Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 16  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 Avalanche owner! These things are fantastic!  (Read 152269 times)

wyotonka

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • WyoTonka
Re: 2007 Avalanche owner! These things are fantastic!
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2014, 15:22:49 PM »

From what I have heard lowering will give you a much more comfortable body roll when cornering  :B:

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Cat Dancer

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • Well Stanley, This is Another Fine Mess!
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2014, 17:39:25 PM »

Please; Everyone put on your fun glasses for this reply:

From what I have discerned lately and from meeting many of our wonderful members, contributors, and being in the later in life category too,  more than a few of our brethren could benefit from using our abdominal muscles while turning sharply. I suspect our Avalanches are possibly near too close to the late 90's Sedan de Ville touring comfort and we may be losing our evolutionary DNA to tolerate a ride as it is supposed to feel like.

Remember when we all liked a Stiff Ride and thought it was supposed to be that way?  :o
2K03 LPM Z71 5/03 - 4/10
The True Essence of Understatement

2K10 Z71
Not Sperry τΏτ Driven, Sperry τΏτ Approval Pending

2K13 Black Diamond, Chair Lift Edition , Black Of Course!

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2014, 03:18:03 AM »

Please; Everyone put on your fun glasses for this reply:

From what I have discerned lately and from meeting many of our wonderful members, contributors, and being in the later in life category too,  more than a few of our brethren could benefit from using our abdominal muscles while turning sharply. I suspect our Avalanches are possibly near too close to the late 90's Sedan de Ville touring comfort and we may be losing our evolutionary DNA to tolerate a ride as it is supposed to feel like.

Remember when we all liked a Stiff Ride and thought it was supposed to be that way?  :o

While this comment certainly has it's merits, I find myself perfectly content cruising in the left lane, five clicks under the speed limit, left turn signal flashing, all the while not spilling a drop of my large, filled to the brim coffee I have placed on top of my dash.
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

09chevyavy

• Building my first dream AV, someday Ill get more
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:32 AM »

I agree, thats just not what the avalanche is made for. It wasnt made to be a track car. Thats why it was put on the suburban chassis and frame- for the smooth ride.

If I wanted a track car I would go out and buy and then build a mazda miata mx-5 for a true track car and then haul that sucker on a trailer pulled by my avalanche
Owner and operator of Deep South Performance
2009 AV LT
Check out build here: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144942.0.html

blu_fuz

« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »

I'm trying to keep the truck as useful as I can as a "truck" but add a little flare to make it different. The stiffer ride isn't a real big concern, but it would be nice to eliminate the center of gravity a bit and bring the body roll down too. Again, I'm not making a low rider, 5/7 drop, notched frame, etc.... I just don't want to raise the truck UP, when that style of truck is everywhere here and no one gos off road with lifted trucks.

Either way, all the mods are reversible and maybe with age I will go back to a stock setup. You only live once, so I'm ready and willing to try it!  :thumbsup: :cool: :A:

I was going to mount the wheels, but we just got snow again yesterday and it is only 30* again  :E:. Tired of this wintery bull crap  :9:.

On our last warm and sunny day, I popped the rear window out to be thanked with this lovely crack  :E: :beating:. Damn it. This brutal winter just took its toll on that plastic. Truck has almost 150k miles and it was OK until now. Oh well.

Bruizza

• Charge Harder
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »

I agree, thats just not what the avalanche is made for. It wasnt made to be a track car. Thats why it was put on the suburban chassis and frame- for the smooth ride.

If I wanted a track car I would go out and buy and then build a mazda miata mx-5 for a true track car and then haul that sucker on a trailer pulled by my avalanche

I will tow my boat thousands of miles this summer with my avalanche lowered and with 26" rims.  Because my truck will be lowered and on big rims that means it won't be used like a truck???  I will haul all kinds of stuff for the yard we will be putting in our new house the whole time it will be lowered and on 26s.  Does this make it less of a truck???  When I haul all kinds of furniture to the new house in my lowered avalanche on 26s will that somehow make it less of a truck because it isn't stock height?  Does somehow jacking it up 10" and putting 38" tires on it make it more of a truck?  If I take my truck off the pavement (which I will many times this summer while at the lake) does it make it less of a truck because it is lowered and on 26s?  Since the avalanche is the "most versatile" vehicle ever made does that mean me/anyone customizing it how they want it makes it less of a truck?  Is a 2wd truck less of a truck than a 4wd? 
Current: 2011 LTZ 4WD black on black with 26" Black with machine face Dub skillZ wheel.  Black grille.  Spectre CAI, Gibson Shorty Headers, Gibson catback exhaust, belltech 2/3 drop, Matte Metallic Dark Grey wrap with orange logos, Black Brushed Steel wrapped interior pieces, 4 kicker comp r 10s in a midgate box, ppi 7000.1 amp, Pioneer 4000nex HU, JL audio components/door speakers, tint, LEDs

