Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're changing forum software! Read the details here.

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1036884 times)

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2020 Premium Member
  • If one is good, then two must be better. Right?
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5175 on: February 3, 2020, 03:07:27 AM »

Well I went and did it. Ordered one in Blue for my 13 LTZ. Should be here this week Tuesday. I see that you "EXT" bought extra hose for your catch can install. Why is that, did the kit not have enough?

Many of the reviews indicated the hose that came with the kit was not a very good one, quality wise.

I am not sure about the quality, but the quantity is certainly lacking.

At least for my application.

After receiving my kit, I found the included hose was a single piece of black 3/8" rubber hose that was just 32" long.

And even if it had been up to the task of holding up to the engine's vacuum, it most certainly was not going to allow me to mount the catch can anywhere near the place I intended to use for my mount.

You are going to need two pieces of hose, at the very least.

I have not measured how much of the 25' of hose I ended up using, but by the looks of what's left on the reel, I feel like I may have ended up using close of half of it.

There is no way that 32" hose was going to cut it for me.

2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Continental Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-66 1500, Victory Red, Dark Charcoal leather, cladded. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Firestone Destination A/T ROWL.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5176 on: February 4, 2020, 11:01:31 AM »

Many of the reviews indicated the hose that came with the kit was not a very good one, quality wise.

I am not sure about the quality, but the quantity is certainly lacking.

At least for my application.
I have to agree with your assessment of this product. I am going to replace the hose also if I keep it, but I am also thinking about the possibility of installing a ball valve in the bottom of the can. My truck is lifted and it may be an issue reaching the can easily... but first I need to figure out how to unscrew it. I am going to the shop and see if the vise will help me in this.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance 2 1/2" lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Firestone Air Springs, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

EXT4ME

« Reply #5177 on: February 4, 2020, 12:21:59 PM »

I have to agree with your assessment of this product. I am going to replace the hose also if I keep it, but I am also thinking about the possibility of installing a ball valve in the bottom of the can. My truck is lifted and it may be an issue reaching the can easily... but first I need to figure out how to unscrew it. I am going to the shop and see if the vise will help me in this.

Now that I have emptied the cup a couple of times, I am pleased with the location I chose.

But, getting the cup off and then back on has proven to be a chore.

That joker is tight and the threads are very precise.

I found I need to have my rubber coated shop gloves on for the best grip.

And keep everything clean, clean, clean.

At the very least, make sure you remove the dipstick before working with the cup.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Continental Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-66 1500, Victory Red, Dark Charcoal leather, cladded. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Firestone Destination A/T ROWL.

No Tyme

« Reply #5178 on: February 5, 2020, 04:48:32 AM »

I have started an Amazon return on the oil catch can. The difficulty in removing the cup and lack of a sturdy bracket were my upmost concerns, but agree that the hose provided was lacking. I tried reaching out to the seller, and received a reply that the seller was unable to receive my email. Called Amazon to express my concerns and no help so I figure if the seller doesn't want to communicate with its customers, I don't want their product.
Wil most likely buy another Elite oil catch can like I installed on my 2014 Silverado.
Thank you for you responses to my inquiry's.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance 2 1/2" lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Firestone Air Springs, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5179 on: February 5, 2020, 05:03:21 AM »

Sorry your experience wasn't as you had hoped.

Luckily, there are others to choose from.

If I hadn't already bought two more, I would gladly buy yours from you.

Let us know when you find a better one.

I may want to upgrade.

No Tyme

« Reply #5180 on: February 8, 2020, 13:34:46 PM »

Today I searched the internet for all the codes, check engine light and alerts in the DIC after installing 2 Arnott air shocks on my 13 LTZ. I did find that I did pop loose a connection for the right rear wheel sensor above the axel, which Arnott says is common mistake, so that took care of a couple of codes. Then I had to reset the air line on the left rear shock as I was getting a "service air suspension" in the DIC. I had an old code reader I picked up from harbor freight years back but it is really no help. I them pulled out my "Blue Driver" which plugs into the OBD-II connector and give me trouble codes, code definitions and even frequency's and so much more, on my phone or tablet, even common fixes. I was able to find the wheel sensor disconnect with it and clear all the codes in my AV.
Now my new compressor kicks on for a couple second with each turn of the key, and I have no codes or messages in the DIC. I am a happy camper.
I was so thrilled I next installed my new plug wires that I did not do last year with my new plugs. I say all in all it was a god day. Maybe I will go out later and clean the MAF sensor and blow out my AEM dry flow air filter. Feeling accomplished today.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 8, 2020, 13:37:22 PM by No Tyme »

EXT4ME

« Reply #5181 on: February 9, 2020, 01:56:49 AM »

Good day indeed, No Tyme!

