• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

My Duramax Avalanche project

Alaska_AV.

Cruise Coord
SM 2003
Converting our 2002 2500 Avalanche to a 2005 Duramax/Avalanche

got a 05 HD Silverado duramax/allisonat auction awile back. Combining it with my Wrecked 02 AV along with parts from an 03 2500 I got last year to rebuild the Wifes Avalanche. This thing is a monster, nothing is small..... Here are some pics of the first fitting of the body/frame /engine  I have to get back at it. I'll fill in the blanks as It goes along.

Attachments

• akavdmax1.jpg
    akavdmax1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,785
  • AKAVdmax.jpg
    AKAVdmax.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,774
Looks like it will be full under the hood. You are good at filling in the blanks, I have no doubt you will be successful with this project!

I have seen the other Pics from Facebook.
So you know me :nopics:

Took the body off to finish boxing the frame, fit the silverado's fuel tank, hang fuel cooler, modify a body mount, make the 2" body lift spacers and fit the 5" exaust. Oh ya install the rear end and load springs......

Skiping adding the second 2500 fuel tank for now, well back to work or bed????

Sounds like you are making progress. (y)

Looking good, I look at those monsters every night. The completed chassis, engine, drivetrain comes upstairs right across from me and robots sit both box & cab on it at the same time and bolt it together. I did the body merge job a few times on the GMT800, robots do even more of the job on the GMT900

You should come take a tour sometime, we build about 38 trucks and hour at speed or about 320 in 10 hrs

Alaska_AV. said:
Converting our 2002 2500 Avalanche to a 2005 Duramax/Avalanche

got a 05 HD Silverado duramax/allisonat auction awile back. Combining it with my Wrecked 02 AV along with parts from an 03 2500 I got last year to rebuild the Wifes Avalanche. This thing is a monster, nothing is small..... Here are some pics of the first fitting of the body/frame /engine   I have to get back at it. I'll fill in the blanks as It goes along.

What an awesome project.  There used to be a company in Colorado that would do the Duramax conversion for $35,000 to any 2500 Suburban or AV you provided.  They're not around any more.

Looking forward to watching the progress!!

Flint4x4 said:
Looking good, I look at those monsters every night. The completed chassis, engine, drivetrain comes upstairs right across from me and robots sit both box & cab on it at the same time and bolt it together. I did the body merge job a few times on the GMT800, robots do even more of the job on the GMT900

You should come take a tour sometime, we build about 38 trucks and hour at speed or about 320 in 10 hrs

I've done the tour of the Bowling Green plant a few times.  Every time we go down there, that's one of the highlights of my trip.  My wife even started one up for the first time.  VERY COOL.  I've also toured the old plant in Baltimore when they were making the Astro van.  Again, really cool.

-Alaska_AV... this is an awesome undertaking.  I hate to say it, but it's something I would do.  Just don't tell my wife. :)  I can't wait to see your progress.  Thank you for posting.

Man, just lost a day using the silverado fuel tank.  Damn rear axle wants to hit it. Won't fit another way, unless I do a 6" inch lift........  Guess I have to fit the AV tanks now    Got the silverado axle in and brakes Plumed and the exaust refit

Alaska_AV. said:
Man, just lost a day using the silverado fuel tank.  Damn rear axle wants to hit it. Won't fit another way, unless I do a 6" inch lift........  Guess I have to fit the AV tanks now    Got the silverado axle in and brakes Plumed and the exaust refit

More pics... PLEASE!!  I'm doing a restoration right now of my car, and I know how hard it is to stop and take pictures when you're on a roll and getting things done.  This just sounds like an awesome project and I would love to see the stops involved.

gn85 said:
More pics... PLEASE!!  I'm doing a restoration right now of my car, and I know how hard it is to stop and take pictures when you're on a roll and getting things done.  This just sounds like an awesome project and I would love to see the stops involved.
:nopics:  Thanks John.  R. (y)

here are some pics,

I had to modify a fuel pick up system. Added 1/2 pickup to the lid and modded the avalanche float to the Silverado pickup tub.  :beating:

did some quick plumbing , keeping the fuel cooler and second Avalanche tank.

built an adapter for the 2 inch diesel filler tube to 1 1/4 Avalanche line.

Attachments

• akav6.jpg
    akav6.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,620
  • akav4.jpg
    akav4.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,620
  • akav3.jpg
    akav3.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,605
  • akav5.jpg
    akav5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,612
pic of the 5 inch exhaust I had to mod into the shorter frame....

then placing the body back down "I love my camper jacks BTW"  then slapped the front end on to role it out for a bit

Attachments

• akav 5inch exaust.jpg
    akav 5inch exaust.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,597
  • akav2.jpg
    akav2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,605
  • akav 1.jpg
    akav 1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,587
couple pics of this thing outside (y)

I'm in  :love:

Attachments

• akav9.jpg
    akav9.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,567
  • akav7.jpg
    akav7.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,562
  • akav8.jpg
    akav8.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,585
A pic of the 2500 AV Second tank fuel pump

Cutting some 2" x 1/4 pipe for body spacers to use on the rear mounts. another pic before the body went on

Attachments

• akav10.jpg
    akav10.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,547
  • akav11.jpg
    akav11.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,540
  • akav12.jpg
    akav12.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,546
I like your use of the copper fittings for the filler and the EMT for the body spacers, Engineering at its best. Not long now and it will be going down the road. (y)

That is inspiring.  I know my wife doesn't want to hear any more about 'projects', but If I EVER had all the stars aligned, I would love do this.

Not that I would try, but do you think this could be done on a 1500?

Keep up the awesome work. 

That is a great project, at my best I would be lost trying something like that! Great work.  (y)

Looks good.  Can't wait to see it done.

I have a dream of a 07+ body with a silverado hd front end on the old 2500 frame, and a diesel drivetrain.  Could it be done?  I'm sure with enough time and money it could, but its fun to imagine anyway.  Maybe some day.

having some fun now....

stripped out the 02 wiring and dash and heater

Attachments

• S1030003.jpg
    S1030003.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,424
  • S1030007.jpg
    S1030007.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,419
  • S1030004.jpg
    S1030004.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,410