• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Corrosion on bed cover panels

AvalancheTraxx

What up everybody. New to the site. I've got corrosion issues on one panel. It made the hinge so tight I could barely release the panel. I cant get it back on. Trying to load a pic. Anyone kno how to stop this and prevent it from happening again?

PS
I could also use some help posting the pic lol I click insert image and I get
and thats it???

Since you have a small amount of posts you will not be able to upload images at the moment, I used Photobucket.com and insert the image tags in the posts, works perfect.

You may want to try PB blaster on the hinge, but I suspect you have a water leak that you may want to fix.

Latches are made from aluminum and they corroded... I have one that did this...

It is a SALT like corrosion but issue is it expands when corroding so it binds up the latch..

I beat it with a rubber mallet to get cover off..

then wire brushed it, sprayed it with all sorts of crap...
tried to take it apart...

un bolted it... you name it I tried and still a PIA to turn... so I leave it at about 45 degrees which is enough to install it and depend on other latch to really hold cover down.

ygmn said:
Latches are made from aluminum and they corroded... I have one that did this...

It is a SALT like corrosion but issue is it expands when corroding so it binds up the latch..

I beat it with a rubber mallet to get cover off..

then wire brushed it, sprayed it with all sorts of crap...
tried to take it apart...

un bolted it... you name it I tried and still a PIA to turn... so I leave it at about 45 degrees which is enough to install it and depend on other latch to really hold cover down.
Just discovered the same thing today on panel #2. Both latches are severly corroded, paint just flaked off the latch when I tried to clean/lube it. One of them is so bad that I had to knock it unlocked w/ a rubber mallet and then can't get it to close again. Took both of them off the panel to clean one one of the bolts snapped off as I was backign it on.

#1 and #3 are just fine and clean as a whistle. Why only #2? No leaks, bed was completely dry inside and under the panels when I took the covers off and it was raining all night.

Anyone have the P/N for the latches? I can't find them on the Chevy site. One is so bad that I can't get it apart to clean it.

YEah tried to fix mine today on panel 1.
The heads of bolts snapped off had to drill it out.

Got it off...
Beat it, hit it, lubed it brushed it tried everything to get it to loosen up and could not.

on the back I even tried to remove the large Phillips shaft end... nope corroded so bad it will break.

I could not back out broken screws as they kept breaking so I left what I had and beat on handle until in open position and then used epoxy to glue it back in...

I need a new panel or I have to drill out broken bolts then drill thru cover for new bolts and add nuts if I can find new handle bracket thingy...

Piss Poor material choice and cover design IMO..

mine were full of water....
All handles were salty and loosiing paint... just real crappy..

Might be cool to make some from Mahagony wood like on a boat... little varnish... I dunno....

Old school materials last longer.

ygmn said:
YEah tried to fix mine today on panel 1.
The heads of bolts snapped off had to drill it out.

Got it off...
Beat it, hit it, lubed it brushed it tried everything to get it to loosen up and could not.

on the back I even tried to remove the large Phillips shaft end... nope corroded so bad it will break.

I could not back out broken screws as they kept breaking so I left what I had and beat on handle until in open position and then used epoxy to glue it back in...

I need a new panel or I have to drill out broken bolts then drill thru cover for new bolts and add nuts if I can find new handle bracket thingy...

Piss Poor material choice and cover design IMO..

mine were full of water....
All handles were salty and loosiing paint... just real crappy..

Might be cool to make some from Mahagony wood like on a boat... little varnish... I dunno....

Old school materials last longer.
Don't forget your avy IS 10 years old now and you live in a salt water/air environment.

That might explain some of them, but not all of them. I DON'T live in a salt-air environment, never have. Age of the truck is irrelevant when the bed is bone dry despite continuous rain. The corrosion is caused by something else related to the parts being cast aluminum. What confuses me is that only 1 of 3 panels had this happen. I could understand if all 3 of them had it happen, but only #2?

ohiobellboy said:
Don't forget your avy IS 10 years old now and you live in a salt water/air environment.
not really salty air say like Miami...

age yeah, but this is been jammed for over 5 years now... I just used hammer to beat handle to position I needed...

