Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1022760 times)

2004Slickside

Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5100 on: October 15, 2019, 09:57:06 AM »

Thats what Im fidning out.  I thought the Bilstein shocks that have height adjustment was what you need for a slight front lift, and thats all you need
As far as I can tell, the Bilstein 5100s are just very expensive gas charged shocks for slightly lifted trucks!  You can crank the torsion bars up to 2" higher and these shocks are supposed to work with that.  So know that you didn't buy something that you didn't need.  Just install the shocks and crank those torsion bars up to 2" higher - you will get where you want to be.

If you had a truck with struts instead of shocks, Bilstein might have a 5100 model that will raise that (since struts have springs on them) - but not on a shock/torsion bar type suspension like an Avalanche.

Whatever you do, get the ride height where it's going to be before the alignment.  It changes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:14:55 AM by 2004Slickside »
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

spidey

• "On the Ranch" by Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5101 on: October 15, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »

As far as I can tell, the Bilstein 5100s are just very expensive gas charged shocks for slightly lifted trucks!  You can crank the torsion bars up to 2" higher and these shocks are supposed to work with that.  So know that you didn't buy something that you didn't need.  Just install the shocks and crank those torsion bars up to 2" higher - you will get where you want to be.

If you had a truck with struts instead of shocks, Bilstein might have a 5100 model that will raise that (since struts have springs on them) - but not on a shock/torsion bar type suspension like an Avalanche.

Whatever you do, get the ride height where it's going to be before the alignment.  It changes.

I bought them already, since I needed new shocks since I have the original.  And they are cheaper than OEM and as well seems everyone on this forum says these are the best replacement shocks for the Avalanche.  So for being expensive, I dont see them being more than other name brands and OEM

So are you saying I dont need these.  Other threads are saying the 5100 model are for the Avalanche and you can raise the front with them, and says nothing about adjusting torsion bars
Silver Ice 2012 LT - Bought June 9, 2012, 240kms

Chrome antenna Chrome AVS bug/rock hood guard
DeeZee tailgate assist hydraulic LED Hitch step
Console organizer Weathertech window vent visors (smoke)
Weathertech floormats (front & rear) Embossed chrome door sill plates
Putco Liquid Spider Web grill insert Chrome lettered license plate frame
Bowtie license plate cover Helo rims/Goodyear Wranglers
Putco tail light chrome trim Chev stamped muffler tip
Bushwacker fender flares Gatorback mud flaps

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5102 on: October 15, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »

You looking for a front torsion bar on a 2012 ?
2003 2500

spidey

« Reply #5103 on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »

You looking for a front torsion bar on a 2012 ?

Whos you?   Me?

Why do I need a front torsion bar if Im just adjusting the shocks that are made to be adjusted (5100 model)  I already have one

There seems to be some information in threads that arent lining up in other threads about this

There is an entire thread on the these Bilstein 5100 shocks on the front and leveling the front, and no mention at all of keys, torsion bar adjustments, etc
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:18:15 AM by spidey »

2004Slickside

« Reply #5104 on: October 15, 2019, 17:20:15 PM »

I bought them already, since I needed new shocks since I have the original.  And they are cheaper than OEM and as well seems everyone on this forum says these are the best replacement shocks for the Avalanche.  So for being expensive, I dont see them being more than other name brands and OEM

So are you saying I dont need these.  Other threads are saying the 5100 model are for the Avalanche and you can raise the front with them, and says nothing about adjusting torsion bars
No, I was saying that you didn't buy them for nothing - was saying that you will need them if you crank the torsion bars up.  So I was defending your decision to purchase them.

But unfortunately it seems that MS03 2500 is trying to let me know that a 2012 does not have a torsion bar setup.  Silly me for assuming a 2012 was like a 2004.  I really haven't looked under anything else other than my own.

So i have one question......  is this a shock absorber and you have a separate coil spring - or is it a strut with a coil spring over it.  If it's a strut, why don't we start calling it a strut.  You will not raise anything by replacing a gas-filled shock absorber, even if it's max extended length is greater than original.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 17:30:01 PM by 2004Slickside »
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

spidey

« Reply #5105 on: October 16, 2019, 13:50:40 PM »

No, I was saying that you didn't buy them for nothing - was saying that you will need them if you crank the torsion bars up.  So I was defending your decision to purchase them.

But unfortunately it seems that MS03 2500 is trying to let me know that a 2012 does not have a torsion bar setup.  Silly me for assuming a 2012 was like a 2004.  I really haven't looked under anything else other than my own.

So i have one question......  is this a shock absorber and you have a separate coil spring - or is it a strut with a coil spring over it.  If it's a strut, why don't we start calling it a strut.  You will not raise anything by replacing a gas-filled shock absorber, even if it's max extended length is greater than original.

According to this thread, it can.  And the front is a strut, but it seems many are just replacing the shock instead of the strut.   Amazon and Bilstein and many on that thread confirmed what I ordered is correct for the front for the lift.  You can get them for the back as well, although I didn't and went with another Bilstein model for the back

https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=146729.0

Unless I am totally missing something?

