Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer installed in my 02 Avalanche  (Read 53751 times)

Dluvr22

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
Re: Computer installed in my 02 Avalanche
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 06:51:09 AM »

These are pics after I decided on a whim to paint the rims black.
I don't know how this will stand the test of time but for now they came out a lot better than I expected.
For those interested I painted the rims with duplicolor shadow paint.
This is not the actual effect it should have but I have to say it does look OK.
If these were actual chrome rims, and I was looking for a shadow effect and not a blacked out look , I'd be really ****ed.
If you are looking for a shadow on your rims like this is advertised to do, I'll tell you now do not apply it to your rims.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:30:54 AM by Dluvr22 »
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124979.0.html

Dluvr22

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 06:52:07 AM »

UPDATE: Paint did not last.

Part of it is from my doing the other is the idiots at Sears.
I took my car to have my tires rebalanced after rotating and I specifically told the guy at the counter that I would perfer that they not use the clip on weights rather they should use the adhesive version that are normally used on aftermarket wheels.
This must have gone through one ear and out the other because I got my car back with the stupid clip on weights which ruined the paint where it was stuck on.
To make matters worse the balancing machine must have had something sticking out of it and touching the rim as I now have a scratched circle in the middle of all four rims where as it was rotating this object scratched all four rims.
I did not notice this because they dropped the car off at work for me since I work next door and dropped it off during lunch hour.
When I took it back to complain the manger had the nerves to tell me that it did not happen there.
Like I could have scratched all four rims in a circular pattern while driving back there.
This really totally ****ed me off.
Never again will I take my car to Sears as this is the second time they have done shoddy work on my vehicle.
I only take it there because it was close to work and I could just drop it off and pick it up later without much inconvenience.
The convenience is definitely not worth the trouble.

For my part, I messed up my two front wheels a bit more when I accidentally sprayed brake cleaner on the wheel to get rid of the brake dust but forgot to wash off immediately.
When I finally got around to washing it , it had etched into the paint messing it up some.
From a distance you can hardly notice it but I know it is there and it irks me.

Guess I will either repaint next summer as I plan to use the factory rims and tires during the winter months and get some after market wheels put on later or take it to some shop to gt it painted professionally.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:31:45 AM by Dluvr22 »
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............

Dluvr22

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »

Audio

So many things to do and not enough time or money to get them done as fast as I want.

I decided that now will be a good time as any to upgrade my audio system to compliment the computer.

I scored a sweet deal on 2 sets of Focal VRS component speakers for the doors a few days ago.
I plan on adding some sound deadening material to the doors to get the best out of these.
At approximately $500 a pair retail, these are supposed to be great speakers so I do not plan on skimping on the rest of the stuff to connect them.

Last night I took the door panels off my car to install the speakers.
Here are some pics of my panels before speaker install.

My original plan was to install the tweeter for the front doors behind the side mirror housing. However as you all know in the case of the 02 Avalanche and some other GM trucks the driver side dash completely blocks it.
I am no sound guru but I had previously put tweeters in the A-Pillar of another vehicle I owned in the past and I should say I was less than happy with the results.
For one thing it was sticking out and became an eyesore for me. Another issue I had was that I could practically hear the tweeter separately from the mid-range and it was so annoying I had to turn the treble down just to try to enjoy my music.
I was not sure how this would sound and I definitely did not want a repeat performance so I resulted to installing the tweeter in the door panels
The factory tweeter is right next to the mid-range speaker in their setup.
I therefore decided to mount mine as close as possible to the factory location to retain the imaging.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:32:23 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 06:53:54 AM »

more updates on the audio to come as it gets completed !!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:32:43 AM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

:thumbsup: very nice, although it defeats the midgate...but if you don't use it, no big deal, right?  Does the screen swivel/tilt or is it fixed?  The only thing I would change is to make it retractable.

Yes the mid-gate no longer lays flat.
I considered putting it under the seat but I am putting sub woofers there. Haven't decided whether I want a 1 or 2 speaker set up yet.
If I go with 1 speaker the CPU can go under the seat and the mid-gate lays flat but the CD changer will cause it to lift just a little. Come to think of it, a sub woofer under the seat will also cause it not to fold flat.
I don't use the mid-gate much but I have had to in the past. Guess I will decide later .

As for the screen it is mounted there and does not fold or retract. I plan on having the screen put into the dash and I'll relocate the A\C controls to the little cubby where the map lights are located if possible.
Any good fabricators on here who can take on the project of putting that LCD in the dash?
I checked the measurements and it fits minus the case that it is currently in.

Dluvr22

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »

Off-road lights HID conversion

Ok so I am planning on adding a bull bar in the very near future with a set of offroad lights.
Since all the lights on by car are LEDs and 8000K HIDs. I decided that I want my Off road lights to be HIDs as well.
HID off road lights are over $120 per light and since I need 2 they will be over $240.00.
LED Off road lights are less expensive - somewhere in the range of $100.00 a set.
However since I already had a spare set of 8000k HID bulbs lying around I decided to go that route instead, hence the birth of my project.

