• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2012 Avy - Possible to turn on review mirror backup cam w/o spending $100s?

1Fastrider

SM 2009
I have a 2012 Avy w/o the NAV and I'd like to use the backup cam that displays on the mirror w/o having to be in reverser.  My small moto trailer is pretty much impossible to see since my avy is lifted.  The Lock pick boxes I've seen are $300+ which I don't want to spend for just this one feature.  Anyone have a suggestion on how to do this?

Toggle switch and a ground wire should do it. Itstopher or MS03 should be able to pull up a diagram.

I down think a switch is going to work.

Circuit/System Description

When the transmission is placed into REVERSE, a 12 V signal is sent to the inside rearview mirror and rearview camera indicating that camera operation is requested. Ignition voltage and ground are supplied to the rearview camera; the inside rearview mirror is supplied a common ignition voltage and ground source that is shared with other mirror operations. The rearview camera sends video information to the inside rearview mirror through a video signal + and a video signal - circuit. A grounded shielding also wraps the video signal circuits to reduce electronic interference which may degrade the video signal and cause a distorted or otherwise degraded image.

MS03 2500 said:
I down think a switch is going to work.

When the transmission is placed into REVERSE, a 12 V signal is sent to the inside rearview mirror and rearview camera indicating that camera operation is requested. Ignition voltage and ground are supplied to the rearview camera; the inside rearview mirror is supplied a common ignition voltage and ground source that is shared with other mirror operations. The rearview camera sends video information to the inside rearview mirror through a video signal + and a video signal - circuit. A grounded shielding also wraps the video signal circuits to reduce electronic interference which may degrade the video signal and cause a distorted or otherwise degraded image.

if this is correct, and it is not a 5v BCM bus signal being sent, then all that need to be done is to find the remote turn on wire at the mirror and the camera, and provide a inline 12v soruce (splice into them) to them for a constant on.. 

you may also wish to place a diode on that line to be sure the power is only traveling one direction and does not back feed to the BCM..

The GPS H/U works different and requires instruction from the vehicle bus to flip on the screen, hence the need for the lockpick, but if all the mirror is getting is a remote turn on signal from a 12v source, then all you need is to find which wire that 12v is being provided on..  Similar to the remote turn on wire for aftermarket amps..

Actually they both work the same and are BCM controlled

MS03 2500 said:
Actually they both work the same and are BCM controlled

that's not how I read your description above..  I tested the one in mine and the camera gets a 12v signal, but the GPS headunit only receives a 5v input signal, not having the mirror I really can't comment, I was just stating my opinion based off what you posted. 

If the BCM is sending a 12v to both the camera and the mirror, all that needs be done is to mimick that 12 volt signal from a constant power source without backfeeding to the BCM (hence the diode), the GPS unit requires a 5 volt signal which makes things a little more dicey, but is still possible.

I see what your are saying this is the discription for the Nav backup camera

When the transmission is placed into REVERSE, a 12 V signal is sent to the rearview camera indicating that camera operation is requested. Ignition voltage and ground are supplied to the rearview camera. The rearview camera sends video information to the radio through a video signal + and a video signal - circuit. A grounded shielding also wraps the video signal circuits to reduce electronic interference which may degrade the video signal and cause a distorted or otherwise degraded image.

But I think the headunit is seeing that the rear camera is on from it's video input and switches over

MS03 2500 said:
I see what your are saying this is the discription for the Nav backup camera

When the transmission is placed into REVERSE, a 12 V signal is sent to the rearview camera indicating that camera operation is requested. Ignition voltage and ground are supplied to the rearview camera. The rearview camera sends video information to the radio through a video signal + and a video signal - circuit. A grounded shielding also wraps the video signal circuits to reduce electronic interference which may degrade the video signal and cause a distorted or otherwise degraded image.

But I think the headunit is seeing that the rear camera is on from it's video input and switches over

yeah and that switch over is a 5v bus signal not a 12v remote signal, where the mirror is using a 12v remote turn on signal (as i stated, like a aftermarket amp) because technically the mirror is not a bus device, just a dummy device, where the GPS unit is a bus "module" with a brain and programming.

see the key in those descriptions is the Mirror and Camera both get the 12v signal, where in with the GPS only the camera gets the 12v, and once it is active it sends 5v to the GPS unit via the video +/- cable.

