• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

LTZ Autoride

DonZ28

08 LTZ - rattling sounds but no error codes - may need to replace front left strut - thinking to replace right also since I'm at 135K km. Has anyone used Arnott  components or provide alternate to dealer.  Thanks  :help:

Just a word to the wise - those shocks referenced in that thread eliminate the factory electronic ride control. They include devices that fool the computer into thinking that the shocks are responding to its commands.

From the site: " Includes sensors to plug into the auto dampening control unit to eliminate any error messages on your dash."

Mine are leaking, too, and I'm going to fork out the $$ for factory shocks - I like things to work they way the engineers intended. The electronic ride control changes the shock damping hundreds of times per second based on a variety of factors.

Good eye TJ, I did not see that earlier. I cancelled my order with Arnott. Ordered a new shock at a dealer, $330 each.

Goodwrench/02 said:
Good eye TJ, I did not see that earlier. I cancelled my order with Arnott. Ordered a new shock at a dealer, $330 each.

That's a decent deal. They're $300 each shipped from GMPARTSDIRECT. I support my local dealers when there's not a huge difference in price. I can live with 10%.

turbojimmy said:
That's a decent deal. They're $300 each shipped from GMPARTSDIRECT. I support my local dealers when there's not a huge difference in price. I can live with 10%.

Thanks for the advice - what is the SKU to reference for the replacement struts

DonZ28 said:
Thanks for the advice - what is the SKU to reference for the replacement struts

There are a lot of different options so you'd need to provide them your VIN. I gave them mine for my '07 LTZ and got this back:

20810269 Front Shock Absorber - 2 required per VIN

My front left shock was also leaking on my '07 AV LTZ. I wasn't sure what replacement part to go with but I'm glad to see a honest answer here. I will probably have to fork out the $300+ for each shock to retain the original function of the suspension.

Any idea if a DIY'r can remove the shock/spring assembly all together and have a shop compress the springs, dismantle assembly, and re-assemble with the new shock, then I slide the assemblies back in? Or should I just have a shop do all the work? I just don't like to deal with spring compressors, the rest of the swap seems straight forward.....

Any input is appreciated  (y). Thanks.

blu_fuz,

it can be done by yourself, but it is WAY easier to get it up on a rack. I did it at a friends garage on his lift, removed the entire assembly,
then took the assembly to a shop to remove the old damper and install the new one. Lining up the fasteners in the holes is a bit tricky,
but after a little persuasion it agreed to go back home. BTW, this does not affect alignment.

Good luck!

I did mine myself and did it on Jack stands, I agree it would be better on lift but not an impossible job on stands. I did it all myself I rented a spring compressor from the parts store, half way through I thought about taking it and having it done but I was already into it so I finished.

I also was sold part 20810269 from shopgmparts.com

Thanks for the tips guys.

Searching the part # 20810269 is kicking back part number 580-372. What is that 580 number and what does it have to do with the 20810269?

I just want to make sure I am getting the right parts. Cheapest 20810269 I found was about $240 with free shipping but the shock looks black and my shock is orange. Does that matter or are all the replacements going to be black?

The different p/n might be a Delco vs. GM part number. The color shouldn't matter as long as you're sure you're getting the right part. The shocks do vary depending on how the truck is optioned, so I'd send the VIN to gmpartsdirect or your favorite source of GM parts to make sure you get the correct shocks.

Take a peek on Rockauto.com before you buy some. They aren't always cheap buy they are sometimes. I hope mine holds out for a long time at those prices lol

Ordered the ACdelco 580-372 from Amazon. With no discount code the price is about $238 pr shock.

I was seriously considering the Arnott/Bilstein setup that was $429 for the pair with the dummy plugs for autoride, but to have a OEM shock that works as the truck was designed for with the Autoride for less than $40 more it just made sense to go with OEM.

I did price out a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks at autozone for $137 each, but again, those don't use the Autoride system and they don't include the computer "dummy" connectors to clear the error code on the dash.....

I'll let you guys know how the swap went  :cool:

I installed the Arnott/Bilstein air shocks and air compressor kit right after I bought my EXT back in April.

I bought them at Advance Auto Parts.

The rear shock kit included both rear shocks and the sensor plugins and the cost was $368.98.

The air compressor was $223.99.

Advance had a sale at the time that discounted the entire purchase $50.00 if purchased on-line.

So I purchased on-line and drove right over to my local store and picked them up.

I would of had to do that anyway so basically they just paid me $50.00 for not having to talk to the guy at the counter and have him look up the parts for me.

Then they sent me a $50.00 discount coupon for my next on-line order.

The auto-ride still works as before and when the shocks first filled up with air it raised the rear of the truck a full 1 inch from where it had been riding with the blown out OEM shocks.

I am very pleased and I will never go back to OEM.

What a piece of cake it is to change out the front shocks. 3 nuts on the strut tower, 2 bolts on the lower control arm, unclip the autoride sensor, and push that strut off the control arm.

I took my shock assembly to a local shop to have them swap the old parts onto the new shock. I'll pick that up later today. I can't wait to feel how she rides after it's done.

