• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tie down hooks

JennS

PM 2013
I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum, but I'm not sure where to ask this...

Where do I get replacement tie down hooks? I bought my AV used and it's missing the lower hooks. I've googled for them and looked through the GM parts catalog, but it says "part included with storage box" and doesn't let me order them on their own. Is there a way to buy new ones, or something else I can use in their place? Should I call a dealership? Or do I need to call around to junk yards and pull them myself?

Junk yard would be best bet.

more then likley previous owner had tailgate extender or soemthing which required him to remove them

Yeah, that was my guess, too. I've searched the whole truck and they're not hidden away.

Will the year matter for tie down hooks? I figure I'll bring my AV along to make sure they fit anyway. And maybe I'll find something else fun to scrounge.  :p

FOr yours I am pretty sure 2007 thru 2013 would be same..

not sure about the older style.. .Even though I cannot for the life of me think why GM would change them...
othet then to change them ...

But ya never know... and they should not charge much for them... as it cannot be a popular item to buy

JennS said:
Where do I get replacement tie down hooks? I bought my AV used and it's missing the lower hooks. I've googled for them and looked through the GM parts catalog, but it says "part included with storage box" and doesn't let me order them on their own.
JennS, I have some information that may be useful to you when you find a set.

On the old & new body styles, the hooks are sort of captive between the composite box, and the metal clip behind it.  There is a tab on the bottom of the hook bracket that slides behind the composite box.  The hooks on the old body style were easy to remove.

On the GMT 900 (NBS,) the design has been changed.  For one thing, they added a rectangular key on the clip that fits into a key way, which has been punched into the hook bracket.  These new hooks require a little more finesse, when removing or installing.  Trick is to pry the box out a little, so the bottom lip of the hook can be removed from, or attached to this key. 

When I first installed my beloved CargoPro bedslide in my '04, my recollection is the lower hooks had to be removed to accommodate the bedslide's mounting brackets.

Found out the hard way that the new, slightly smaller, hooks don't require removal.  In general, the hooks are smaller, and the eye portion is bent upwards, slightly.  The mounting brackets fit perfectly, underneath. 

Hope this information helps you.

Nick

ygmn said:
not sure about the older style.. .Even though I cannot for the life of me think why GM would change them...
othet then to change them ...
My recollection is the old body style had hooks that swiveled.  These are stationary, and attach differently.  They look a little stronger.

Might have been some sort of liability concern.

Edit: After I got home from work, this evening, found one of the old hooks. They do swivel, but are actually a little beefier.  Wonder if they were redesigned to make it easier to attach some of the bedslide-type accessories, without removal?

Nick

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I might be in for a fun weekend, replacing them. Ah well. At least that seems to be the only part missing off the truck.

Back