My guess would be condensation due to being exposed to different temperature extremes in addition to any air or road salts then you also have cleaning detergents leaking down and drying things out.
Age I'm sure plays a part a part too. Then you have the problem that most boat owners are aware of in that you need to do lots of maintenance to keep things working. Bronze, brass or stainless steel may be better but we all know that would add it weight and expense.
My .02 but maybe the latches should be part of a periodic maintenance program and treated with something like Break Free CLP used on guns to keep lubricated and corrosion free (Not WD-40 as some might want to use.)?
And from what I have read here the spare tire hoist system should be added to the periodic maintenance schedule too. I believe the manual talks about that but most owners ignore the maintenance until they have a problem. I am guilty of that one myself.

THis is not maintenance issues 7 out of 8 are perfect...

this one does not work... handle is stuck and yo have to beat on it with hammer..

it is a material choice issue as too many different metals cause corrosion...

Okay... bought to salvaged lock/levers off ebay and the seller was gracious enough to send them w/ the factory screws. After I replaced the corroded one, had the thought to try battery terminal spray cleaner on one of the stuck ones. After it sat for a few minutes w/ the acid neutralizing foam on it, it began to work again. Other one remained stuck so bad it won't turn.

The powdery white corrosion is typical of aluminum. I will fathom to guess the the quality control process during manufacturing the  handles are the main issue...

Taking the latch apart, cleaning off the corrosion with a wire brush, wash with viniager to neutralize the corrosion , let dry, then repaint.

No, not an engineer.. :laugh:. Merely a toolmaker/machinist :cool:

Mine is frozen on the #2 panel, drivers side.  The rest of them work like butter.  Looking on ebay people are pretty proud of them asking $45 minimum.  Can get them new from chevy for around $57.00

Part numbers..

Bed Panel Latch leftpanel #1 (2), panels 2 and 3 (1)20896447
Bed Panel Right rightpanel #1 (2), panels 2 and 3 (1)88938466

avalanche bed cover latch | eBay

Are the panels two pieces and is there a way to get inside? This one locked up and of course the skinny bolts broke.
NO.

THe panels have a aluminum honeycomb matrix interior and the plastic on the outside is formed over it and fused together.

Not much you can do other then drilling that puppy all the way thru and use a bolt and bunch of silicone sealant.

Good to know, I pulled the seals and couldn't see any seams. So proceeded to drill out the broken pieces and now have them taped for good old 1/4 x 20. I've worked enough solvent and oil into the latch that it works fine now. Ready to cut some bolts and re-assemble. Thanks!

Good to know, I pulled the seals and couldn't see any seams. So proceeded to drill out the broken pieces and now have them taped for good old 1/4 x 20. I've worked enough solvent and oil into the latch that it works fine now. Ready to cut some bolts and re-assemble. Thanks!
now that you've solved the problem, do you make knives? I just noticed your username, damascus steel blades look awesome.

Hi BainMan, Actually the AV is my retirement truck. I have made a lot of damascus steel for others to make knives with for a lot of years. It worked well because I never had the patience for fit and finish. Some people can grind a killer blade and do jewelry grade work finishing but don't have a shop with power hammers and things for heavy forging. I don't want to put a link that might be seen as self promotional here even being retired but my website is still up. If you google "matt walker damascus" you can't miss it. Lots of beautiful blades others have made from my steel. A friend in Canada made one that was on the cover of Knives 2007. I was pretty proud of that and of an article published in Knives Illustrated some years back on making damascus. If you find the site don't miss the "Visit my Studio" page.

These days I'm more interested in trout fishing. I live 0.5 miles from a boat ramp on one of the top trout fisheries in the Eastern US (South Holston River). The AV is meant to pull my jet boat.

Last edited:
Good thread for a common problem! My thought has always been that the metal was alum alloy and the condensation from the water running through the gutters just a few inches away and condensation from temp changes etc was causing the alloy metals in the mixture to corrode since the alum shouldn't? The humidity/moisture level in the bed area likely stays pretty high after rain. Even if you've never seen or seen very little water on the bed mat, my understanding is that it's pretty much always getting through the seams and then routed to the drain areas.

Also, I wouldn't fear drilling through the panels. I've had a Reese cargo basket mounted on mine for years. Used a (small)dab of Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive under rubber washers under grade 8 washers with grade 8 nuts and bolts and it's never leaked a drop....and we sleep in there on an air mattress camping 6-8 weekends a season

I took mine off and soaked in vinegar, wore brushed, and coated with POR15. They came out good, but I couldn’t replace the rusted rollers on the bed brackets. I have Sea Doos, so I used their SeaDoo Lube spray, it eats corrosion, lubes and protects and is plastic/rubber safe. Try that for protection.

Back