• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Does XM Radio get the NFL? Is XM really a lot worse than sirius?

arachnyd

I've long been a SIRIUS subscriber. I know years ago, Sirius was clearly dominant as it was the only one that had the NFL + a lot of other popular stations, but now I'm actually replacing the stereo with an aftermarket unit, which means I have to buy a new "XM" or "SIRIUS" unit. Since XM comes on these cars, I think most people have more experience with XM here, so who is better to ask! I know they are owned by the same company, and now both share many of the stations I listen to (pretty much all the stations I listen to are on both, except the NFL, but I'm trying to figure that out)... There are still "differences". I find the XM radios are a HECK of a lot cheaper than the sirius ones, so I have to guess its because XM is much worse than sirius, there isn't as much demand. I'm just wondering if it is worth paying a premium for Sirius or if XM now gets the NFL / isn't too bad.

I have had NO luck searching the great internet. Even Sirius XM has its "schedule" but its currently blank on the NFL. Any experiences?

(Namely I'm wondering if its worth spending over $100 for the Sportster 5 Sirius, or if the XM XpressRC is good enough. The xpressRC has all the same features but is $100 cheaper. Its not just this radio though, all the XM radios are a lot cheaper than the sirius equivalence, even though they look better and have more features)

I thought they were the same now a days. There is a 24 hour NFL xm channel.

There the same company both radios will work. What will happen is say u buy a Xm unit but u want NASCAR and stern u have to get the best of package added on for a small additional fee. Same for Sirius u buy that radio and u want NFL and Opie & Anthony you have to buy the buy the best of package for it at a additional charge of course.

moosc said:
There the same company both radios will work. What will happen is say u buy a Xm unit but u want NASCAR and stern u have to get the best of package added on for a small additional fee. Same for Sirius u buy that radio and u want NFL and Opie & Anthony you have to buy the buy the best of package for it at a additional charge of course.

All I want is to listen to my football games. I don't care about anything else, so I don't want to pay extra on an XM subscription just so I can hear the Sirius NFL games, when I can buy a sirius radio and not have to do that. I'll go check siriusxm.com and see if theres an option for "NFL" on XM or if its on sirius.

Ahh! I finally figured it out. I DO need Sirius. If I get XM it will cost $3.50 more a month ($42 more a year) just for the NFL, so even if a Sirius radio costs $100 more, it will pay off in just 2.5 years. (however if I get a used radio for the same price as the new XM radio its just the lack of a shiny new toy)

Thanks for the insight- no idea why I couldnt figure it out on their website until moosc pointed out the packages. Thats why I heard both work with all, but the pricings different. Thanks a bunch for getting me pointed in the right direction!

Another thing to consider is getting either the XM or Sirius Radio app for your smart phone...

I have found that the fidelity is much better on the app then it is on the XM radio in my truck.

I ran them both side by side on the same stations and the app via the smartphone sounds better.  

I'm guessing its a bandwidth issue.  

Anyway, If you have an unlimited data plan...it may make sense to just get one of the apps.  

Good luck.  

I'm doing the comparison on the stock Bose Radio in my 2011 Sierra.  The smart phone is connected via USB and I'm comparing against the stock GM XM receiver.  

I have notice the sound quality sucks also

NJ-Black-02-2500 said:
Another thing to consider is getting either the XM or Sirius Radio app for your smart phone...

I have found that the fidelity is much better on the app then it is on the XM radio in my truck.

I ran them both side by side on the same stations and the app via the smartphone sounds better.  

I'm guessing its a bandwidth issue.  

Anyway, If you have an unlimited data plan...it may make sense to just get one of the apps.  

Good luck.  

I'm doing the comparison on the stock Bose Radio in my 2011 Sierra.  The smart phone is connected via USB and I'm comparing against the stock GM XM receiver.  

The only 2 reasons I like Sirius is doing 10-12 hour drives through the middle of nowhere and not having to change channels every hour, and catching the NFL games while I'm driving through the day. I've had it built into my last few cars, but even though I don't normally drive the Avy big distances, I thought I'd get one radio to swap back and foreth between my car and the truck for trips. Thats interesting that the smart phone quality is better than the truck audio. I always thought the sirius/XM quality was pretty darn good, but I never tried streaming it. How much "buffering" do you have to deal with?

I wonder if thats just with the XM radio on these trucks or with all XM/Sirius Radios as in my jeep, ram, camaro, and ford, the quality in all of them were superb.

Back