• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Skyline Drive/Luray Caverns GTG Oct 12, 2013

brheas

SM 2017
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
I am proposing a get together on Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park) Saturday October 12th, 2013.

Details are fluid at this point in time. I will update this first post with more details as more reply's and ideas are posted.

Here is the initial plan:

Meet at the Byrd Visitor Center which is located at mile marker 51 on Skyline Drive at 11am for a meet and greet, then head to Big Meadows Lodge for lunch. After lunch we could cruise to Luray Caverns for a cavern tour and look around the shops and cavern area.

Rather than eating at the Big Meadows Lodge, we could also do a picnic at one of the picnic areas located close to Big Meadows where everyone volunteers to bring something needed. I know from previous experience that all of the picnic areas are first come first serve basis. Some are covered, some are not. Being the 1st week of October, it could be quite cool in the morning. If we are planning on doing this, all of the times will slide forward, meeting at the picnic area around 10am so we can get a good (hopefully covered) spot.

Meet at Luray Caverns at 11am. Do a meet and great in the parking lot, then go on the caverns tour. After the caverns tour, if skyline drive is open, we can head back to Skyline drive, hit the Byrd visitor center, then cruise south as a group to ms38w's house for snacks and beverages. If Skyline drive is not open, we can find a place to eat in Luray, hit Wal Mart for some snacks and beverages, then head to MS38w house.

Cost for entrance into Shenandoah National Park is $15/vehicle for a pass that is good for 7 days. An annual pass in also available for $30.

Cost for the caverns tour is $24/adult $12 for children ages 6-12. If we get 20 or more people, we are eligible for group rate of $15.50/adult & $7.50 for children.

Attendees:

02 Z71 + 1
ms38w
Torenhire
Calicak89

If you have an FRS radio, bring it along. We normally use them while we are cruising to keep in touch. I have two of them so I have one I can lend to someone.

Sorry everyone. I just remembered today that I have a big commitment that I cannot miss on Oct 5 so I changed the date to Oct 12th

Cool, the 12th should be fine for me as well, put me down!

The lady is tentative right now, she was planning on going home for a concert and visiting friends in October and I have a feeling if I say she is going, it'll fall on this weekend.

ms38w said:
I'm still in, by the way  :p

(y)

Look forward to finally meeting you and checking out your truck!

Right now my paintball squad is 1 game back from being in the top 2 and qualifying for the league championship.  If we make the championship, it is OCT, 12, so I can't commit for sureuntil the Sunday before.

Calicak89 said:
Right now my paintball squad is 1 game back from being in the top 2 and qualifying for the league championship.  If we make the championship, it is OCT, 12, so I can't commit for sureuntil the Sunday before.

You could always just crash the party  :p

Quick bump!

Two weekends left until this happens - also maybe invite the WVA Folks? They aren't too far away from the area, maybe a bit much for a day trip but who knows?

West Virginia!?  :E:  What the heck er you thankin' Earl?  :beating:

Hey...any one that wants to hang out, talk shop and cruise around is welcome as far as I'm concerned.  (y)  But ya' gotta brang that ther derned Avalanche witchya!

It's about the same distance from Hampshire county WV as it is from me here in DC, not that unreasonable!

02 Z71 said:
OK, I posted the link to the GTG in the WV section  :wave:

Brian, that is the same day as Avalanche Pizza in Athens, OH. So we won't be able to make this one. Already have the room booked and what not. I hope you guys have a great time!  (y)

4x4dreamer said:
Brian, that is the same day as Avalanche Pizza in Athens, OH. So we won't be able to make this one. Already have the room booked and what not. I hope you guys have a great time!  (y)

No problem Ian, the Avalanche Pizza GTG to too long of a drive for me.

ms38w said:
Nooo Wayyy!  There's more than one "Ian" on this site?  OK.  New Nation...the "Ian  Nation!"...  Who's with me? 

I suppose I am in  >:D And Brian, I understand the drive!!! It's only a few hours from Morgantown, so it isn't all that bad for me. Hope to see you at WVWWWXII  :B:

I don't mean to put a damper on what seems like an awesome time, but correct me if I am wrong.  Skyline drive runs through Shenandoah National Park, which charges admission.  Will the park be open with the gov't shut down?  I have no problem driving around a gate, but some others might, and (don't crucify me for saying this) my av doesn't go off-road.
This seem like just another case of our elected officials f-ing up another good thing.

Didn't think of that.  I know several out posts are closed, but I fugured the road would be open.  Good lookin' out, my friend....

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Federal-Government-Shutdown-Causes-Skyline-Drive-to-Close-226044641.html

Quick...plan "B"

As of a few weeks ago, Peaks of Otter was still open.  They have a decent restaurant.  Mabry Mill was open...crappy restaurant, but Chateau Morrisette is just down the road and they have a great restaurant and nice winery.   There are also a few picnic areas that are open.

Winery Info...
http://www.thedogs.com/

Sunday Brunch is absolutely FANTASTIC!...as is every other meal they serve any day of the week.

Saturday has an event...
http://www.thedogs.com/events/black-dog-wine-beach-music-festival.html

Back