Sold 05 Z-71, Spectre CAI, 2 10s under the back seat, DVD HU, Xbox 360, 24" Big Papi rims

Arvada CO

09chevyavy

« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »

I will tow my boat thousands of miles this summer with my avalanche lowered and with 26" rims.  Because my truck will be lowered and on big rims that means it won't be used like a truck???  I will haul all kinds of stuff for the yard we will be putting in our new house the whole time it will be lowered and on 26s.  Does this make it less of a truck???  When I haul all kinds of furniture to the new house in my lowered avalanche on 26s will that somehow make it less of a truck because it isn't stock height?  Does somehow jacking it up 10" and putting 38" tires on it make it more of a truck?  If I take my truck off the pavement (which I will many times this summer while at the lake) does it make it less of a truck because it is lowered and on 26s?  Since the avalanche is the "most versatile" vehicle ever made does that mean me/anyone customizing it how they want it makes it less of a truck?  Is a 2wd truck less of a truck than a 4wd? 

I never said that. I am just talking about the rough ride and tight suspension. Its still just as much of a truck. Personally I am not a lowered guy. I just dont like it. To me it is unpractical. I want to be able to take my AV off the pavement and get where I need to go. It doesnt make it less of a truck to lower it. I just feel its unpratical.
2009 AV LT
Check out build here: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144942.0.html

blu_fuz

« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »

I think anything other than stock ride height is unpractical  :laugh:.

We all desire different things. There pro's and con's to going lowered OR lifted.

This debate will go on until the end of man kind!  :4:

Lowered or lifted, I like to see mods done and each owners personal touch.  :A: :B:

Bruizza & 09chevyavy, I think we need to take 1 AV with a mild drop and 1 AV with a mild lift and put them through the same tests. Off road, on road, towing, etc and see what the outcome is.

Blackcomb

« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »

Hey Fuz, I think were on the same page with the truck and I am looking forward to your input on yours when its done. I am in the thought of the 2.5 lower in the back to level the ride out (mainly for looks) and take away some body roll when cornering. When my brother and I lowered his first Tahoe it did add a slight feel of a lighter steering wheel, so I would imagine the AV would feel similar. My main concern is the smooth highway feel and ability to soak up the bumps in the road, I dont want a rattling interior because the back stiffened up to much because of the lower, lol
2008 Avalanche
2006 Grand Prix GXP (SOLD)
2008 Impala SS (SOLD)
2015 Cadillac CTS

09chevyavy

« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »

I think anything other than stock ride height is unpractical  :laugh:.

We all desire different things. There pro's and con's to going lowered OR lifted.

This debate will go on until the end of man kind!  :4:

Lowered or lifted, I like to see mods done and each owners personal touch.  :A: :B:

Bruizza & 09chevyavy, I think we need to take 1 AV with a mild drop and 1 AV with a mild lift and put them through the same tests. Off road, on road, towing, etc and see what the outcome is.

I agree with you there. It would be a neat test to be a part of. It also depends on which mods have been done. Like even though I want to eventually go bigger I still want to get much bigger sway bars and maybe have some custom made so that I can keep the body roll down as much as I can
2009 AV LT

blu_fuz

« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2014, 06:20:31 AM »

Mounted them up on Saturday. Looks a little strange with the truck at stock ride height. Can't wait to see it lowered.

blu_fuz

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2014, 07:59:30 AM »

I had one of the inner lip clamp-on wheel weights fling off on my way to work on Monday  :E: so the shop is picking it up on Thursday do try again.  :9:

The ride is noticeably more rough from the low profile tires. There is some tracking (pulling with road ruts) that wasn't there before because of the tire stiffness and 10" tire width. With the autoride suspension, the ride is still softer than a normal crew cab truck, so no complaints.

Blackcomb

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2014, 15:14:50 PM »

That with will ride the ruts that's for sure, I had 14.5" wide on my last truck and those baby's would walk the ruts at stop signs pretty bad.
2008 Avalanche
2008 Impala SS (SOLD)
2015 Cadillac CTS

blu_fuz

« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »

Built my TPMS canister last night  :thumbsup:.

The right tube is to program new sensors one at a time for each corner. The left tube is for the pre programmed sensors to seal tight, pressurize, and leave in the truck so the computer reads the 4 sensors pressure. No more tire pressure light  :4:

MLM

• CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2014, 07:23:18 AM »

Built my TPMS canister last night  :thumbsup:.

