• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 Puddle Stompin Build

PuddleStompin

Whats up everyone,

Wanted to document my build out of the 2004 i just bought.  Ill list out the mods i already have on order and post a bunch of pics of the mods as I get them installed.

Stock 2004 4x4 Avay w/163,800.

Mods Installed this week:
Amber DRLS
Plasti Dipped Grill and Emblem

Mods on the way:
17x9 Raceline Clutch rims (-21mm offset)
Toyo Open Country M/T 35x12.5x17
Ready Lift 2.5" Front 1" rear Leveling Kit
Cognito PITMAN, IDLER ARM SUPPORT KIT
Bushwacker 2" fender flares
Corvette Servo
Taylor Cable Black 10.4mm ThunderVolt 50 High Performance Spark Plug Wire (PN#98003 Black)
Cold Air Intake (Scored of Craigslist for $70)
*window tint (i'm not doing it so technically its not a mod i will be hands on with)

I know this is going to be a tight fit and lucky for me my brother in law has already done serious fender trimming on several rigs along with several years of welding.  There will definitely be some fender trimming coming up.  Stay posted for pics!!!!

To put the icing on the cake, we also started a new biz selling LED light bars and we are mounting several in the grill and several in the rear upper cladding(over the rear window).  I will give specs on all the lights and how we plan on wiring them.  All the switches will be hidden or tied into factory buttons to keep a clean look on the interior.

A stereo will most likely arrive before i start pulling the motor apart.  As for future mods, i plan on doing a cam and springs in the near future with a BlackBear tune by Justin.  This will probably be around summer time as I'm using the truck as my daily driver right now.  Ive already done some research on the LS6 camshafts which look like the most cost effective way to go.  Anyone has any input on the springs and cam package they are running would be great.

Pics in the following posts.

can't see the pics unless you have a log in with google.

The mods sound like a good plan. Would like to see the wheels / tires once fitted.

Guess i had this thread in the wrong section. My bad.

Got some time put in today on a couple more mods.  Swooped on a CAI from Craigslist for $40.  Couple pics along with a link to the Torsion bar lift for the tail gate.

Attachments

• Intake.3.w.jpg
    Intake.3.w.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 948
  • fender.2.w.jpg
    fender.2.w.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 961
  • Intake.2.w.jpg
    Intake.2.w.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 949
Also decided to go the route of Tinting the tail lights.  These have 4 coats of VHT night shade on them.  Taped off the reverse lights... think it looks cleaner that way.

2 coats of clear in the morning and they will be bolted back on.

Attachments

• Taillight.1.w.jpg
    Taillight.1.w.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 956
  • Taillight.2.w.jpg
    Taillight.2.w.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 962
Here is the link to the Tail gate lift.  Guess a bunch of people already have done but this is how i installed it.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,136936.0.html

After a couple hours of work got "some" stuff done.  Found out i ordered the wrong plug wires from Taylor.... 98003 are not the correct length.  Just got an email back from Taylor and the correct PN# 98005. 

Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

• wheels.1.w.jpg
    wheels.1.w.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 849
  • wheels.2.w.jpg
    wheels.2.w.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 837
  • wheels.3.w.jpg
    wheels.3.w.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 831
Couple pics of the lift... Install got stopped bc i needed the C-Clamp Tool... Should be finished tonight.

Attachments

• Readylift.1.w.jpg
    Readylift.1.w.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 818
  • Readylift.2.w.jpg
    Readylift.2.w.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 813
  • Readylift.3.w.jpg
    Readylift.3.w.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 813
A little plasti dip to accent the hood.... turned out pretty nice.

Attachments

• PD.hood.1.w.jpg
    PD.hood.1.w.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 799
  • PD.hood.2.w.jpg
    PD.hood.2.w.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,029
Have been doing some practice with Plasti Dip.  Tell me how you got a straight line.  When I take the tape off, the good part wants to come with the tape.  Help a brother out!!  (y)

Ski Edition said:
Have been doing some practice with Plasti Dip.  Tell me how you got a straight line.  When I take the tape off, the good part wants to come with the tape.  Help a brother out!!   (y)

I ran into the same problem bc i sprayed multiple layers and it all wanted to come up.  If you use a small box cutter and lightly cut along the tap line... there should be a small lip/rise you can follow.  Dont push to hard as you don't want to mess up the paint.  Nice thing about PD is it is pretty dang strong.  When you go to pull up the tape go slow and use the very tip of the box cutter to help with the stubborn sections.  I had to re-tape one corner and shoot again bc i pulled it up.

HMMM..... sorry to thread jack here kinda but i think that might be the way that i go to do my b pillar blackout....  (y)

PuddleStompin said:
I ran into the same problem bc i sprayed multiple layers and it all wanted to come up.  If you use a small box cutter and lightly cut along the tap line... there should be a small lip/rise you can follow.  Dont push to hard as you don't want to mess up the paint.  Nice thing about PD is it is pretty dang strong.  When you go to pull up the tape go slow and use the very tip of the box cutter to help with the stubborn sections.  I had to re-tape one corner and shoot again bc i pulled it up.

That's what happened to me!  I have done some extra cladding pieces and love how it is holding up to the weather and wear and tear.  I'll keep practicing!  BTW  Hood looks great!! 

Thanks for the input Gopherbacon.

@Wyotonka-  Drop some pics or a link if you do that.  I'd like to check it out.

@SkiEdition- Thanks... can't wait to finish the leveling kit tonight and get the fenders on.  Do you have pics of your cladding dippped??

wyotonka said:
will do  (y) can you just get this stuff at like home depot?

Napa Auto Parts, Riebes..... Home depot might have them.  One thing i noticed in spraying is that the Plasti Dip bottles have different sprayers.  if your shooting it out of a can try to find the ones with this type of nozzle on it.  The dip layed down a lot smoother than the traditional tips.

Attachments

• PD.sprayer.jpg
    PD.sprayer.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 759
PuddleStompin said:
@SkiEdition- Thanks... can't wait to finish the leveling kit tonight and get the fenders on.  Do you have pics of your cladding dippped??

I have done the bumper caps, lower valance and Sport Wing.  I don't have any pics and it's 20 degrees out.  I'll shoot you some and send them to you.  I had my bumpers and step bars powdercoated and the matte black dip is almost a perfect match.  Just holding my breath that it holds up since this is the first product that I have found that matches and looks good.  Not into painting the plastic.  My wheel well covers will be next.  Want to to them on the truck, but don't want to get into the issue of ripping off the good part.  May just take them off.  I have a cowl hood and am thinking about putting a strip of it across the front instead of a bug shield.  

PuddleStompin said:
Napa Auto Parts, Riebes..... Home depot might have them.  One thing i noticed in spraying is that the Plasti Dip bottles have different sprayers.  if your shooting it out of a can try to find the ones with this type of nozzle on it.  The dip layed down a lot smoother than the traditional tips.

I get mine with this tip at Home Depot.  $4.95 a can.  Went yesterday to get a couple more and they are now $5.95. 

Back