Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206]   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1025747 times)

Kitrods

• Screens And Scenes
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5125 on: November 4, 2019, 20:30:17 PM »

So that leads me to a question about keys and leveling a 2500. Because chassis is not the same. So keys are not also?

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5126 on: November 5, 2019, 05:26:37 AM »

So that leads me to a question about keys and leveling a 2500. Because chassis is not the same. So keys are not also?

I leveled my 2500 the easy way, added bump stop from a 07-08 Silverado 2500 HD Z71

https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=126869.0

brought the front end right up

BTW the keys are not the same.
2003 2500

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #5127 on: November 8, 2019, 14:12:30 PM »

Took the EXT to my new mechanic's shop to have the broken left front exhaust manifold bolt extracted.

The extraction required the removal of the exhaust manifold.

As you might expect, the rear bolt snapped off.

233K miles tend to make these get a little brittle.

I was surprised when only one additional bolt snapped.

At one point, it looked as though we might be looking at a really big job.

But, they worked at it all day and they were finally able to get that back one out without having to dig too deep, i.e. remove the head and such.

So, I now have a new exhaust manifold gasket and, per my request, all of the exhaust manifold bolts were replaced with new.

To be honest, they may have replaced all of those bolts without me saying anything.

But, I just wanted to be certain.

I still heard a very slight ticking when I first fired up the engine.

But I suspect that may be drive train related.

Everything gets really quiet after a few seconds.

The real test will be in the morning after the engine has had a chance to completely cool down overnight.

We shall see.
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5128 on: November 9, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »

Well, back to the old drawing board.
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.

CarMech1969

• "A Chevy man to the end..."
« Reply #5129 on: November 9, 2019, 16:12:52 PM »

Just lifted up my Avalanche to bolt on my winter wheels - and while I was at it, I greased the front end and changed the oil and filter.
I cut open the filter to see what the quality of the components are like. Filter media is solid, no tears. Metal end caps too, which is good to see. Bought a bunch of Group 7 filters from RockAuto a while back for cheap, so was curious about the quality. Seems decent. Purolator filters would often have a string tied around the filter media for whatever reason. This one didn't have a string so does Purolator make these? Maybe. Who knows. Lol!
Had the battery go dead a couple of times over the past few days, so not really sure what's going on there. Alternator was recently replaced, and the battery is one I bought from a rebuilder in 2016 maybe. Probably on its way out anyhow.
That's it for now  ;D

CarMech1969
Owner of a 2002 Avalanche 2500 series, 4X4

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #5130 on: November 10, 2019, 01:05:58 AM »

Me and my avy watched LSU beat Bama.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

EXT4ME

« Reply #5131 on: November 10, 2019, 04:00:20 AM »

Me and my avy watched LSU beat Bama.

Same here!

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5132 on: November 11, 2019, 20:14:18 PM »

Build a snowman?

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

MS03 2500

« Reply #5133 on: November 11, 2019, 21:00:16 PM »

Nope a snow AV,  got 6 inches good thing it was on the holiday.
2003 2500

ohiobellboy

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • 2 Eagles
« Reply #5134 on: November 15, 2019, 17:29:19 PM »

Guess what I did today

I thought you moved out of that house into a condo a few years back.
Avy #1 - '04 Z71 Cladded (dark blue metallic) Purchased 9/07 with too many mods to list. . SOLD 6/21/15
Avy #2 - '05 Z71 WBH (Bermuda Blue) Twiggy purchased 11/11 Current mileage 160,*** Now used as my winter beater SOLD 6/2-/17
Avy #3 - '05 Z71 Cladded (Bermuda Blue) Purchased 9/12  for Twiggy. A few mods.  TRADED 3/10/16
Other Summer toy - 2015 FLTRUSE (Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire)  also called a CVO Road Glide Ultra. Lots of fun on two wheels
2012 BMW 535i with XDrive

MS03 2500

« Reply #5135 on: November 15, 2019, 20:46:12 PM »

I thought you moved out of that house into a condo a few years back.

No condo, moved to Kentucky on a ranch. The AV stays in Michigan after I inherited a home.
2003 2500

EXT4ME

« Reply #5136 on: November 22, 2019, 17:48:30 PM »

Spent the day installing an ACDelco 88963604 GM Original Equipment Power Steering Pump to replace the POS remanufactured PS pump that had been whining for the past couple of years.

I had suspected the power steering pump I replaced was a remanufactured, or otherwise lessor quality pump, but I wasn't totally certain until I got it uninstalled and found a reman sticker on the back side that was not visible until it was out.

As I am finding out, my previous mechanic did not always do what I told him in regards to only purchasing OEM parts when working on my truck.

Oh, well.