The ride is much better even with just one new shock. So easy to change out that I did it in my regular clothes and didn't get a single stain!  :D

OEM was the way to go and HOPEFULLY I can get another 100k miles out of these shocks.  :B:

ok why did you replace these shocks? noisy? rough riding? let me know, my 07 ltz has a thumping noise in the rear and i wonder if this is it like one guy answered me that it might be.
thanks
goat

As of now I replaced the front drivers side shock because it leaked and I could feel that wheel bouncing around a bit and hear some suspension noise. Also getting funky tire wear on that corner. Found out that the shock shaft was seperated from the shock and wasn't working at all.

Passenger front shock seems to be ok, and I'm not sure if my autoride air is working on the rears..... I need to investigate some more on that.

well i took off my rear wheels tonite and looked at the shocks, the rubber looks well worn and there is even a few cuts or slots in the rubber boots. does this mean they are bad? also are they maybe the reason for my noise in the rear end? i have ckd the u joints and rear end flukid and all is good & tight, so i am kinda at a loss and this is an expensive repair if not needed ! thanks for any answers
goat

My first clue was the "Service Ride Control" message in the DIC.

I put the truck up on a lift and found these shocks:

BlownAirShock1.jpg

BlownAirShock2.jpg

The air bladders were long-since blown and the air pump was burned out.

I did not hear any unusual noises from the rear and the truck seemed to ride just fine other that the error message in the DIC.

When I had the Arnott air shocks and pump installed, the truck raised up a full inch in the rear when the shocks first filled with air.

The Arnott kit comes with a set of modules that plug into the trucks computer system to fool the computer into thinking the magnetic part of the shocks still exists.

So that part of the ride control no longer exists but you no longer get a Service Ride Control message in the DIC either.

The auto-level part of the ride control works normally and will add and release air in the air shocks as needed.

The Bilstein shocks work really well and I do not even miss the mag part of the old shocks.

I will be replacing the front mag shocks with the Arnott replacement kit in the near future since the old front shocks are getting pretty bouncy right now.

I am very happy with my Arnott/Bilsteins and I am glad I didn't spend the extra dough on the OEM's.

I didn't have the service message for the bad shock in the front that I replaced  (n) :beating:. With how bad it was working I am suprised there was no message.....

I will be getting some kind of helper bag for the rear suspension, or I am liking the Arnott kit you are talking about. Seems like a decent setup for the rear. I guess because I don't know anything about the aftermarket setups, I was afraid to lose what comforts the OEM Autoride system is supposed to give.

Does the Arnott compressor install where the OEM compressor/harness is or does it need it's own power supply and mounting area?

Thanks for the info!  (y)

Looks like the Arnott setup is $369 + $50 core = $419 + shipping.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CHEVROLET_yid11_pid170_gid664.html

The compressor is no longer available but was $185.27 + shipping.
You can get the Arnott brand or OEM on epay starting at $188 and free shipping, which isn't bad.

I am pretty sure that if my rear air shocks are bad that my compressor is probably burned out too. I havn't heard the compressor run, ever so I assume it's bad.

Just to compare:
OEM rear auto ride shocks 580-359 (I am assuming this is the correct rear shock part number. I don't know 100% but it is the most expensive of the rear autoride shocks so this would be a worst senario price) are $235.55 EA with free shipping or $471 total for both.
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-580-359-Leveling-Absorber-Assembly/dp/B001SGYQ1Y/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_15684181_a1_1_p

It's your call. Honestly to get the correct OEM shock that works as the system was designed for less than $50 more than the Arnott kit, I am going to stick with OEM.

The Arnott air compressor is designed to fit in the same location as the stock unit and it comes with an air dryer rebuild kit included, as well.

The prices at the Arnott website are higher than you will pay at Advance Auto with AA's online ordering discounts and sometimes an added $50.00 gift card for your next order.

My local AA had the rear shocks and air compressor in stock when I bought mine.

I ordered online, drove over and picked them up for a cool $50.00 savings.

Then they emailed me a $50.00 gift code for my next order.

I was in there yesterday and had the counter guy look up the front shock kit.

They were not in stock but he could have them there the very next morning if I wanted them.

I will most likely just order online using their discounts and have them shipped for free.

AA show the rear shock kit for my truck at $368.00 with NO CORE CHARGE before any discounts.

The air pump kit is $223.99 before discounts.

Free shipping for orders over $75.00.

I just got an email from AA with a discount code for 20% off "nearly everything" on orders placed before September 1, 2012.

PM me for the code if you want to see if it will work for you, as well.

I will probably go ahead and order my front kit now if the discount applies to them.

I assume you also saw where Arnott offers a Lifetime Warranty and a 90-day money back satisfaction guarantee.

I don't think you can get that from GM.

Something to consider.

Thanks for the info EXT4ME.
My compressor has been sounding progressively worse over the last few months, going from sounds like a gerbil on an exercise wheel, to sounding like marbles being crushed in a meat grinder!!!  (n)

Back