• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stolen Tailgate...

Lol that lock does nothing to stop a thief.. I believe you can pry up one side of our tailgates and get in relatively easily..

Mike - get a plastic tailgate from an 06 - they are lightweight and cheap i bet.. best of all - no need for a torsion bar mod

Yup, it was locked but I bought my truck in 07 without cover but its got hard cover mounts. I looked at the taillights where they meet the tailgate and right above where the tailgate latches, there are marks where they pried in between the gate and lights in the same spot on both sides. Im thinking your right on that GB. Are the wbh and claddy tailgates interchangeable?

WTH do you do with a tailgate and not the truck?

That sucks man. I had one stolen of my 91 f150 years ago. I couldn't believe someone would actually steal a tailgate. (n)

we_fly_high said:
I can see the easy money part, these avy tailgates aren't cheap whatsoever!

Maby the person that jacked your tail gate will sell it back to you at a good price.  But seriously that sucks I hope they catch them.

Called about 23 salvage yards today and noone here buy tailgates anymore... The First place I called said a guy tried to sell hime one a while back and the owner took the name and phone number down, someone called looking for there tailgate and it was the same one. Just so happens, the guy trying to sell the first one wanted to sell a second one a few days later to the same yard so they had the cops and vics waiting for the guy to show up. Im hoping this happens, though I have very good friends in the department and would like to score some alone time with the guy... At first I played it off like I was just looking for an avy tailgate and after they told me they didnt have any, I explained why I called. Most of them have my number and will call if someone tries to sell an avy tailgate to them!

I forgot about carparts, checked today and i will call the places that come up tomarrow. One shop has a silver(could be tan/pewter) with painted moldings. Mine was painted satin black so im wondering if theres is painted to match or black, hmmm. I've been checking craiglist twice a day, someone will have a very unlucky day if I find mine!!!

Here's a pad lock to prevent the tailgate from being removed... I'm ordering one....

http://www.wheelskin.com/lh-090.html

we_fly_high said:
Oklahoma City, there's a few for around 250 with some damage but ill have to hold off for a little while. Thanks randy, that's awesome! Think we need one on each side?

You only need one on the side where your "cup" is cut so you can take off the tailgate.

Back