2004Slickside

« Reply #5106 on: October 16, 2019, 18:47:47 PM »

According to this thread, it can.  And the front is a strut, but it seems many are just replacing the shock instead of the strut.   Amazon and Bilstein and many on that thread confirmed what I ordered is correct for the front for the lift.  You can get them for the back as well, although I didn't and went with another Bilstein model for the back

https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=146729.0

Unless I am totally missing something?
If the front is a strut on a 2012, then I understand how Bilstein is doing it.  Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't know that late Avys used struts on the front.  In my experience what you are installing is called a shock insert (cartridge) for the strut, not a shock.  But the terminology really doesn't matter to me - or to you.  Looks like you have the parts that will do what you want. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 19:02:21 PM by 2004Slickside »

spidey

« Reply #5107 on: October 16, 2019, 20:32:19 PM »

If the front is a strut on a 2012, then I understand how Bilstein is doing it.  Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't know that late Avys used struts on the front.  In my experience what you are installing is called a shock insert (cartridge) for the strut, not a shock.  But the terminology really doesn't matter to me - or to you.  Looks like you have the parts that will do what you want.

Im used to on cars replacing the entire strut.  And as well, you can order the parts for the entire thing from GM as well.   It was confusing to me, as I was expecting to replace the entire strut as well, and that is not what any picture of the part looked like.

Any garage I talked to didn't say a thing about replacing the entire thing.  I think this front suspension is shared with the Tahoe and Suburban, so I imagine others with those go this route to just replace the "insert"

At least I hope, appointments in the morning and Im leaving it for the day

2004Slickside

« Reply #5108 on: October 19, 2019, 14:39:59 PM »

Now I have found a second smaller P/S fluid leak (drip) at the weep hole between the hydroboost and the master cylinder.  I actually watched the fluid rapidly run out of the pump seal before when wheels were turned against the steering lock, so I don't regret the replacement P/S pump.  Maybe I damaged the old seals on both by getting the pressure too high.  who knows...

Initially ordered a complete rebuilt Delco hydroboost for $200, as service manual said to replace the entire assembly - but cancelled that after watching a few YouTube videos about replacing only the piston seal (which definitively causes this common problem).  3 seal kit off Ebay for $10.  We will see how this repair works.  One thing I have found out is that you need to have the hydroboost oriented a certain way when you split it (front straight down), or things can fall out of place (specifically the relief check valve - it's kind of like putting an automatic trans for an old 1960s Ford on it's tail when taking the front pump off - don't want any thrust washers to fall out of place - don't ask how I know).  Initially I wondered why everyone was taking the hydroboost completely off for repair of only the piston seal.  I suppose this is why.  Wish me luck!! I did find the parts blowup for the hydroboost...  attached as a PDF

The leaking seal is definitely #17 in the first expanded view.  Also included in my kit of 3 seals is #32, which seals the two halves of the hydroboost where it splits.  Not sure about the third seal, but it is a larger type of seal that may be #17 for a slightly smaller piston - don't really see another large seal like it in any of the blow-ups.
I just got back inside from replacing only seals #17 and #32 in my hydroboost (see attachment to reply 5087 for the parts diagram with these numbers).  I'm going to call it a success.  No leaks out the weep hole behind the master cylinder after test drive and after holding brake pedal down quite firmly when stopped.  So unless it starts leaking out the rear of the hydroboost through a seal I didn't replace into the passenger compartment, it seems to be fixed.

When I started today I looked under the dash and quickly decided to go ahead and try these seals with the hydroboost still mounted to the firewall (what a packed mess).  First stepped on the bake pedal a dozen times or so to discharge the pressure in the hydroboost.  After taking the master cylinder and the 3 lines/hoses off, I removed the 5 bolts holding the two halves of the hydroboost together.  This required a 3/8 12 point socket not an inverted torx (just so you know)  Positioned the master cylinder, bracketry, and lines out of the way and slowly pulled the front half straight forward.  Had to catch #34, #35, and #36 as the front came off.  Made sure #10 (assembly) stays in the front half (make sure #15 is disengaged from #20 or #10 will be pulled out of it's bore.  It's kind of like a throw out fork - just move it up or down and it will disengage.

Dug the old seal #17 out with a pick and installed the new seal after lubing it with P/S fluid.  Cupped part of the seal goes to the pressure side.  Installed the new seal #32 lubed with P/S fluid and it stuck in place OK.  Now comes the tricky part.  Had my wife hold the brake pedal down about 1/3 way and I started the piston into the front housing half after adding #34, #35, and #36 to the middle of the piston.  While doing this I engaged #15 with #20 and pushed the piston in a bit more until #36 hit on #37.  At that point I took a small screwdriver underneath #37 (in the front) and raised #36 until it went through the hole in the middle of #37.  After that point it's just a matter of getting the two halves of the housing pushed back together.  But easy does it and patience when the piston starts going through the seal - it's tight.  got the two halves back together and installed the bolts, lines, and master cylinder - filled it up with fluid and test drove.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 14:44:58 PM by 2004Slickside »

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #5109 on: October 24, 2019, 14:16:05 PM »

Baby needed a new set of shoes.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5110 on: October 24, 2019, 18:01:40 PM »

I washed the old girl, first time since spring.
2003 2500

Devildog16

« Reply #5111 on: October 25, 2019, 06:33:01 AM »

Baby needed a new set of shoes.

