• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

DIY Aftermarket Heated Seat Install - 2007 to 20??

noogie

I chose to install aftermarket heated seats into the AV bc adding oem heated seats to a AV that was not equipped with it from the factory was priced too high.

Here is a link to the ebay seller that I purchased my heated seat kit from. http://www.ebay.com/itm/heated-seat-2-seats-install-dual-dial-switch-seat-heater-car-cushion-seat-cover-/180763011275?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1650a8cb&vxp=mtr In case there may be multiple versions of this product available on ebay, the sellers name that I used is heatedseat.

The kit came with 4 pads, 2 switches, appropriate wiring harness with inline fuses.  The heated seat kit has a seat and back pad and is capable of running on either hi or low.

I installed the kit without removing the seats from the vehicle. If you feel as though you would like to install them with the seats out, you will need a 15mm socket to remove the nuts that fasten the seat down.
16090751_large.jpg

Other tools that are required for the install include:
1. A unibit to drill the hole out for the switches
2. An exacto knife to notch the seam out from the seat element pad
3. Plastic panel tool to help lift some tabs off
4. Zap straps to tie the wiring down
5. Side cutters
6. 7mm socket to remove misc screws for easier access
7. Crimpers to attach connectors to the ends of the lines

8. Optional, is a soldering iron if you would like to terminate the ends differently

Step 1:
16090707_large.jpg

Remove the backing from the seat by pushing on the top towards the front of the truck and down.
16090708_large.jpg

2 large clips wll be released
16090712_large.jpg

Push along one side of the seat towards the front of the truck to remove 2 more clips. Once these clips are removed, you can reach into the backside of the seat to remove the other clips.
16090709_large.jpg

16090710_large.jpg

Here is what the clips look like
16090713_large.jpg

Push the bottom of the seat in and push up to remove the last 2 clips holding the back panel on
16090711_large.jpg

16090714_large.jpg

16090722_large.jpg

Step 2:
Remove 7 hook clips that hold the fabric onto the seat. 3 on each side and 1 long 1 at the bottom
16090720_large.jpg

16090721_large.jpg

16090723_large.jpg

Step 3:
Unfold the material from the underside of the foam cushion and move to the front of the seat
16090725_large.jpg

16090739_large.jpg

Step 4:
Pull the backing towards the front of the AV. I lifted the cloth material enough so I could place the heat element onto the surface and secure it with the supplied upholstery tape
16090741_large.jpg

16090743_large.jpg

Step 5:
remove the front retaining clip on the seat cushion by pushing up and pulling towards the back of the truck
16090745_large.jpg

16090746_large.jpg

After flipping the seat cushion material up, you will see piping that is attached to the fabric. It is held onto the seat cushion by a clip that can be removed by popping one side off first
16090747_large.jpg

16090748_large.jpg

Here is the piping that runs across the seat. You will have to cut the heated seat element to allow the piping to fit back into its original location
16090750_large.jpg

Step 6:
I forgot to take a pic of the wires that exit out through the back. I directed them out the back and off to the side closest to the center console. Here is a pic from the underside.
16090756_large.jpg

Step 7:
Remove the center tray by squeezing the corner and lifying up
16090757_large.jpg

Here are the tabs holding the center tray in
16090758_large.jpg

Once the clips have been released, you need to slide the tray backwards bc of these tabs
16090759_large.jpg

Step 8:
Run the wiring from under the seats through the center console. I originally had a jumpseat, so my console may look different then yours. I am missing the rear vent pipes and upgraded Bose system.
16090765_large.jpg

Here is the wiring going from the center console towards the junction box under the driverside dash
16090768_large.jpg

And finally here is where I got my ground and 12v source.
16090769_large.jpg

Step 9:
I decided to moount the switch on the side of the seat. Remove this 7mm to allow easier access while drilling out the mounting hole.
16090752_large.jpg

16090753_large.jpg

I will most likely move the switches bc I cannot tell if the passenger side has been left on. I  will be moving them here
16090775_large.jpg

And there you have it, heated seats installed into a NNBS AV for heck of alot cheaper then the OEM option.

Very nice detail and good photos.  If I didn't despise heated seats so much I would consider this!  I do like where you are going to put the switch rather than the side of the seat. (y)

very nice  :cool:

Awesome install with great pics! Can a person ass more to this, say like wanting to do the backseats? I believe my daughter would like it when she gets out of the car and booster seat!

Bravo! Nice write up and pics.  (y)

07HrlyHlr said:
Awesome install with great pics! Can a person ass more to this, say like wanting to do the backseats? I believe my daughter would like it when she gets out of the car and booster seat!

My backseat will be heated as soon as my son no longer needs his car seat. I have installed heat elements in the back of an AV before and to reduce any complications i decided to heat the seat cushion and not the backrest. The install is the same as the front seats and the wiring travels down the seat brackets under the carpet. From there, they follow the same path as the front seat wiring. I placed the switches on the backside of the center console.

Sweet, let me see if I can do the front ones with out burning my truck up and then work on the back. :laugh:

noogie said:
My backseat will be heated as soon as my son no longer needs his car seat. I have installed heat elements in the back of an AV before and to reduce any complications i decided to heat the seat cushion and not the backrest. The install is the same as the front seats and the wiring travels down the seat brackets under the carpet. From there, they follow the same path as the front seat wiring. I placed the switches on the backside of the center console.

Thanks for the post!  I did this today and this tutorial was a great help.

I had to remove an upholstery clip from the door-side, underneath the seat bottom, to help me fold the cover back...other than that, no issues!

Thanks again!

noogie said:

I need to replace my driver side first but adding backseat would be nice. I've slept in the backseat more than once, it's easier than setting up the tent after dark. Instant warmth in the morning when you start the truck  (y)

where exactly did you tap into the 12v source? also, when using the step bit, what holds the switch in place? is there a nut?

Can the OP update his post so that the photographs show (most aren't showing)? I'm doing this now with my Tahoe and I'd like to see how he did it. Thank you.

Back