Well done!

old skool

« Reply #5182 on: February 16, 2020, 18:16:23 PM »

Gave it a good wash and changed the oil and filter. Vacuumed the inside and also the bedrug. Have had spark plugs and wires laying around for the last 3 months...that's next.
Ebony 2007 LS

Dluvr22

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
« Reply #5183 on: February 21, 2020, 17:29:44 PM »

Looked at it for a long while wishing it would just get warmer so that I can work on it.
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124979.0.html

No Tyme

« Reply #5184 on: February 21, 2020, 18:01:39 PM »

Getting disgusted since I put on new shocks, new plug wires and air bags in the springs, NOW I have the cracked dash to deal with. I still have a bumper to bumper warranty but doubt it will take care of it.

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5185 on: February 21, 2020, 18:20:30 PM »

Looked at it for a long while wishing it would just get warmer so that I can work on it.
Well howdy stranger.  Glad to see you back around here.   :wave:. What's up with the Autobot these days.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

2004Slickside

« Reply #5186 on: February 23, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »

Knock sensors on my 2004. Why put them where they did?  :E: One was a real rusted up POS

I see the hydroboost has started leaking P/S fluid out the weep hole again.  My E-bay seal repair sure didn't work for long.  Guess that will be next.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:38:16 PM by 2004Slickside »
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

old skool

« Reply #5187 on: February 23, 2020, 18:21:20 PM »

Gave it a good wash and changed the oil and filter. Vacuumed the inside and also the bedrug. Have had spark plugs and wires laying around for the last 3 months...that's next.

Replaced the spark plugs and wires today. Piece of cake on the drivers side...A little bit harder on the passenger side as you work towards the firewall. 2 1/2 hours later, all done. Removed the engine cover and bcm cover...scrubbed them down and sprayed some engine detailer on them...now they have a glossy shine.
Ebony 2007 LS

Dluvr22

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
« Reply #5188 on: February 24, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »

Well howdy stranger.  Glad to see you back around here.   :wave:. What's up with the Autobot these days.

Not much. The last couple of summers havenít seen much work as Iíve been busy with home renovation projects and Iíve got some new toys. Iím hoping to give it some attention this year though since my projects are winding down.
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124979.0.html

CarMech1969

• "A Chevy man to the end..."
« Reply #5189 on: March 8, 2020, 16:18:26 PM »

Broke out the pressure washer today, and gave the Avy a good blast out in the wheel wells to remove all the road dirt that has been building up all winter. Then washed the whole truck down with soap and hot water, and rinsed it well with the pressure washer. The amount of dirt that came out of the crevices was unbelievable. Knowing what I now know about road salt - it doesn't hurt a vehicle too much if the vehicle is cold and dry...but once the temps start warming up and getting more humid - the salt's tendency to cause corrosion is accelerated. So you will want to get that stuff out of there as soon as possible on a nice day. Which was the case today - will be even warmer Monday  :B:

CarMech1969

Owner of a 2002 Avalanche 2500 series, 4X4

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5190 on: March 8, 2020, 19:01:14 PM »

It was a good day indeed, I didn't need a jacket out side. Didn't  get to the wash the chud off the AV yet.
2003 2500

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5191 on: March 8, 2020, 21:52:16 PM »

Just changed the oil and noticed a small oil leak has been running down the driver's side since the last oil change. Looks live the PCV valve needs replacing. Cant stand a dirty engine so I hit it with a can of engine degreaser. So then noticed mud in the engine bay, so out came the soap bucket and scrubbed the whole thing. Then I said to myself "Gotta do the outside too". Then I looked inside at the rear seat (where the border collie drooled like Niagra falls). Time to detail it. Next thing I know it's dark. So no pics.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

EXT4ME

« Reply #5192 on: March 9, 2020, 00:26:03 AM »

I installed a new windshield washer reservoir tank, pump and plastic line on my Avalanche.

The old pump had been frozen at some point and just crumbled in my hand when I tried to remove it.

I also cut off the locking hitch pin and removed the hitch and ball that came with the truck since the previous owner did not have the key for the lock.

I found the 7-way connector was smashed, so parts are coming to fix that.

