• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

4WD engagment

1coolZ71

I have the 2009 Avy and am looking to move to an EXT
I was told it may be a problem for me because the 4-wheel drive works different on the EXT.
An Avy will engage 4WD from a dead stop but the EXT doesn't engage until 5 mph.

Is that true?
Does anyone tow a 4 place snowmobile trailer and have trouble getting the 4WD to engage?

Escalade are All Wheel Drive. It's a on demand system.

EXT doesn't have 4WD they have AWD.

4WD = 2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo mode, 2 speed transfer case, ability to drive in 2WD mode, 4WD hi (for unpaved roads, snow, low traction areas), or 4WD LO, for Thick Mud, extreme loose sand, rock areas, or major deep snow.  

the 4WD system will transfer power between the front and rear wheels depending on what is required for the type of terrain.  4WD is designed for OFF ROAD conditions, not for paved roads, and the mode is determined by a selector switch (manual or electronic) that is controlled by the driver, not the computer.

AWD = All Wheel Drive, all 4 wheels drive the vehicle at all times (in most systems) and is used in conjuction with traction control to transfer power away from wheels that are slipping, designed for ON ROAD (paved) to assist in bad weather, (rain, snow) conditions and help maintain control of the vehicle and prevent the vehicle from becoming "stuck" or hydroplaning in heavy rain, snow, ice conditions.

as stated the EXT is an on demand system, that is when the computer decides that the front wheels need traction, it engages and determines how much power needs to be there.

they are not the same, they do not work the same, and they really cannot be compared,  4x4 is for off road, AWD is for on road.

1coolZ71 said:
Well it looks like I have to stay away from the EXT then.

I need 4WD to tow my heavy trailer in the snow and don't want to get stuck.

don't know how heavy/large your trailer is, but if I recall correctly, the EXT has a max tow cap of 5,000lbs,  it along with the desire for real 4WD is why I went AV instead of EXT..  I liked the EXT interior much better, and the 6.2L motor, but I needed 4WD and 7,000lbs towing.

Looking at the Cadillac web site it can tow 7600 pounds.

AWD would be better since it would reduce front wheel slip

ygmn said:
AWD would be better since it would reduce front wheel slip
But that would be only after the rears started to slip. If he's got a load behind the truck and the transfer case needs to engage, that extra load may be harmful  when the tx case engages if used on a regular basis. With it locked in 4hi, then the load is constant and less harsh on the case.

Get an EXT cheap enough and you can make it worth while by swapping in a 4x4 t-case.

Back