He is no longer in business anymore, so I am not going to worry about it.

I am extremely happy now that my power steering pump no longer whines and as a side benefit, the steering and braking seem to have a bit more power assist.

I flushed the system and installed a fresh load of ACDelco Power Steering Fluid 10-5073.

I had gathered the tools and parts and watched videos and researched this project a few weeks ago.

I had planned to complete this repair last weekend, but I hit a snag just as I was getting ready to disconnect the high pressure line and remove the rear PS pump bracket bolts.

I found there was no way I could even see, much less remove the bracket bolts or remove the high pressure line from under the truck.

So, I replaced everything I had removed off of the engine up to that point and called it a day until I had better information.

I spent some time looking up more videos and reviewing the ones I had previously viewed for a clue as to what was going on.

I finally had a plan and decided to give it another go this morning.

What I can tell you is you can perform this entire repair without ever having to get under the truck to loosen or remove anything!

I only lifted the truck up onto jack stands at the end so that I could prime the system and get the air out.

If I were to provide any tips, I would say first plan to remove everything off of the front of the engine like air ducting, fans, fan shrouds and the alternator.

Get all of that stuff out of the way so you have plenty of room to pull and reinstall the PS pump pulley.

I ended up doing that twice before I was done.

The trick for me was to locate and remove the rear PS pump bracket bolt that screws into the engine block.

That damned thing was hidden under a piece of black tape that was covered in grease and grime.

Once I found the silly thing, things began to move right along.

Don't worry about removing the high pressure hose from the PS pump.

Remove the pulley and take out all of the bolts holding the main bracket to the engine.

Disconnect the high pressure hose at the brake booster.

Remove the main bracket with the PS pump attached while feeding the high pressure hose down through everything.

Take the bracket to the work bench and swap everything out.

Install in reverse.

I also suggest emptying out the PS fluid before you get too far.

I am actually pretty proud of this repair.

It may not seem like much to some, but to this old guy, it was quite the accomplishment.

:thumbsup:

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5137 on: November 22, 2019, 21:47:21 PM »

I have a guaranteed lifetime POS Autozone pump that whines on extremes turns, but works fine otherwise. On my 2002 you could practically eat off the engine compartment. I freak out on any oil leak and wash it on a regular basis in the engine compartment. Not saying other ppl don't do the same, but it's a good indicator when something is not right when there is oil where it should not be.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

EXT4ME

« Reply #5138 on: November 23, 2019, 03:01:22 AM »

I have a guaranteed lifetime POS Autozone pump that whines on extremes turns, but works fine otherwise. On my 2002 you could practically eat off the engine compartment. I freak out on any oil leak and wash it on a regular basis in the engine compartment. Not saying other ppl don't do the same, but it's a good indicator when something is not right when there is oil where it should not be.

I'm with you on that count.

I'm not as good at this as I used to be.

The last time I did a really good cleaning of the engine compartment, even though I thought I was taking good precautions, I ended up having to replace the knock sensors.

And later, when I replaced both valve cover gaskets, I found I had missed quite a few spots.

There are a lot of spots on these engines that are good hiding places for grime.

I was surprised when I finally located that one power steering bolt, covered in a piece of black tape and grime.

Where that piece of tape came from is a mystery, for sure.

I'm thinking it may have come off of a wiring loom or something like that.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5139 on: December 1, 2019, 15:24:08 PM »

Installed a brand new OEM throttle body assembly.

I have gotten the reduced engine power error several times over the past three or four years and the last two times were within the past three months.

The codes always indicated a problem with the TB throttle position sensor.

I figured 234K miles was good enough and I decided to treat my engine to a new throttle body assembly in hopes of ending this issue.

I took the opportunity to replace the factory spring hose clamps on the coolant lines at the TB with regular hose clamps since I had recently found a small coolant leak at that location.

I hooked up my Harbor Freight radiator pressure tester to make sure everything was holding good.

As I was getting ready to wrap things up, I spotted a tiny leak at one of the hoses connected to one of my heater hose quick disconnects.

I had replaced both of the quick disconnects and both heater hoses a little while back.

I had replaced one of the factory spring hose clamps with a regular hose clamp at that time.

Guess which one I found leaking today.

You would think I would have learned my lesson.

I replaced the spring clamp with a regular hose clamp and re-pressurized the system

After sitting an hour under full pressure, I did not spot any more leaks.

We shall see.

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5140 on: December 1, 2019, 19:00:17 PM »

Well the Mule becomes a Pack Mule.  :4:

We have decided to keep her PT Cruiser for me as a daily driver. 

2004 Touring Edition Turbo. 134K. That she purchased new.
So I know the car.
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206]   Go Up

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 24 queries.