• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adding two way remote start OEM functionality to factory remote start?

kaczman

Hi all,

I've seen some members talking about adding factory 2 way remote start to a vehicle already equipped with factory remote start, but never whats required or how to do it. I have a Tech2 at work, so I think I can have it programmed but am not sure whats required. Anyone with helpful incite that could chime in would be great. Thanks!

Assuming you work for GM there should be a program to updated the BCIM ( I assume). Maybe your in one of the states I travel (IL, MO, AR, KS) and you could update mine if I ever get the module installed. It's located above the headliner in the back. I think it's close to the plastic at the top of the window.

You need the RCDLR to match the 2 way remote, with extended range antenna, and use an MDI to reprogram via SPS. If the vehicle does not currently have remote start you have to call TAC to get a programing code.

LornesAV said:
Assuming you work for GM there should be a program to updated the BCIM ( I assume). Maybe your in one of the states I travel (IL, MO, AR, KS) and you could update mine if I ever get the module installed. It's located above the headliner in the back. I think it's close to the plastic at the top of the window.

I dont work for GM - I work for a late model high performance domestic sport car and auto yard that deals with 2012 ZL1s and so forth. So I have access to a tech 2 - and Im sure whatever update the BCM needs. I am in ohio if I ever figure out how to get the right parts.

krazycarguy said:
You need the RCDLR to match the 2 way remote, with extended range antenna, and use an MDI to reprogram via SPS. If the vehicle does not currently have remote start you have to call TAC to get a programing code.

Any idea the GM part numbers on these, or do they provide a "upgrade kit"? I do currently have remote start.

So your talking about adding the advance remote to your system? The one with the oversized key fob with LCD screen?

Part Number is #19171129
Everything you need is available from ebay as a complete package. Also available at the dealer if you have deep pockets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-19171129-Remote-Start-2-Way-Advanced-Lock-Control-Key-Fob-New-Warranty-OEM-/330847387381?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D5044863777736619122%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D330844863230%26

$(KGrHqFHJCsE8gQRng9nBPORJdlVbg~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16N,!wsE9suw)kFCBP8cbTiFrQ~~60_12.JPG

Thanks for the link Douglass. The dealer (or me) should still be able to program that properly if my LTZ has rear window defog, right?

DouglasOak said:
Part Number is #19171129
Everything you need is available from ebay as a complete package. Also available at the dealer if you have deep pockets.

You will need deep pockets to conceal that remote.

FYI I have that remote for my av it's not all its hyped up to be. For me I found it a waste of money and the battery life just sucks

Intimidatoruag said:
what does it really do vs the fob most of us have?

It actually has quite a few added features over the base remotes.
The 2-Way Advanced Remote Start utilizes advanced technology and extended range to upgrade your vehicle's factory keyless entry/remote start system. The key fob features a display screen showing confirmation that a function was performed; for example, the vehicle started or doors were locked. It also displays a remote start countdown timer and data such as tire pressure, fuel level, and odometer reading. The transmitter can control a second vehicle equipped with this accessory.

Accessories Part Number
19171129, 19213167

Kit Usage

This kit is designed to add 2-way remote start with extended range and enhanced functionality. It is for vehicles equipped with remote vehicle start from the factory, vehicles with option code AP3. If the vehicle is not equipped with remote vehicle start, use a kit for vehicles equipped with option codes AU0 or AP8.

The 2-Way RCDLR has been designed to operate with the antenna included in the kit. The antenna type, gain, cable loss, and impedance have been chosen to meet FCC and Industry Canada requirements for radio communication equipment. Do not substitute the antenna supplied with any other part. Any modifications to the antenna or use of an antenna not designed for this system could void authorization to use this equipment.

Kit Contents

Qty     Description

1        Remote Control Door Lock, 2-Way Remote Start & Info Display Receiver (2-Way RCDLR)

1        2-Way Remote Start and Door Lock Transmitter (With Information Display)

1        2-Way Remote Start, Door Lock & Info Display Antenna

1        2-Way Advanced Remote Start Owner Manual

Special Tools

? Scan Tool with capability of communicating on GMLAN? Service Programming System (SPS - TIS2WEB or equivalent)? J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool, if the vehicle is equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)? Surface Cleaner (50 percent isopropyl alcohol, FS-1082 hi-flash naphtha or equivalent)? 19171129: Adhesion Promoter GM P/N 12378462 (Canadian P/N 10953554)? 19213167: Glass Adhesion Promoter GM P/N 12378555 (Canadian P/N 88901239)
Procedure

Important: Please review this entire procedure before trying to perform it.

