• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Thursday Dinner

pktwatch

SM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2004
SM 2003
Since there is no "official" dinner for us early arrivers on Thursday I thought I would put something together.

Grover's Bar & Grill
9160 Transit Road
East Amherst, NY 14051

UPDATE
Thanks SS for the advice and information that you posted in reply #4. I called Grovers and just like you said they will be busy and it is not very large. She said that we would need to get on a list and be seated one table at a time....not working for us!

I called Ruzzines Rock Bottom like you suggested and we have reservations for 20 people at 6 PM! So the new address is:

Ruzzines Rock Bottom
6261 Transit Rd
East Amherst, NY

6:00PM Reservations for the first 20 people, others can probably get seated close  to us with little or no wait!

If you are interested in joining us we will be there around 6PM on Thursday evening. It is about 20 minutes from our hotel and there looks to be a good parking lot.

Child friendly!

Z66 BUTCH  & jomomma
Didit & Lu
Loggie + 2
GoldBowTie & Toots
OldVMer & Mrs OldVMer
Intimidatoruag + 3
Troublemaker
james21

We will plan to join you.

--OldVMer

Pretty good place, but the reputation is a bit blown out of proportion. The one thing that's for sure, you won't still be hungry when you leave there!

But whatever you do, GO EARLY! It's a small place, and it fills up fast. If you have a significant group, get there before 5:00. If you wait 'till 6:00 you'll likely have to wait in line for a table (there is a chalkboard to sign yourself in at the far end of the bar.)

You may have to split up the group -- there aren't a lot tables, and even fewer large tables.

And there isn't any issue with children: I wouldn't sit at the bar with them, and they certainly can't have any alcohol, but there are no issues with taking them in there to sit at a table and have dinner.

And for a bit of history: Grover's gets it's name because the building used to be former US President Grover Cleveland's hunting lodge (back when there was pretty much nothing else in the area.)

-- SS

PS: If Grover's is full, Rock Bottom across the street is also pretty good. In fact, I think their burgers are just a bit better than Grover's (no matter how you order a burger at Grovers's they always seem to come out well done.)

ShapeShifter said:
Pretty good place, but the reputation is a bit blown out of proportion. The one thing that's for sure, you won't still be hungry when you leave there!

But whatever you do, GO EARLY! It's a small place, and it fills up fast. If you have a significant group, get there before 5:00. If you wait 'till 6:00 you'll likely have to wait in line for a table (there is a chalkboard to sign yourself in at the far end of the bar.)

You may have to split up the group -- there aren't a lot tables, and even fewer large tables.

And there isn't any issue with children: I wouldn't sit at the bar with them, and they certainly can't have any alcohol, but there are no issues with taking them in there to sit at a table and have dinner.

And for a bit of history: Grover's gets it's name because the building used to be former US President Grover Cleveland's hunting lodge (back when there was pretty much nothing else in the area.)

-- SS

PS: If Grover's is full, Rock Bottom across the street is also pretty good. In fact, I think their burgers are just a bit better than Grover's (no matter how you order a burger at Grovers's they always seem to come out well done.)

Good deal and I'm okay if there are more than one table.  Might be easier lol

Here's a pic. Grover's is the brown roof on the middle left. You can see that other lot above it. Look at the closeup of the lot behind the building: there's two trucks parallel parked (they look like Avs?) You can see how far the one in back is hanging over the space. Also, below them is a pickup: the tailgate is on the back line, yet the side lines barely reach the cab. They're real small spaces. :(

The other (backup) place, Ruzzine's Rock Bottom, is diagonally across the street with the deck that's partially covered by the yellow/black striped awning.

-- SS

Attachments

• Grovers.JPG
    Grovers.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Grovers2.JPG
    Grovers2.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 83
Hmmm... I made an earlier post, and it doesn't show up?  ???

What I had said was that I told Mrs SS about this, and her eyes got real wide: she thinks getting there at 5:00 might be too late to seat a large group. You might want to go as early as possible.

Also, I just noticed Butch's comment:
Z66 BUTCH said:
...and there looks to be a good parking lot.

Actually, it's a pretty crowded and tight parking lot. It was always difficult to get the Av through the lot and into a space. (Now the comments on the previous post should make more sense.)

But there is a lot next door (see where the pickup is parked on the right of Butch's street level view.) That's a seasonal business and is often closed. If it is, while probably not strictly legal, parking in that lot could be easier.

It's too bad this wasn't a couple years ago, I used to live just a few miles down the road from Grover's. I'm now on the opposite end of the county, about an hour away.

-- SS

Thanks SS for the advice and information. I called Grovers and just like you said they will be busy and it is not very large. She said that we would need to get on a list and be seated one table at a time....not working for us!

I called Ruzzines Rock Bottom like you suggested and we have reservations for 20 people at 6 PM! So the new address is:

Ruzzines Rock Bottom
6261 Transit Rd
East Amherst, NY

6:00PM First 20 people have reservations others can probably get seated close  to us with little or no wait!

I will go update the first post, again thanks SS for the advice!

That's probably a good decision. Rock Bottom doesn't have the mystique that Grover's has (it's not associated with anyone famous and Guy didn't visit it on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives) but it will probably work out better for the group. And if it's any consolation, when I lived in area we went to Rock Bottom much more often than Grover's.

Neither one is a world-class restaurant, but you won't go hungry.

http://www.rockbottomeatery.com/
Menu: http://www.rockbottomeatery.com/files/70586601.pdf

The burgers are very good. The French Dip is good, especially if you have them add some provolone. The Turkey Alex is very good, but messy. The Chimichanga and Hoisin Chicken are also good. I'm hard pressed to think of anything there I didn't like: there isn't anything I suggest anybody avoid (although I've NOT had everything there, so if you get something you don't like, it's not my fault!)

-- SS

We have visited 5 or 6 Diners that Guy has featured on his show, i should have know better than try to get a group in there at that time of the evening! Once he visits they become very popular but we have yet to be disappointed in any food that we have ate at any one of them.

Have you had the Beef on Weck there at the Rock Bottom? That is something that I hear about but have never tried, they do not have them in our area. We have a "wet" roast beef available at some local pizza joints that I love, wonder if it is similar.

as longs as I can eat I dont care the place  :laugh:

Z66 BUTCH said:
Have you had the Beef on Weck there at the Rock Bottom? That is something that I hear about but have never tried, they do not have them in our area. We have a "wet" roast beef available at some local pizza joints that I love, wonder if it is similar.

Beef on Weck is a Buffalo tradition, much older than hot chicken wings. I'm not a fan of it, but Mrs SS is, and she's pretty sure that Rock Bottom's version is good.

It's basically sliced roast beef, dipped in Au Jus (the bun is also often dipped) and served hot on a kummelweck bun -- a hard roll covered in coarse salt and caraway seeds (the same seeds in rye bread.) Generally, horseradish is available on the side to spice it up.

320px-Small_-_Beef_on_Weck.jpg

-- SS

Traditional beef on weck is NOTHING like wet roast beef that I have had.
It's a main staple in the area. Always have to bring some back to NC when I go home.
As SS said it can be had with or without Au Jus. I like it hot and without.

Troublemaker said:
Stick me on the list!   I'll be coming to Nationals alone though.  My son decided he doesn't want to go...

Sucks he's not coming.  but that's one less mouth to feed lol

If there's still room, can you stick me on the list.

DirtyGirl and I probably won't be getting there in time for dinner.  (n)

Hope y'all stuff yourselves at dinner...

So there's plenty of desserts left for us!!!!!!!

Back