• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Codes P0351 and P0300

keensali

I have done a pile of searching. Yes, there is never ending information on the P0300 code, but I was not able to find much on the P0351. Allow me to expand....

Truck seemed to lack some power for a while. Still got going fine, but not as snappy as I remember. I have had a string of issues with it unrelated to engine stuff. While heading home one day, had to go up a 2 mile steep hill. It really didn't want to get going and had to have it "kicked down"  for the whole hill. Got over the top and soon after I started noticing what I describe as a miss in the engine. Ran rough.
Continued howeward, got to within 3 miles of home and it was running really ruff and the check engine light started flashing. Gimped it home and left it running to go and grab my OBDII reader. By the time I came back from the garage, the truck was idling better and the light was off.
Still hooked the reader up and got P0351 in Pending Codes. Display shows "Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction". Did some reading and figured it may be the coil on #1. If I read right, sitting in the drivers seat, #1 should be the closest cylinder to the rad/front end on the drivers side. So I swapped the coil with the one directly across the engine on the passenger side. Cleared the codes and ran the truck again. Came up with P0351 again. So swapped plug wires as well, same code again.
At this point, I figured it could be the plug. Off I went and put in new plugs(NGK TR55 #3951 gapped to 50). Old Denso plugs all looked very good.Cleared the codes and ran it again. P0351 and P0300.
Guess I am stumped by the P0351. Either I have targeted the wrong cylinder to trade coils or there is a logical issue that my simple brain is missing.
As a side note, the truck did not run much for a 3 week period due to the sunroof glass BLOWING OFF!!! So I had to park it under a cover and am still working on the sunroof repair. I put some fuel treatment/injection cleaner in the tank and have gone around the block here hoping to run some of that fuel to the front in case the old stuff was a bit stale.
Fire away at me with ideas. I understand the converter(s) could be plugged, but wonder if that could flag a coil code....

Is the engine misfiring presently? If not, the problem is likely intermittent. Try wiggle testing the wiring at the #1 coil and along the wiring harness to the PCM. If manipulating the wiring causes the misfire to surface, repair the wiring problem. Check for poor connection at the coil connector. Verify the harness isn't misrouted or chafing on anything. Repair as necessary
If the engine is misfiring presently, stop the engine and disconnect the #1 coil wiring connector. Then start the engine and check for a driver signal to the #1 coil. Using a scope will give you a visual pattern to observe, but since most people don't have access to one there's an easier way. Use a Voltmeter in AC Hertz scale and see if there's a Hz reading of between 5 and 20 or so that indicates the driver is working. If there is a Hertz signal, then replace the #1 ignition coil. It's likely bad. If you don't detect any frequency signal from the PCM on the ignition coil driver circuit indicating the PCM is grounding/ungrounding the circuit (or there is no visible pattern on the scope if you have one) then leave the coil disconnected and check for DC voltage on the driver circuit at the ignition coil connector. If there is any significant voltage on that wire then there is a short to voltage somewhere. Find the short and repair it. If there is no voltage on the driver circuit, then turn the ignition off. Disconnect the PCM connector and check the continuity of the driver between the PCM and the coil. If there is no continuity repair the open or short to ground in the circuit. If continuity is present, then check for resistance between ground and the ignition coil connector. There should be infinite resistance. If there isn't, repair the short to ground in the coil driver circuit NOTE: If the ignition coil driver signal wire is not open or shorted to voltage or ground and there is no trigger signal to the coil then suspect a faulty PCM coil driver. Also keep in mind that if the PCM driver is at fault, there may be a wiring problem that caused the PCM failure. It's a good idea to do the above check after PCM replacement to verify there won't be a repeat failure. If you find that the engine isn't misfiring, the coil is being triggered properly but P0351 is continually being reset, there is the possibility that the PCM coil monitoring system may be faulty.

Back