? If the vehicle is equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), use the Scan Tool to perform the Copy and Paste TPM Information procedure. This will extract the TPM Tire Type information as well as the sensor data from the existing RCDLR prior to its replacement and store this information in the scan tool. After RCDLR replacement, the tire type and sensor data stored in the scan tool is written to the new RCDLR, negating the need to perform the tire type setup and sensor learn procedure. This must be performed BEFORE removing the old RCDLR. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Programming and Setup.
? Remove the factory keyless entry antenna. Refer to Keyless Entry Antenna Replacement.
? Physically replace the factory Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) with the 2-way RCDLR included in the kit.The module in on the left C pillar.
?
? Install the antenna in the location specific to the antenna part number. The part number is XXXXX the tag near the antenna connector. Refer to 2-Way Remote Start, Door Lock, and Information Display Antenna Package Installation.
? The 2-Way RCDLR will not work until it is programmed. Using the Scan Tool and SPS terminal, program the 2-Way RCDLR. Select the controller "RCDLR Remote Control Door Lock Receiver 2 Way - with Yellow Label". Select the options that the VIN is equipped with. After the 2-Way RCDLR is programmed, if the vehicle is equipped with TPMS, perform the Paste TPM Information procedure or perform the tire type and pressure setup and sensor learn procedure. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Programming and Setup.
? Check the 2-Way transmitter battery for full charge. Press the unlock button on the 2-Way transmitter eight times consecutively and then check the battery gauge in the upper right corner of the LCD display. If the battery icon is flashing, shows two bars or less, or the display flickers or fades out, replace the battery. Only if the gauge reads full (three bars), the transmitter can be released to the customer. To replace the battery: 6.1. Use a lithium coin cell battery, type CR2450 (GM P/N 12493150).6.2. Gently pry the transmitter halves apart all the way around, using a nylon trim panel tool or similar object, starting at the notch at the bottom.6.3. Remove the battery and insert a new one, making sure the positive side is down (towards the back of the transmitter).6.4. Snap the transmitter halves together, making sure the gap is even all the way around.6.5. Check the new battery. Press the unlock button 8 times consecutively and then check the battery gauge.
? Program the 2-way transmitter and the vehicles factory transmitters to the new RCDLR.
? Turn the ignition off for 1 minute.
? Turn the ignition on.
? Using the scan tool, retrieve any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from all of the modules.
? Clear all DTCs.
? Remove the scan tool.
? Operate the 2-way and factory transmitters in order to verify correct system operation. Refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation. Press a command button with the vehicle ignition ON in order to synchronize the 2-Way transmitter clock, if equipped, to the vehicle clock.
? Reassemble. Refer to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement.
? Drive the vehicle above 25 mph for at least 2 minutes. This is to update the tire pressure displays.
? Add the transmitters to the customer key rings.
? Place the 2-Way Advanced Remote Start owner manual in instrument panel compartment.
? Keep the vehicle dry. Allow 6-8 hours, at 15?C (60?F), for the antenna adhesive to cure after installation

On-star has an App that has all the functionality of the two way remote with out the headache of having to install it.  there is one huge hang up however, you have to be an on-star subscriber.  Still if you are looking at an option I would look at the smartphone app first.

Semper FI

The OnStar app rocks, it's for 2010-2013 avalanches. Greatest thing since slice cheese.

moosc said:
The OnStar app rocks, it's for 2010-2013 avalanches. Greatest thing since slice cheese.

moosc:  Updating a 2008 to 2010 OnStar functionality probably impossible, or at least cost prohibitive?

Nick

I doubt you can modify it. Maybe switch the OnStar. Module but maybe there's more maybe you need a 2010 Vin number swap

Read the reviews for OnStar Remote Link & Viper Smart Start.

Such mixed reviews regarding latency issues.  Seems like the technology might need some fine tuning.

Have no issue yea some times its slow but think like this its not line of sight its cellular. I can start my av any place on the planet as long as my phone has data. Some folks can't see that. Way better then any remote

moosc said:
Have no issue yea some times its slow but think like this its not line of sight its cellular. I can start my av any place on the planet as long as my phone has data. Some folks can't see that. Way better then any remote

moosc:  Your OnStar RemoteLink idea really started to grow on me, so I decided to look into the subject a little deeper.  If you think AFM & heated washer fluid module issues are touchy subjects in Avalanche-land, you should research the discontent Generation 9 OnStar has brought to the entire GM family.

The main issue appears to be the lack of backwards compatibility to the earlier model years. GM owners, willing to pay for an upgrade, are upset because a remedy isn't available to them.

Seems faithful OnStar subscribers are canceling their subscriptions, once they find out they're not eligible for RemoteLink.   LG Electronics, the supplier of Generation 9 VCIM hardware, appears to be caught in the middle.

The parties say they are searching for a solution, but don't seem to be making much progress.  Reading between the lines, I'm beginning to wonder whether the BCM, itself, has proven to be the main technical obstacle?

When Generation 9 was rolled out, only 5 or 6 Chevrolet models were listed.  Factory-installed remote start was one of the qualifiers.  Wonder whether BCM bus architecture & programming was one of the others?  

Anyways, since coming back to the Avalanche family last Fall, Generation 9 has become my Hot Button # 3.

Nick

Understand there anger I was angry at first then they added it. But what folks need to remember technology changes. I think 2010 got because it uses the newer technology like added BT and other things. Viper remotes has a cell phone version for there sytem

I don't want to pay so I can start my truck everyone in awhile. I just wanted to be able to start it from my hotel room on nasty days. At the cost of gas I use it on rare occasion and maybe 1 minute before I get to the truck.

You MAY be able to get a newer model VCIM and get access to the new features.

For my '09 CTS if I get a VCIM from an '11 or newer it will work with the Cadillac version. The issue is that apparently some of the actual codes and responses are different from the pre '11 CTS to the '11. So while the application works it is not 100%.

Since the VCIM is a module on to its self I suspect it would be the same issue for our trucks as well. I do not have access to factory drawings past 2009 model year so I can't confirm. The biggest deal with the CTS is to get a VCIM from a vehicle with the same configuration so I suspect would be the same for the trucks too. (BT, and Remote Start)

Likely would need a reprogramming at worst but unless you work at a dealer with the proper subscription not likely. Just having a Tech2 doesn't mean you can program stuff.. Although I have found you can get a 3 day subscription to be able to update your modules and such. Considering trying that at some point down the road once I can record the download with my "Special tools".

Rodney

I actually have a newer VCIM installed as I wanted the Bluetooth capability. I have a dealer that will do the install granted I find a kit that will work and they have the instructions on the codes for install.

Back