• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bedrug, LED cargo lighting installed.

naylor99

Charter Member
PM 2013
PM 2012
Been waiting for a nice warm day to install my Bedrug. (FYI - They recommend the truck surfaces be at least 68 degrees for maximum adhesion);

bedrug2.jpg

bedrug1.jpg

I installed a set of LED cargo lights a few weeks ago;

AVbedlights2.jpg

I'll take more pics after dark.

List price is about $400, but you can often find it for around $350. It feels like carpet, but is not. It is all pretty tough material, hard to damage, won't absorbe moisture, etc. all made of closed cell foam and acrylic plastic. Hose it off to clean.

I'm impressed so far. Time will tell, but lots of folks here swear by them.

Does the rug quiet the bed much.

MS03 2500 said:
Does the rug quiet the bed much.

Haven't driven much since installed, but it did seem to be quieter. The whole thing is backed with a layer of foam, so it would have to quiet it down to some degree. I did this instead of a bedslide (I made one for my last two AVs) but always hated that you lost 3 inches or so of available height in the bed. Now things will be able to be slid around easier - I made a 'cargo handler' out of PVC. With this I can push things in, pull them out, and slide them around easier;

cargohandler.jpg

A couple of questions:

Does the stock mat need to be removed?

Should it be rained on, is there any drainage system designed into the BedRug?

Thanks!

Nick

Nick@Night said:
Does the stock mat need to be removed?

No, the instructions indicate that the mat stays in - two velcro tape strips get applied directly to the mat.

Nick@Night said:
Should it be rained on, is there any drainage system designed into the BedRug?

Not that I can see. My take is that you could park it on an incline, hose it out, and let it dry. Maybe someone who has had one for a while can weigh in...

I put a Bed Rug in last year, and I've been real happy with it.  As I have a SnugTop on the back (fiberglass top), and run with the rear glass out, I find the noise from the back is much reduced.

But I wanted to ask you about your LED lighting.  Looks terrific!  I've been looking at flexible LED strip lighting for a start, but I'm undecided.  Can you tell me a little bit more about what you bought and how you went about installing it?  Your switch placement is excellent!  Very well done!  It looks like a factory option.

Thanks!

Michael

strange said:
But I wanted to ask you about your LED lighting.  Looks terrific!  I've been looking at flexible LED strip lighting for a start, but I'm undecided.  Can you tell me a little bit more about what you bought and how you went about installing it?  Your switch placement is excellent!  Very well done!  It looks like a factory option.

Thanks! I got the idea from another member here. The kit is this;

http://www.ledunderbody.com/Truck-Bed-LED-Lighting-Kit.aspx?=sitelink=LeftNav

2 sets of 4 pods, 6 LEDs in each pod, 2' of wire between each. I didn't use the switch that came with it, but found a round shallow switch that would barely fit in that location. I attached the pods to the drip rails ( they clip in - remove by pulling straight down), and drilled small holes on the 'lip' that extends down to the bed, then used small zip ties to keep it neat. I'll find a pic and post it, then it will make more sense...

For power, I wired into the trailer hitch. This way it is totally separate from the factory cargo light. Ran the wires down the rear light cavity, along with an inline fuse.

I found a few pics from my install. Hard to tell from the pics, but the light pods are sealed and covered with tough clear plastic. They have screw mounting holes as well as 3m tape on the back. I didn't want any holes in the top of the drip rails, so I only used the 3M tape.

led1.jpg

led2.jpg

To run the wires, I removed the bed liner plugs - enough to get behind the panels at the back end. The wires run from the light pods, down to the switch location, then up and over into the rear light cavity. From there, they run down under the truck.

led3.jpg

Back