The right tube is to program new sensors one at a time for each corner. The left tube is for the pre programmed sensors to seal tight, pressurize, and leave in the truck so the computer reads the 4 sensors pressure. No more tire pressure light  :4:

So two questions 1) I've heard the PVC canisters can explode and 2) don't the sensors go to sleep if they are not spinning?
Current rides:
2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum, Majestic Plum Metallic.
2012 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, manual, 3.55 axle
2000 Bonneville SSEi, Midnight Blue

Former Chevy rigs:
2013 Black Diamond Avalanche LTZ, Blue Topaz
2008 Avalanche 3LT Z71, Black
2004 Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH, Silver Birch (March '04 - April '10, 68,000 miles)
1999 Tahoe LT 2-Door 4x4 Z71, Blue over Silver (June '98 - May '04)
1992 K-Blazer Silverado 2-Door 4x4 Z71, Teal over Pewter (July '92 - June '98)

blu_fuz

« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »

Not sure how the canister can be compromised enough to explode, but I'm sure it happens. My canister it tucked away in the deep area of the saddle bag. Nothing will hit it, probably the safest spot for it.

There is a video on youtube where someone is testing the strength of a pressurized PVC canister and it is almost impossible to make it explode.

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVO4_hUvFsc

No, the sensors do not need to be spinning to transmit the pressure.

There is a transmitted frequency between the BCM and the sensors. Kind of like walkie talkies where it is in 'sleep mode' until the signal is sent. The sensor batteries are pro rated for 5-7 years.

Blackcomb

« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2014, 05:36:46 AM »

Did you get it lowered yet Fuz, and if so hows the ride now?
2008 Avalanche
2008 Impala SS (SOLD)
2015 Cadillac CTS

AVinSbyCt

« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2014, 05:54:28 AM »

Why the canister? Are the sensors not connecting to the computer? I had the same problem with my new wheels. It finally worked when we flashed them before sealing the bead. It seems the thicker rim was blocking the signal from the handheld. It's all good now. I agree that warning on the dash will drive you nuts!
'12 LT All Star Edition 4X4 Steel Gray Metallic/Ebony Leather Interior with power sunroof, K&N drop in filter, WeatherTech floor liners, Molded splash guards, Mag Lite Mod, Color Matched Bowties, Color Matched Bugflector II, WeatherTech in channel side window deflectors, Front Windows tinted, Autowoods console trim, Chrome tow hooks, Fuel Throttle 20x9; Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 55 20, Corsa cat back sport exhaust, GM stainless door sills, GM Avalanche license plate frame, BedRug

blu_fuz

« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »

No, I didn't lower it yet because I wanted to figure out why I am still having autoride issues.

The canister is so I can leave the sensors in the PVC reading that pressure. Then I can swap wheels or rotate them any time and not worry about what sensors are in which wheels or if it is reading correctly. I've never needed a TPMS before, so why start now. Cars are getting smarter so drivers are getting dumber.

blu_fuz

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2014, 06:10:05 AM »

2) don't the sensors go to sleep if they are not spinning?

This is kind of funny...... I didn't read anywhere that the sensors need to be spinning to transmit to the computer, and everything has been fine for the last 4+ days.

I went on a road trip yesterday and my tire pressure light came on  :E:. I thought 'no freakin way I lost pressure in the canister'. I pushed the button for tire pressure info and there were just -- lines instead of it reading 0/1psi.

Great, the canister didn't leak but I lost signal to the sensors  :beating:. I got out of the truck and shook the canister and the sensors started reading again, but for only about 15 minutes until each one started to drop signal again.

This sucks.

blu_fuz

« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2014, 13:41:20 PM »

Finally a quick pic that is good enough so I can change my avatar  :thumbsup:.

I have been wanting to install my 2/3 drop but other repairs keep coming up that I need to focus on. Right now is a clanking rear suspension over bumps. Can't figure out what is causing it :mad:.

Bruizza

• Charge Harder
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2014, 15:01:54 PM »

Dang Blu Fuz I figured you had it dropped by now.  Hopefully you can get it done soon!
Current: 2011 LTZ 4WD black on black with 26" Black with machine face Dub skillZ wheel.  Black grille.  Spectre CAI, Gibson Shorty Headers, Gibson catback exhaust, belltech 2/3 drop, Matte Metallic Dark Grey wrap with orange logos, Black Brushed Steel wrapped interior pieces, 4 kicker comp r 10s in a midgate box, ppi 7000.1 amp, Pioneer 4000nex HU, JL audio components/door speakers, tint, LEDs

Sold 05 Z-71, Spectre CAI, 2 10s under the back seat, DVD HU, Xbox 360, 24" Big Papi rims

Arvada CO

Blackcomb

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2014, 15:23:48 PM »

Do the drop, you'll more than likely find the clanker when you take off the suspension components.
2008 Avalanche
2008 Impala SS (SOLD)
2015 Cadillac CTS

wyotonka

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • WyoTonka
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »

hey, thought of your avy the  other day... I'm pretty sure the truck I was loading was Bermuda blue

he said they have 2 this color and both are fairly new

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

blu_fuz

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2014, 11:07:46 AM »

Hahaha, excellent. That looks pretty close.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 16  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 24 queries.