Parts:
8000K HID Offroad light kit - Knocking around probably cost me $50.00
KC HiLites Daylighters - $104.00
HID extension cables - $20.00

Tools:
Blade
Solder
Soldering Iron
Screwdriver
Patience
Time on your hands

You may say why the Daylighters as there are cheap knockoffs that can be had for a lot less.
Well I have tried the cheap alternative on my first vehicle as I could not afford Daylighters at the time however they rusted out faster than the time I put into them so I will not waste my time this time around.
also seeing as how the H3 HID bulbs are significantly larger than the halogen versions a smaller or slimmer housing would not do the trick.

Dluvr22

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:37 AM »

The previous shots show the daylightsers with the regular H3 halogen 100 watt bulbs in them.

Dluvr22

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 07:35:09 AM »

Taking apart the daylighter to replace the H3 halogen with H3 HIDs.

Dluvr22

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »

HID extension cable (5ft long).
These are generally used for motorcycles and other applications where the ballast cannot be installed next to the bulbs because of space limitation.

Comparison between the 2 bulbs. As you can see the glass part of the HID bulb is significantly longer than the halogen.
So is the black part.
As a result there is no way it can be fit into the KC slimlites or and other slim foglights out there.

Dluvr22

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:44 AM »

HID bulb in place of the Halogen Bulb.
I had to do some trimming of the bulb plastic to get the metal clip to go around it as it is thicker then the halogen bulb.
This is one of the delicate parts of the conversion because if you exert too much pressure and there is a slip you can easily break the bulb.

Here I cut the plugs of the extension cable to thread it through the metal wire loom.
There is no way the plugs will go through.
If you cannot solder or faint of heart do not try this.
The better option actually is to try to open the clips and pull out the metal pins.
After I did the first one, I figured out how to pull the pins out and did not have to solder the rest of the wires.
This option involves a bit more time but it is better as not do not mess with the actual connection to the pins.

To each his own so you can do whichever suits you

Dluvr22

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »

This illustrates the actual bulb installed.
There is not a lot of space between the tip of the bulb and the glass.

Finished install
This still looks like the factory KC HiLites until it comes on.
The extension cables are long enough for me to mount the ballast where the ballast for my fog-lights are located in the front bumper.

Final testing and the beam is awesome.
It is so bright that I definitely cannot drive on the streets with it without pointing it down to the ground a bit.
but If I ever need  flood lights they will be there in a pinch

Just need to get the proper bull bar to install it on.
Please see my poll here:

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,130723.0/viewResults.html

Let me know what you think will work best with the truck.
All opinions are welcome.

redheadedrod

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 00:38:37 AM »

What are the measurements of this PC case? I am actually looking at getting a very similar setup for my truck. I am debating where to put the computer at this time. I am thinking the center console depending on the side of the unit. If I put this in the center console my intention is to mount it above the BOSE amplifier and cutting up the storage area to make it fit. But I need to know what the side is of the case. I will likely have the cooling fans exhaust to the rear of the console where the rear drink holders are now.

The same case and the M2 power supply a zotac mother board and a i7 processor with 4 or 8 gigs ram and 750 gig HD. Going to install monitors in the dash and console. Will also mount monitors in the head rests and where the rear AV controls are now.

I am looking at building a custom device to replace the HVAC controls. This will use a touch screen mounted in the worthless overhead console.  Probably a 7" or smaller screen.
2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)

Dluvr22

« Reply #37 on: July 8, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »

Sorry for the late response.

Here are the case specs:

Dimensions: 10" x 9.25" x 3.125" / 254mm x 235mm x 80mm (L x W x H)
Weight: 1Kg/2.2Lbs
Finish: Anodized Aluminum
Color: Black
Hard Drive Support: 1x 2.5 inch DVD/CD
Drive Support: USB DVD
Power Supply: Not Included.
Case Ventilation: 1x 50 x 50 x 10mm fan 6500RPM 32dB
Mounting Position: Universal

Dluvr22

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 20:00:07 PM »

Here is my latest pic of the Bull Bar install.

Different looks for the Bull Bar

Now back to the car computer install
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 20:46:38 PM by Dluvr22 »

AvyOwner23

• Black On Black
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 23:28:47 PM »

dude, this is sick!!!! your av looks awesome!! keep up the good work! I'm jealous. What do you do to know so much about computers?
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71 240,XXX miles and still going strong.
-2 8 inch infinity subs under the rear seats
- Off brand 1100 watt amp, it does its job well
- 6000k Fog/ Driving Lamps
- Amber DRL's
More mods coming

Dluvr22

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 22:54:26 PM »

Nothing special really. Modding my avalanche is one of my great joys. Building regular and custom PCs is also a second hobby. So I figured why not combine the two for a great in car computing experience?
Right now I am working on getting my dash redone and the A/C controls relocated to fit a 12 inch touchscreen in there. I will post pics as soon as I start making progress.
I'm also upgrading the PC to windows 8 and switching to a solid state hard drive as well as a new monitor with HDMI input in the work. A whole new set of pics will be up soon so stay tuned

Dluvr22

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 16:38:28 PM »

So after years of work and many different upgrades and changes, I am now ready to show you you guys what has been finally done with my CarPC build.

