• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Found RUST under My Cladding every one better check theirs!!!!

Camo1

I look all my cladding off to get redone and found were it has rusted!  If you ask me it was a bad design from GM all of the AV will rust there.  You better get yours looked at before it gets worse!  It is infront of the back wheels

This is were the rust was!

Attachments

• Rust Right Side.jpg
    Rust Right Side.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 462
  • Rust left side.jpg
    Rust left side.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 459
  • Rust Right Side.jpg
    Rust Right Side.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 457
  • Rust left side.jpg
    Rust left side.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 457
This is really crazy.
I had a dream some time back that my AV was rusting in that very spot.
I went out to check and no rust yet.
Thanks for the warning.

Looks like it rusted from back side ....

I would suggest for the CLADDED owners to inspect those areas every so often during the WINTER season!! Then do a good washing of those areas so the road salt does rust up!!!!  (y)

That's exactly why I hate plastic covering metal, Everything from Avalanches to Aztecks rust really bad under there especially in Michigan.

On a positive note, You probably wouldn't notice it for another couple years with the cladding on. :D  WBH my man. (y)

LK

It did rust from behind bc the guy that owned it before me didnt clean that out and a little mud set there for god knows how long

My AV sets outside 24/7 all year long. I have no rust on the body at all. Last 2 years I have been washing it with an electric pressure washer. I always wash inside the wheel wells real good, especially around the body edge. In the winter it might get washed once a month weather permitting.  :wave:

Had my '04 undercoated, never did take it in for yearly rust inspection/touch up. I shoot the salt out from underneath and get the wheel wells at the car wash really good a few times each winter so mine's pretty clean.

If it's not visible just clean it up with a wire wheel then spray it with rustoleum front & back and put the cladding back on. I rough up my hitch reciever, bumper guards and mounting brackets with a wire brush and sandpaper then spray them with flat black rustoleum each spring. It inhibits existing rust and seals out moisture, an ounce of protection...

Pete05 said:
Damm I'm nervous. My rockers are rusted and around my latch on the hood.
How bad have your rockers rusted? Mine are pretty bad. My driver side has rottted all the way through under the back door and you can feel where it has rusted all the way down under the rubber piece. Same on the other side only no visable rot. Im sure it is rusted under the cladding in front of the back wheels. You can see bubbles through a cap in the cladding when you pry it up a little bit  :E: Just dont have the funds right now to fix it  (n)

Look for screws on the edges holding it on, then pull hard, then pull harder they are held on with cladding clips.  Make sure you get some new cladding clips before you try to get them off. 

If you search the site with the words "cladding clips" you can find sources for them. I would not recommed getting them from a dealer I think they want 4-5 bucks a piece for them.

Reawakening this thread.  I found that the cladding piece in front of my left rear tire was loose the other day.  Today while doing a rear brake job, I checked it out since I had more room with the wheel off.  I have rust behind the cladding, to the extent that the holes that the cladding clips go into are larger than they should be.  Will have to look into it further when I have more time to work on it.

I saw a blue one with a rust hole you could put your arm thru right above the rear wheel. No problems with my '04 yet but it was undercoated when new. There are still piles of salt in the parking lot at work,  the idiots practically pave it in salt every winter

Back