1Fastrider said:
When you smart guys who know about voltage figure this out could you post a "for dummies" version for me?  :D

if you are local to Socal or ever in the area, I'd be happy to help you with it..

I also know a lot of smart voltage guys around the country, if you are not Socal local I might be able to find one to help you out depending on where you are.

Here is the connection for the Camera

Rearview Camera (UVC or SPO Accessory Rear Vision Camera)
Pin     Wire       Circuit     Function

1       0.35 WH 7641       Camera Video Signal (+)

2        0.5 GY   6799        Drain Wire

3        0.5 D-BU  38         Reverse Signal

4        0.35 L-BU 7642    Camera Video Signal (-)

5        0.35 BK    2751    Ground

6        0.35 PK      239    Ignition Voltage

Attachments

• camera diagram.png
    camera diagram.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 274
Inside Rearview Mirror (ISRVM)

Pin           Wire           Circuit            Function

1       0.5 RD/WH        240                Battery Positive Voltage

2          --                      --                 Not Used

3        0.35 D-GN      5060                Low Speed GMLAN Serial Data

4           --                  --                    Not Used

5         0.35 GY        1690                 Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal (DL3 or DR4)

6         0.35 WH       7641                Camera Signal (+) (UVC without UVB)

0.35 WH       7641                Not Used (without UVC or with UVC and UVB)

7        0.35 D-BU      7642                Camera Signal (-) (UVC without UVB)

0.35 D-BU      7642               Not Used (without UVC or with UVC and UVB)

8         0.5 BK          1050                Ground

9        0.35 D-BU       38                  Backup Lamp Control

10         --                 --                  Not Used

11     0.35 D-GN/WH 2514            Keypad Signal (UE1)

12     0.35 L-GN/BK   2515            Keypad Control (UE1)

13      0.35 PK          1639              Ignition Voltage

14      0.35 YE/BK     2516              Keypad Green LED Signal (UE1)

15    0.35 BN/WH     2517              Keypad Red LED Signal (UE1)

16      0.35 PK          1691              Low Reference (DL3 or DR4)

Attachments

• camera mirror.png
    camera mirror.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 267
old-chevy-dude said:
if you are local to Socal or ever in the area, I'd be happy to help you with it..

I also know a lot of smart voltage guys around the country, if you are not Socal local I might be able to find one to help you out depending on where you are.
SoCal is a big place but I am in Huntington Beach so if you're available some weekend maybe I can trade ya lunch for some of your time.

1Fastrider said:
Is that code for no?  :)

Yes. But if installed a Nav it's possible. But the Best thing is to install a cheapy backup cam and small display.

1Fastrider said:
SoCal is a big place but I am in Huntington Beach so if you're available some weekend maybe I can trade ya lunch for some of your time.

I live in Downey, about 30 miles northwest of HB, and Dellilo is my Dealership... 

1Fastrider said:
That's where I got my Avy.  Great service there and conveniently only a few miles from home.

no so convenient for me, however I used to live in HB, and I have purchased 6 vehicles from Delillo in 20 years because of the service, I don't mine the drive, Jerry Wright, Bill Smith and his son Darren are great service advisors and Mark Peeler is a great Service Manager.

I just purchased a 2012 Avalanche. I just upgrade from standard radio to a Denso factory nav HU. I want to send the camera video t the nav screen. I  am trying to find a source for the video +/- signals from the rear camera.I found the control wires in the main circuit distribution block next to the brake pedal but can't find the wire routing for the video. I've seen references to a box under the pasenger seat. Where are the connectors that MS03 2500 showed us in his informative posting. Also the link to the circuit seems to be broken. Is it possible to find this information elsewhere?

Smitch42 that was not a link it's just Blue print, the control box is under the driver seat. There is no easy way to do this except to run a new wire to the Nav.

Thanks for the response and help. Are the either of the 2 connectors you listed connected to the box? It would be easy to run a coax cable to the box if the connector is on the box.

I have been trying to get under the drivers seat to hard wire the NAV to the camera feed you mentioned. I am tryint to remove the knob for the lumbar support and the seat backrest handle. I tried pulling the knob with plastic removal toos but I am afraid I will break them off. Is the a special way to remove them without damaging the plastic?

Back