Earlier in the week I had installed new front turn signal and headlight lens assemblies along with new turn signal bulbs.

New fog/DRL lens assemblies are due here sometime this week and I already have new sockets and bulbs for the DRL's.

A new windshield is due to be installed on Wednesday.

Basically, I just spent some time learning the truck and making lists of the things I want or need to address.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #5193 on: March 9, 2020, 05:53:37 AM »

I Cut the lawn and did a little bit of landscaping...
and yo uwonder how the avy was involved?

Leaned a shovel against the tailgate....
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

CarMech1969

« Reply #5194 on: March 9, 2020, 15:34:56 PM »

I Cut the lawn and did a little bit of landscaping...
and yo uwonder how the avy was involved?

Leaned a shovel against the tailgate....

Lol! X'D

CarMech1969

« Reply #5195 on: March 9, 2020, 15:42:56 PM »

I installed a new windshield washer reservoir tank, pump and plastic line on my Avalanche.

The old pump had been frozen at some point and just crumbled in my hand when I tried to remove it.

I also cut off the locking hitch pin and removed the hitch and ball that came with the truck since the previous owner did not have the key for the lock.

I found the 7-way connector was smashed, so parts are coming to fix that.

Earlier in the week I had installed new front turn signal and headlight lens assemblies along with new turn signal bulbs.

New fog/DRL lens assemblies are due here sometime this week and I already have new sockets and bulbs for the DRL's.

A new windshield is due to be installed on Wednesday.

Basically, I just spent some time learning the truck and making lists of the things I want or need to address.

You're one of the lucky ones.
When I first got my Av, the hitch refused to come out of the receiver.
No amount of panther piss, air hammering or beating on it with a sledge would free it up.
Tossed the entire hitch assembly into the scrap pile, and found a used hitch from a 1500 Av.
It came with another 7-way connector as well....needed that.
I may have posted pics about it - it was a while ago.
What happened to your windshield?
Mine needed to be remounted back in 2016 - leaked like a sieve.

CarMech1969

EXT4ME

« Reply #5196 on: March 9, 2020, 16:25:03 PM »

You're one of the lucky ones.
When I first got my Av, the hitch refused to come out of the receiver.
No amount of panther piss, air hammering or beating on it with a sledge would free it up.
Tossed the entire hitch assembly into the scrap pile, and found a used hitch from a 1500 Av.
It came with another 7-way connector as well....needed that.
I may have posted pics about it - it was a while ago.
What happened to your windshield?
Mine needed to be remounted back in 2016 - leaked like a sieve.

CarMech1969

Windshield was cracked while the previous owner had it.

I'm not sure why they chose to not have it fixed other than the cracks were only on the passenger side and the driver side is clear.

The truck belongs to me now and I am fixing things to my satisfaction.

Luckily for me, the truck has been maintained really well and runs great.

I bought it from the original owners.

It really helps when a used vehicle lives it's entire life out of the rust zones.

The hitch lock pin came off easy enough with a Dremel cutting wheel.

I'll have it up to my high standards soon enough.

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5197 on: March 9, 2020, 18:57:43 PM »

Insurance companies won't cover you in most states if the windshield crack is not in direct vision of the driver.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

EXT4ME

« Reply #5198 on: March 10, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »

Insurance companies won't cover you in most states if the windshield crack is not in direct vision of the driver.

This is probably most likely one of the reasons the previous owner never bothered to have the windshield replaced.

Other routine maintenance was performed on a regular basis.

Another reason is this truck was a "spare" vehicle that sat in their warehouse for the most part over the past 5 years.

It was only driven when someone in the company had a need for a truck over the SUV company vehicles the two owners drove as daily drivers.

Personally, I have never had any glass replaced using insurance, so I would not know of such things.

The cost of a new windshield for these trucks is only $145 when paying cash, so that is what I usually do.

I have found the glass companies around here tend to charge more if they are billing the insurance companies.

I'm sure they would rather have the cash in hand as opposed to having to file the forms and wait on their payment.

Therefore, the "cash" discount.

So, since only buying a new windshield every 10 years or so, I will just pay cash and roll on down the road.

But, that's just the way I prefer to handle things.

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5199 on: March 10, 2020, 04:25:56 AM »

Did I miss something?  When did you get an Avalanche?  I saw you mention driving your old explorer until you address the head issue in the EXT.  Maybe the time change has me a bit squirrelly than usual.   :dunno:
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 23 queries.