• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best performance mods for the money

Bucks79

Hello all,

First let me apologize if I break any unwritten forum rules with improper forum etiquette. I've never joined a forum and this is obviously my first forum post. ???
I'd like to preface my questions with: I am no gearhead. I can do the basics and I can help on the more advanced junk, provided I'm being guided by an "expert". I recently got a 2007 Avalanche LTZ 5.3 V8. The thing is loaded and rides like a Cadillac, or Lincoln if you prefer. However, I'm looking to enhance its performance and sound.  I just installed an Airaid Poweraid TBS and have noticed some extra get up.
Obviously, I'm not going to purchase and install all the performance mods at once (budget). So my question is: In your opinions, which modifications do you recommend and what order would you do each mod? CAI, tuner/programmer, catback? Assuming I would like to stay around $500 per modification, any personal preferences for each? Where should I splurge with my money, and where should I hold back? Keep in mind I'm a novice in this area so try and respond as if you're talking to your wife about the different options.
Thank you to any and all who share your wisdom!

First welcome to the site!

Most people find that getting a good CAT back exhaust system is the first effective mod to the 5.3 motor. The stock intake flows more than enough air on a stock motor. (different thing if motor is modified or something like a supercharger is added.)
Many choices on exhaust systems and it depends on your budget and ownership plans. Just my .02 but if you drive in harsh conditions like road salts, sea air and plan to keep your AV for many years you may want to save up and get a system that is good quality and has a lifetime warranty such as a Corsa or Magnaflow. If budget is a major concern and you only plan to keep your AV a couple years then you can get by with a lesser quality system. Many members have the Flowmaster mufflers and like them a lot.
I have had an AV without and one with a CAI (my current one) from my experience and other have written that there is not much in a gain in performance from having a CAI, it makes more noise and in some cases decreases your MPG. Probably from stomping on the gas to hear the noise. A good tuning would probably do more to increase performance if you feel the need after a good exhaust is installed.
I would use the money saved by not buying a CAI to get a quality exhaust.

Vaeagleav, thanks for the welcoming and thank you for taking the time to put in your .02. This isn't just my first Avalanche, its my first Chevy. I love the truck. It was loaded when I got it, dark tint windows and chrome 20" wheels. I just want to make it a little "meaner".
I've been looking at catbacks. I'm looking for that deep low rumble. I'm not into the loud, raspy sound. That loud, raspy sound doesn't fit my personality, nor the look of my truck.
I just listened to the Corsa on youtube and it sounds ridiculous! A couple videos featuring Magnaflow sounded pretty nice as well. I've never heard either of them in person. Which do you think gives the best, deeper low rumble?
IYO, should I go with a cat back? Will I really notice a difference in sound and performance? Or should I go with all new from the exhaust manifolds back? I like the look of duals. Instead of dropping the $$$ to get true duals, can you get a "Y" with Corsa and Magnaflow?
Thanks again!

Unless you are looking for maximum H.P. or race applications you should be fine with a CAT back system since you said money was an issue. A header setup or different cats can be done later if you are dissatisfied with just the CAT back setup.
The 5.3 motor in stock form needs some backpressure to perform best in normal street use.
I feel Corsa has done the testing and guesswork already so there is no need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
Here is their website so you can read more about them and check out their sound clips too.
http://www.corsaperformance.com/

I have had Corsa on both my AVs but I have heard a Magnaflow and both brands make a nice deep throaty sound when accelerating with NO drone in the cab to drive you or your family nuts at cruise.
Not sure about dual exhaust but you could contact them directly and see what they could do for you. Some members have dual exhaust on their AVs but had to have pipes custom bent to clear the spare tire on the driver side.

First you should restore your vehicle to original running condition.  It's 5 or 6 years old now and has probably never had a complete tune-up.  Take it to a competent mechanic and order a major tune-up with OEM parts.  After you have it back to the way the factory engineers intended you can explore the modification world.  Obviously if you are after a different sound you will want to do exhaust mods but change one thing at a time and keep careful data on each change. 

I do agree with cjlipps, for a 5-6 years old vehicle I would first replace the spark plugs, maybe put on some nice coil-plug wires from MSD or something (~40$) check the brakes, flush the tranny fluids, clean the MAF sensor. With all that your truck should feel smoother, not sure if faster, but you could get a few ponies in the upper RPM range from new spark plugs and wires. In regards to mods, I would go with Vaeagleav's suggestion and get a quality cat back exhaust from Corsa, I also have one of those, only Touring, not the Sport. Both are good but Sport is louder. Once you get the exhaust on I highly recommend finding an expert that can dyno tune your truck for you, this will make the most difference and will cost less then 500$... When I installed my exhaust I had the truck dyno tuned which not only netted me ~20 hp and lb-ft but changed the transmission shift points, and the speed at which gears change; I made the tow/haul mode as my "sport" mode, and the normal mode my "economy" mode. Anyway, all said and done the truck will chirp tires when shifting into 2nd gear and be noticeably faster... nothing magical, but a huge improvement compared with any bolt on mod you could get.

Take a look at nelson performance, he's a very experienced GM tuner. He can do everything a handheld programmer does, and a heck of alot more for cheaper than your $500 limit. Instant smile I promise!

A Big Thank You to all of you! Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice! I just spent $700 on replacing the fuel pump module. The fuel pressure regulator wasn't keeping pressure apparently and was giving me some start up issues. Guess I should have just let them do the major tune-up as well. More than likely that will be the next step. Thanks again fellas.

Back