.

For those that do not know, the Gorilla locks come with 24 locking lug nuts, not just the one locking lug nut per wheel.

They must have worked, since I have never lost a wheel.

Fast forward to this weekend.

I was going to rotate my tires as part of my effort to locate some noise I have been hearing lately.

When I started removing the first set of lug nuts, I found that the last tire tech must have used an impact wrench to install all of the lug nuts using my lug nut lock socket key.

My mechanic always manually installs and torques these lug nuts instead of using an impact wrench.

I found it almost impossible to loosen any of the lug nuts.

The only way I could get any of them to break loose was to use a breaker bar along with a cheater pipe.

My cordless impact wrench had no effect.

I managed to get all of the lug nuts off of one wheel and only five of the six off of the second wheel before the key socket split, rendering it useless.

Oh joy.

After doing some research, I decided my best option was to hammer a socket onto each of the remaining lug nuts and use a breaker bar with a cheater bar extension.

After some trial and error and spending way too much time and money, I finally found the best tool to use was an impact grade 22mm 6-point deep socket and a ball peen hammer.

Once the socket was fully seated onto the lug nut, I used a breaker bar and a three foot steel pipe to finally break the lug nuts free.

Luckily for me, I had placed all of my original lug nuts in a zip lock plastic bag in one of my saddle bags.

It took a day and a half to get all of them off and replaced with the stock lug nuts.

The locking lug nuts, or what's left of them, and the broken key socket have been deep sixed into the trash can.

I am just thanking my lucky stars that I found out about these things being stuck while the truck was parked in my garage and not while I was out on the road and having to deal with this nightmare away from the tools I needed to get those damned lug nuts off.

I'll never have those kind of lug nuts ever again and I'll be resetting the torque on my stock lug nuts after getting any service done where the wheels need to come off.

:E:

Been there and done that. I was home when that happened to me. I got all the lug nuts off except for one when my socket stripped on the inside. This happened almost 40 years ago. I ended up using a chisel and drill to finally get it off.

I still use the gorilla locking lugs on my Avalanche...as a matter of fact, I just had a new set of tires installed. Was getting ready to leave the tire place when I just happened to remember I hadn't given them the socket. The guy said, "that's ok, we have a master socket we can use".  ??? :o

I did give it to him anyway.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2019, 18:53:42 PM by old skool »
Ebony 2007 LS

EXT4ME

« Reply #5059 on: September 3, 2019, 02:54:58 AM »

Been there and done that. I was home when that happened to me. I got all the lug nuts off except for one when my socket stripped on the inside. This happened almost 40 years ago. I ended up using a chisel and drill to finally get it off.

I still use the gorilla locking lugs on my Avalanche...as a matter of fact, I just had a new set of tires installed. Was getting ready to leave the tire place when I just happened to remember I hadn't given them the socket. The guy said, "that's ok, we have a master socket we can use".  ??? :o

I did give it to him anyway.

I was happy with the Gorilla Nuts up until they had been cranked down so hard that Thor's Hammer couldn't budge them.

Until the very last one was off, I had a real concern I was going to lose at least one stud.

I do not think there was any way I could have gotten those lug nuts off while out on the road with a flat.

And THAT was my motivation to get those off and get the stock nuts back on.

Sorry Gorilla Nuts, you have a great product, but I just can't take that chance.
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #5060 on: September 3, 2019, 05:32:28 AM »

being over tight can stretch wheel studs and render them weaker...

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5061 on: September 3, 2019, 06:04:45 AM »

I have used Gorilla lock lugs since I first bought them in 1995 for my 95 Chevy truck. I have 3 sets, one set like a spline of a shaft and I have had no issues... but I do my own tire rotations basically when I remove summer tire and hang the winter rims and tires. I torque to 120 lbs and have not had an issue but again I do the rotations myself. I also use a battery impact but don't hammer them in like I have seen the guys do at the tire shop.
I have never had a single wheel stolen.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance 2 1/2" lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Firestone Air Springs, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #5062 on: September 3, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »

I do not use locks and have never had any wheel ever stolen in my life....

But I do just have stock wheels on everything..

and peeps around heremore likley to steal what is inside the car then out.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

EXT4ME

« Reply #5063 on: September 3, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »

Just fun stuff, today.

Changed front and rear diff lube.

No drama.

The only thing that I did not expect, the rear diff lube has not been changed in the 115K miles that I have owned my truck.

But, based upon the gasket we found, someone had been in there at some point.

The truck now has 231K miles on it.

Whatever they used for lube was still clean and clear and did not smell like old rear diff lube usually does.

Not bad for at least 115K miles and who knows how many more.

I'll take it.

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:18:39 AM by EXT4ME »

Calicak89

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5064 on: September 4, 2019, 06:59:05 AM »

I was happy with the Gorilla Nuts up until they had been cranked down so hard that Thor's Hammer couldn't budge them.
Until the very last one was off, I had a real concern I was going to lose at least one stud.
I do not think there was any way I could have gotten those lug nuts off while out on the road with a flat.
And THAT was my motivation to get those off and get the stock nuts back on.
Sorry Gorilla Nuts, you have a great product, but I just can't take that chance.

I'm thoroughly confused by this. How long ago did the "tire tech" have the wheels off?
Did you not torque check them after a few miles/days?
Seems to me like this is a case of operator error first and foremost, not product failure. I would have driven right back and had the installer take them all off and re-torque to the proper spec for the studs. Do you think that the case would have been different with a traditional 6 sided wheel nut? ie. that they would have been easier to get off than the splined nuts torqued to 7 ugga-duggas if they were torqued the same?

