• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adding the heated wheel from 2012 LTZ

Wow... I'm assuming you mean steering wheel? Didn't realize that was an option now. Sounds interesting... Hopefully it works out better than the heated washer fluid did... 

Why a 2012 they have been out for a few years.
And if you do a search you will find how to do it.

I'm wondering if its as easy as a plug and play thing if you purchase the cadillac steering wheel with heated option.  I keep reading about some SIR coil?  Very interested in this mod myself.

interesting was minus 29 C yesterday, wished my avy had a heated wheel lol.... ive got a 2009 LTZ fully loaded but couldnt find out how / if my truck has heated mirrors, see no button for it. They are LED turn and power fold.

OK I'll look into this more this weekend, here's something to get you guys started.

Heated Steering Wheel

The heated steering wheel system consists of a heated steering wheel, a heated steering wheel switch, and a steering wheel heat module. The heated steering wheel includes non-serviceable heating elements and a temperature sensor. The heating elements and sensor are located in the left and right sides of the rim of the steering wheel. The heated steering wheel switch is located in the left steering wheel control switch assembly. The steering wheel heat module is located at the top of the steering wheel center hub. When the switch is pressed, the switch signal circuit is grounded and the heat module turns the heated steering wheel on. The system then remains on until the customer turns it off. The wheels normal operating temperature is 32?C (89.6?F). The wheel takes approximately 3 to 4 minutes to reach the normal operating temperature. The wheel will take longer to heat up if the vehicle temperature is below -21?C (-5.8?F). The built-in temperature sensor provides input to the controller to limit the temperature to the normal operating temperature. The wheel will not operate if the vehicle temperature is at or above 32?C (89.6?F).

Attachments

• heated steering.png
    heated steering.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 948
  • heated steering module.png
    heated steering module.png
    69 KB · Views: 937
Canuck-Avalanche said:
interesting was minus 29 C yesterday, wished my avy had a heated wheel lol.... ive got a 2009 LTZ fully loaded but couldnt find out how / if my truck has heated mirrors, see no button for it. They are LED turn and power fold.

Assuming your '09 is the same as my '07 the heated mirrors work when the rear window defrost button is pressed

Okay,
I put the 2012 Avalanche heated steering wheel in my 2011 Avalanche yesterday. Took about 2 hours taking my time so as not to scratch anything.  It looks just like the stock leather covered wheel but now has heat!
Parts needed:

- Column harness 25807858 (if on a tight budget, this is not needed, you just have to find power and ground
  elsewhere, but I like the look and  completeness of using this harness)
- SIR coil for heated wheel 25966964
- Heated wheel 20998064 (ebony color)

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information..

looking at www.gmpartsdirect.com as a typical source (there are other sources which may have better prices):

- Column harness 25807858 - $67
- SIR coil for heated wheel 25966964 - $72
- Heated wheel 20998064 (ebony color) - $185

2011avalanche said:
Okay,
I put the 2012 Avalanche heated steering wheel in my 2011 Avalanche yesterday. Took about 2 hours taking my time so as not to scratch anything.  It looks just like the stock leather covered wheel but now has heat!
Parts needed:

- Column harness 25807858 (if on a tight budget, this is not needed, you just have to find power and ground
  elsewhere, but I like the look and  completeness of using this harness)
- SIR coil for heated wheel 25966964
- Heated wheel 20998064 (ebony color)

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information..

how hard was this to do? ive had my airbag off twice and wheel tore apart adding the autowoods spokes. my 08 ltz would be complete with this heated wheel!! id love to do this. is switching out the harness easy? ALSO i dont see a new switch for the steering wheel listed in your parts list?? dont you need an all new left side steering whel control with the new button?? thanks for the help!

Actually, it was pretty easy.  The harness was just unplugging connections and then making the connection with the new harness.  With the column shroud and lower I/P panel off, you have full access to all the connections.  Deeper up in the I/P connections are harder to make, as my scratched arms can attest too!  The steering wheel that I call out is the complete wheel, leather wrapped wheel and all switches..

Well,
I can't post pictures yet...but I did upload them:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116686368031902135012/2011AvalancheHeatedSteeringWheel#

That's strange
Try this one.  When I went to the page it said something about the page location changed....

https://picasaweb.google.com/116686368031902135012/2011AvalancheHeatedSteeringWheel?authkey=Gv1sRgCPfKqtKNu7nCIQ

2011avalanche said:
That's strange
Try this one.  When I went to the page it said something about the page location changed....

https://picasaweb.google.com/116686368031902135012/2011AvalancheHeatedSteeringWheel?authkey=Gv1sRgCPfKqtKNu7nCIQ
Great job......who's going to be first to try to mod this onto a first generation avy?

wow awesome mod. so no going to gm to progrom the bcm? i just thought this would b cool but how offten does it get cold in nc :beating:

Canuck-Avalanche said:

I had the same question on my '07.  Found out that the heated mirrors only turn on when you select defrost on your heater controls.

Who Knew?  I finally found it in the that owner's manual  :laugh:

moosc said:
wow awesome mod. so no going to gm to progrom the bcm? i just thought this would b cool but how offten does it get cold in nc :beating:
No programming required, just install parts and go!  It takes about 20 seconds to heat up once the button is pushed.

Got mine in last night.  Real easy, just like 2011avalanche said.  It's a real clean install, and no one would ever know it's not factory.

It really adds a luxurious feel. Well worth the numerous scratches on my hands. Why is everything under there sharp?  :E:

Back