• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

drl not working..

badboy2

my drl suddenly stops working.i got my 2003 avy used and the 1st 2 days it was working fine ,now its not working anymore.i have it set on auto..where can i find the sensor ?

What kind of sensor are you looking for.  ???

the sensor that activates the drl..is there a sensor for it?coz at night the headlights turns on while the knob is on automatic.during the day theres no lights.

Do you have a owner manual.  ???

The DRL only works if the headlights are off, and the Avy is in drive(unless you have full time DRL's). Oh and if the emergency brake is off. If the Avy is in Park it will not work.. If it is in drive and the emergency brake isn't set and the DRL is still not working and I assume you checked for a blown bulb... Then check the DRL socket itself. If the socket is extremely "burned/charred" looking on the inside then chances are the socket is fried. I had to replace mine not to long ago. Just my .02

Thanks 4x4dreamer

They will work with the enigine off also.

no manual..previous owner didnt took care of this truck..i got it for $7850 2weeks ago,but i need to replace a lot of parts.mostly front suspension.so i was kinda upset when this problem came up.

badboy2 said:
no manual..previous owner didnt took care of this truck..i got it for $7850 2weeks ago,but i need to replace a lot of parts.mostly front suspension.so i was kinda upset when this problem came up.

Don't sweat it too much! Changing DRL sockets isn't a big job! (y) Did you check the sockets themselves. If so, how do they look? Also, does your truck have cladding or is it a WBH(without Body Hardware) By the way, even if it has high miles and isn't in perfect shape, $7,850 isn't a bad price  :B:

The socket gets corroded. It is easy to disassemble the socket and clean it. Once the bulb is removed, use a paperclip and slide it down along side the metal contact inside the plug. The wire and contact will slide out. I cleaned mine with Tarn-X and the corrosion instantly disappears. Spread the metal contact a little to provide a little more contact pressure on the bulb. Use a little silicone grease to keep the corrosion away and it'll work just fine. I had to do it to both headlights. It's actually pretty easy.
Dan

i changed the bulbs and still no go..the sockets are kinda brownish in color..maybe i need new sockets ..i wanna see where the fuse is locaTed also.
@DAN do you need to disconnect the battery when you slide in a clip in the socket?when you slide it in ,are you doing it to open them up a bit?like  prying the metal part?im gonna check again tomorrow..i ran out of time .i was doin this while im smokin some ribs!

You can download an owners manual here:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/2003/owners_manual.html

im reading the manual but im kinda confused.the fuse for the drl is not located in the fuse box on the driver side?from what i understand its in the box under the hood?is that right?im also looking on how hard is it to change the sockets?its not in the manual though. pls  :help:

badboy2 said:
im reading the manual but im kinda confused.the fuse for the drl is not located in the fuse box on the driver side?from what i understand its in the box under the hood?is that right?im also looking on how hard is it to change the sockets?its not in the manual though. pls  :help:
The sockets inside of the plug are the same as the reverse lights. They pop out real easy by pushing in little tab one each side of the plug and then pull right out. I picked some up from a junkyard recently so I have some spares. I know there's some pix on here somewhere, Just don't have time to hunt them down at the moment. Getting ready to go to work again. :p

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2721996 this one shows the wires too..is this the one you meant that it can be pulled out?

badboy2 said:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2721996 this one shows the wires too..is this the one you meant that it can be pulled out?
Yup, You don't need the whole plug. Just the white insert. Check around some local junk yards for the reverse lights off of silverados or burbs or hoes. I got 6 of them for $5. Another member ordered the unit you see in the pix from Advance Auto and paid $25 each for them.

I had the same problem.  It's the sockets on most GM Vehicles, apparently not enough to have a recall.  I picked a new socket up at the dealership for about $13.00.  Spliced it in and the DRL are working good as new; next is the tail light sockets.  I have a couple lights in the back doing the same thing.

Just bought a 2013 Avalanche LTZ...a couple of questions
1. Does this model have DRL's? (mine don't go on; in drive, parking brake not on, etc)
2. Could someone have "programmed" the vehicle to turn off the DRLs? If so, how do I turn them back on?

Any thoughts on how to get them working?

THANK YOU!

DRL's are common to burn out, regardless of the model year.

I would start with the bulbs, first.

My DRL's will turn on when the shifter is out of Park, the e-brake is not engaged and the light sensor thinks it is daylight.

I place a flashlight on the dash pointed at the light sensor if I need to test and it is not light enough where I am testing.

Leave the engine off, block the wheels, do not engage the e-brake and shift out of Park.

If the lights are working properly, you should be able to see your DRL's.

(y)

Back