• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sold my Av this weekend

camaroz1985

It was a bittersweet day, but my Av has gone on to a new excited owner (and yes, I told him about the site).

IMG_2840.jpg

I bought it 10/20/09 with 83k miles, and sold it 1/12/13 with 115k miles.  I enjoyed driving the Av, and I see myself getting another at some point.  My wife loved the Av and couldn't go with me when I did the title transfer because she said she would have cried.  The Av never gave me trouble in the 32k miles I had it.

A few months ago I decided that I would like to upgrade my race trailer either this year or next, and that it would be pushing the Av to pull it.  I considered a 2500, but was pulled toward the Duramax.  I briefly considered a Duramax swap on a 2500 (and the wife was even going along with it, because she liked my Av that much), but I found a deal on a 2006 3500 crew cab dually that I couldn't pass up.

I flew to Dallas, TX at the beginning of November and drove this home.

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

The interior is pretty trashed, or at least the dash and console are, especially in the eyes of my wife.

IMG_2922.jpg

It was used by the previous owner to hot shot RVs.  It had a 115 gallon tank, 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch, and toolbox in the bed, basically making it unusable.  I removed all that as soon as I got home (along with the gruesome headache rack).

IMG_2920.jpg

Most people don't believe me when I tell them how many miles it has, so I will just show this here.

IMG_2923.jpg

That was when I bought it.  There are about 3k more now.

It doesn't drive like it or run like it.  Clearly it was well taken care of mechanically.  When I had it inspected the mechanic was sure that the odometer was in kilometers haha.  Best of all, not a speck of rust on it, gotta love Texas for that.

I have replaced glow plugs, changed the fluids, made new trans cooler lines, installed new tires, and obtained interior panels (haven't installed yet).  Still I have less into it than I sold my Av for, and although it might not be a good indication for vehicles with this many miles, I have just over half of what the kelley blue book value is for a truck in "fair" condition (I would say it will be in good to very good condition once I replace the interior panels).

I have averaged 16.5 MPG and had a best of 17.8 (and that was with a MAF code on at the time).  I haven't towed at all with it yet, and most likely the first will be my current trailer and 24 Hours of Lemons car up to Monticello, NY in April.

I am considering either a 30+ ft enclosed gooseneck trailer with living quarters (DIY, not purchased that way) or a 20 ft enclosed trailer and slide-in truck camper as my next setup (leaning toward the latter).  Previously I had been thinking a 28 ft bumper pull enclosed trailer with DIY living quarters, as neither of theses setups was possible with the Av (well the Av slide in camper that was posted here got me going on that idea, but it doesn't have a shower, A/C, or anything like that, that my wife, and to a lesser extent I, would like to have for weekends at the track).

The trucks did spend some time together and I even thought about keeping both for a while, but it just wasn't practical.

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone here for all the help I have received in the last 3+ years.  The knowledge and enthusiasm on this site is second to none.  I hope to be able to stick around and help whenever I can, and someday be posting as a new buyer again. (Probably with a Duramax too, this new truck has me sold on them.)

I would've kept the spare tank in the bed, just my $0.02.

Back