The next to last piece of this computer build involved me getting my screen molded into the dash for a factory look.
This involved moving my A/C controls out of the way and building a custom dash bezel.
After years of beating around the bush, I finally worked up the courage to cut apart my dash parts.

Here  is the result:

A/C controls relocated

Rebuilt Bezel:

In the end I painted the Bezel black as the gray just didn't work too well with the LCD in the daytime.

12.1 inch touchscreen monitor test fitted into my dash.

Right now I am running Windows 8 64 bit.
SO far it works just fine altough there are minor bugs that still need to be worked out for me.
In the end I don't use the Windows interface much so...... Oh well.

Dluvr22

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 17:09:13 PM »

More Pics of the dash showing some of the functions.

Screen with Alpine head unit below

Close up of the screen with Windows 8 lock screen.

Another view with Windows 8 start screen.

This setup has a startup/ shutdown controller which I programmed to hibernate the PC automatically 5 minutes after the avalanche is shut off and RAP goes off. The PC gets accessory power directly from my Alpine head unit. In essence it (the headunit) acts as a power button for the CarPC. Turn the head unit off and the CarPC hibernates as well. I originally had it do the sleep thing instead to boot up faster and had my controller providing 5V permanently to keep the PC running in sleep mode however my new Optima RedTop eventually failed me as I started waking up to a dead battery on Monday mornings if I did not drive the whole weekend 4 months later.
Eventually it was every morning I woke up to a dead battery. Turns out the PC consumes more power in sleep mode as it retains all settings in RAM when going to sleep.
Hibernate on the other hand writes the settings to the hard drive then shuts down. I do now experience slightly longer boot times as a result but I'd rather have that than instant on with a dead battery.
As for the screen it also powers off if no HDMI or Video input is available. In addition it powers on automatically ones it gets 12 volts from the truck so I had no need for the buttons on the screen. I did retain the remote so I may switch inputs to my camera or other video devices I may  choose to add in the future.

This is my main men screen.
If you've seen some of my other posts with pics of my Avalanche, you would remember that I have a Transformers theme going on the outside so it made since to use it on the inside as well.
This screen should give you an idea of some of the functions I have.

And here is my settings page
This allows me to go back to windows or tweak other settings

At some point I hope to detail all the apps I am using in the truck.

EDIT:
I just noticed that my Vehicle Infotainment System is running on Pacific Time so it is 3 houurs behind my actual Windows time and my current time zone.
Guess I'll have to go back outside and correct that

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 18:09:13 PM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 17:36:59 PM »

Here is one of my connected apps page.
Later i will add more pics  and pages as I find connected apps i deem useful.
Lets just say with LTE, anything goes. Netflix and Gmail are others that i can think of off the top of my head

Dluvr22

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 18:05:36 PM »

And just when you thought it couldn't get any better, I have more tricks up my sleeve

Yes you are reading right.
Navigation......... well everybody has that nowadays so is traffic so I am not going into details as it is run of the mill stuff.

Traffic Cams.

Yes these are live traffic cam feeds that are being imported directly into the Avalanche and I can select a feed to view it full screen as well as take a snapshot.
Maybe one day I'll take a snapshot of my truck as I go past the field of view of one of them.

Dluvr22

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 18:46:21 PM »

Last but not the least are my digital gauges.
I have the computer hooked up to my OBD II port under the dash as you may know from following this thread.

Here are the pics.

I burrowed the background pic from this forums calender I think some years ago. I hope i am not stepping on anyone's toes by using it this way.
If I am, I apologize and please let me know.

Does this remind you of any vehicle you may want to drive someday?
I chose the Lexus LFA gauge style because it looks really nice and is along the same lines as my Alpine head unit display.

Dluvr22

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 18:54:39 PM »

More pics:

From the diagnostics icon, i have the ability to read engine codes on the fly and reset the check engine light after repairs.
This comes in really handy as once or twice I have gotten the blinking check engine light but it stops the moment you shut off the truck so if you don't have to stop and go looking for your OBD scanner wherever you may have left it. That happened to me in the past and when I got the scanner to check, the code had already cleared.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 18:05:47 PM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 18:58:18 PM »

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 18:07:57 PM by Dluvr22 »

Dluvr22

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 19:03:18 PM »

Same gauges.
Only this time it is in race mode.
LOL I get a kick out of that is the Avalanche is no race car.

I am considering rewriting the skin to have the gauges top out at 6000 rpm as our trucks don't ever go up to 10,000. This way I will also see more movement of the needle

Dluvr22

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 19:16:28 PM »

Here's a quick video I made of the gauges in action today.

http://youtu.be/vug6Jm-zT9k
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 18:30:40 PM by Dluvr22 »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 24 queries.