What brand of tires are they, like the tire pattern on them

EXT4ME

« Reply #5112 on: October 25, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »

What brand of tires are they, like the tire pattern on them

265/70R-17 BFGoodrich ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT

Click here for the thread where I discuss these tires. Look toward the bottom of the thread.
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5113 on: October 26, 2019, 23:30:08 PM »

Installed my saddlebag lid today.
Also threw in tire chains and made sure my Ford recovery system is up to snuff.
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5114 on: October 27, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »

Also threw in tire chains and made sure my Ford recovery system is up to snuff.

:laugh:
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

spidey

« Reply #5115 on: October 30, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »

Replaced the drivers side weather stripping.  Years of foot dragging wore it out around the door sill.   Never new I did that, so I guess I will watch out.

Wasn't a really huge spot, but thought might as well since Im keeping it for a long time and it was bugging me

Door definitely sounds different when shut.

Wasnt to hard, but if someone does do this  make sure you push it on all the way, especially in the corners.  If you dont, the stripping will end up being to long where it meets, its cut to exact fit.  Learned this the hard way :-)

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5116 on: October 30, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »

Replaced the drivers side weather stripping.  Years of foot dragging wore it out around the door sill.   Never new I did that, so I guess I will watch out.

Wasn't a really huge spot, but thought might as well since Im keeping it for a long time and it was bugging me

Wasnt to hard, but if someone does do this  make sure you push it on all the way, especially in the corners.  If you dont, the stripping will end up being to long where it meets, its cut to exact fit.  Learned this the hard way :-)
Been thinking of doing this myself. Same thing on my end weather stripping getting bad on the bottom edge of door sill.
Question, were you able to purchase just 1 door weather-stripping or did you have to buy both front or all 4. I have not investigated this yet so any info would be appreciated.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance 2 1/2" lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Firestone Air Springs, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

EXT4ME

« Reply #5117 on: October 30, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »

Easy fun stuff.

Just changed out the front differential gear oil after the first 500 miles per the re-manufacturer's instructions.

Man, this thing is so smooth and quiet so far.

I ordered the part and bought the tool set I need for my next DIY project.

I'll pick up some other supplies in the coming days.

old skool

« Reply #5118 on: October 30, 2019, 21:02:44 PM »

I need to replace mine too...Do you have a part number, cost, and where to buy? Thanks.
Ebony 2007 LS

spidey

« Reply #5119 on: October 31, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »

Been thinking of doing this myself. Same thing on my end weather stripping getting bad on the bottom edge of door sill.
Question, were you able to purchase just 1 door weather-stripping or did you have to buy both front or all 4. I have not investigated this yet so any info would be appreciated.

Just bought the one.  For some reason the drivers side is cheaper then the passenger side, no idea why

I just have to remember to shut the door a bit harder now.  Probably like it was when I bought it new since the stripping is all puffy and new

spidey

« Reply #5120 on: October 31, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »

I need to replace mine too...Do you have a part number, cost, and where to buy? Thanks.

Sorry I dont.  I just bought it direct online at the local GM place.  Which was the cheapest online in Canada for some reason, even Amazon

I bought it this spring actually, been putting it off due to no reason.  Got sick of looking at the box on my work bench the other night.

I think it was around $75

EXT4ME

« Reply #5121 on: November 3, 2019, 01:59:01 AM »

I spent some time on Saturday with my new Harbor Freight Radiator Pressure Tester.

I have been having to add a little coolant lately, so the day was nice and I thought I would see what's up before it started getting cold here.

I was not getting any coolant drips on the ground and I could not see any dampness anywhere.

Nor did I ever really smell any coolant.

I would come up with a little lower coolant level in the expansion tank after several hundred miles of driving.

I had my fingers crossed that I would not discover any leakage at the water pump.

What I did find was a small leak at each main radiator hose where those hoses are secured at the radiator with a worm clamp.

Neither of these leaks showed up until full pressure was applied.

The last person to put these on was my former mechanic some time back.

It could be both clamps had managed to loosen themselves since that time.

Who knows.

But, for the moment, it appears I am once again leak free.

That pressure tester is a cool tool and I managed to snag it up with a 20% off coupon.

And by the way, the green #3 adapter is the one that works with our expansion tank.

Now, to continue getting ready for my next project.

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5122 on: November 3, 2019, 04:07:52 AM »

Man, you have been busy lately.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

Kitrods

• Screens And Scenes
« Reply #5123 on: November 3, 2019, 04:12:04 AM »

Well today I am on vacation but I just did calipers front and rear. Also there is a bearing in the transfer case that makes this odd noise. Replaced that and 10 plates. She has 180k miles so....

EXT4ME

« Reply #5124 on: November 3, 2019, 06:35:10 AM »

Man, you have been busy lately.

More to come.

You know what they say about idle hands.

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 23 queries.