I'm just trying to understand the switch back from splined to traditional wheel nuts as it does not completely make sense to me as most splined lugs actually have a greater surface area than a traditional hex nut, so in theory the standard hex nut would have also broken the socket and/or taken just as big a breaker/cheater bar.
2013 Black LTZ
2008 Judson Green LT
Way too many mods to list here
2005 Silver Birch Metallic (former)

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5065 on: September 9, 2019, 14:27:54 PM »

Technically this was the Traverse and not the Av', but I think you'll appreciate this nonetheless...

The traverse has 180k+ miles and started leaking oil into the spark plug tubes, resulting in a misfire. I got the valve cover and intake manifold gaskets changed out, and no more leaks into the tubes!  But a new leak started and now it's dumping oil under the oil fill tube. I pulled the intake manifold again to check torque on the camshaft cover bolts and snapped a bolt off in a very poor location...

I got very lucky and was able to extract the bolt without drilling! I used two micro-screwdrivers and was able to push/pull the bolt 3 revolutions until I could get needle nose pliers on it and finish the job.

The bolt had to be special ordered, arrives tomorrow.. Not too big of a problem but it has been "fun" being a 1-car family with 3 children in school and sport activities!
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

spidey

• "On the Ranch" by Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5066 on: September 10, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »

Called around for quotes to get my Bilstein shocks replaced.  I had to wait since I ordered from Amazon and the front shock didnt come with the adjustment package like the other one, so they sent me another brand new shock.

I keep getting told now I need to replace the coils when I call these places?  True, or another way to get money from me

My Avy has gone from a trailer hauler and a water tank hauler regularly to not towing anymore because of moving and getting of camping.

Do I need to replace all my coil springs to?
Silver Ice 2012 LT - Bought June 9, 2012, 240kms

Chrome antenna Chrome AVS bug/rock hood guard
DeeZee tailgate assist hydraulic LED Hitch step
Console organizer Weathertech window vent visors (smoke)
Weathertech floormats (front & rear) Embossed chrome door sill plates
Putco Liquid Spider Web grill insert Chrome lettered license plate frame
Bowtie license plate cover Helo rims/Goodyear Wranglers
Putco tail light chrome trim Chev stamped muffler tip
Bushwacker fender flares Gatorback mud flaps

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #5067 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:56 AM »

Put a new license plate with tax sticker on her...

I liked the old one better but she said they make ya change them out every so often...

WAHHHHHHHHH

Old one had "BIRTHPLACE of THE BLUES"
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

2004Slickside

« Reply #5068 on: September 18, 2019, 08:21:00 AM »

Now that I recently had my yearly Krown rustproofing done, the inside air temp sensor above driver's head replaced/sensing inside temp for the HVAC, and the new spare tire carrier in place - I tried to give my 2004 from the Southland some love last weekend with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax, Refinish Restorer, and Armor All.  I'm really not a big fan of green, but that June Bug Green color sure can be pretty when shiny and in the sun!  Even pulled the rubber mat out of the bed and really cleaned things.  Got repaid with a bubble forming in my auto-dimming driver's outside mirror.  Fortunately no corrosive fluid leaked out and got on the paint or cladding.  Replaced the mirror last night with a non-dimming glass from Amazon, and now I see coolant is dripping off the right front edge of the oil pan.  Dang it!  Ordered an AC/Delco water pump and thermostat.  Hope that is what it is.  Difficult to really tell, but I believe the leak is in the right area for that.   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:36:30 AM by 2004Slickside »
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5069 on: September 18, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »

Good luck on the water pump replacement!
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

2004Slickside

« Reply #5070 on: September 18, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »

Good luck on the water pump replacement!
Thanks!
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

EXT4ME

« Reply #5071 on: September 18, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »

Changed out the NR3 AWD transfer case fluid.

Just short of 2 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, for those keeping score.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5072 on: September 18, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »

Changed out the NR3 AWD transfer case fluid.

Nice! I keep meaning to get my front diff... Last fluid with unknown (to me) last change date for my av', probably original.
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3

2004Slickside

« Reply #5073 on: September 20, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »

Now that I recently had my yearly Krown rustproofing done, the inside air temp sensor above driver's head replaced/sensing inside temp for the HVAC, and the new spare tire carrier in place - I tried to give my 2004 from the Southland some love last weekend with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax, Refinish Restorer, and Armor All.  I'm really not a big fan of green, but that June Bug Green color sure can be pretty when shiny and in the sun!  Even pulled the rubber mat out of the bed and really cleaned things.  Got repaid with a bubble forming in my auto-dimming driver's outside mirror.  Fortunately no corrosive fluid leaked out and got on the paint or cladding.  Replaced the mirror last night with a non-dimming glass from Amazon, and now I see coolant is dripping off the right front edge of the oil pan.  Dang it!  Ordered an AC/Delco water pump and thermostat.  Hope that is what it is.  Difficult to really tell, but I believe the leak is in the right area for that.
Parts came yesterday.  Took off the intake ductwork and upper radiator shroud so I can see better and put in a little more coolant.  Warmed up the engine a little and it's definitely the water pump itself.  I'm really impressed on the design of the 5.3 in the Avalanche for replacing the water pump.  It's my first time for the water pump on a LS motor.  Getting the loaner tool from Advance Auto Parts to remove the fan and the rest should be a real piece of cake!  The hoses, belt, and six bolts - and it's off.  Looks like you need to be really careful not to damage the heater hoses and the hose to the overflow tank - they appear to be custom fit and expensive!  I'll do the job on the weekend.  In the meantime, I'm reminded why I keep an extra vehicle that I seldom drive.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:22:20 AM by 2004Slickside »

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5074 on: September 20, 2019, 09:37:27 AM »

and the rest should be a real piece of cake!
Well you've jinxed yourself now man! Famous last words!  :B:
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 23 queries.