• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best WARRANTIED engine/torque/go fast mods for 07 and up????

Hanz Groober

PM 2013
Fellow Lanchers:

I'm a total noob and I hope I'm doing this right....... I've got a question that I'm sure has probably been asked, but I can't find it asked in this way or from this angle:

What are your guys' thoughts on go fast upgrades for Avalanche 07 and newer that would be deemed "warrantee-able"(my word)  ???..... Upgrades that would make the truck better in the "go fast department", but not cause a problem with the dealership if I had "a problem" with the rig.....

There's lots of great reading on here about "upgrades", but I haven't seen anything from the "don't break warranty" angle talked about.....and I know the warranty thing is "subject to interpretation" in some regards, so I get that..... If I'm missing somewhere where this question has been posed IN THIS WAY(warranty)please just send me there.

I guess I should tell ya: 2013 Avalanche, 6 inch Fabtech lift(dealer installed), and 34 inch tires. The OBVIOUS "go faster mod" would be gears, and I'm on it, but other thoughts?

Thanks,
Total Noob

.......and for the record, i DID read the "Read before you post here" thread..... Sounds like new dumbasses(like me?) pose lots of "regurgitated questions".... So hopefully I'm not "that guy", I just can't find my question asked on here anywhere from the "keep your warranty angle"..... And again, if it IS on here somewhere, please just help me find WHERE!!! There's alot to this forum(which is what makes it GREAT) and its hard to make sure your not being"that guy" that regurgitates questions.....

So hopefully this will cause discussion/debate and not ME getting my ass chewed for posing a question for the umpteenth time like some dumb Noob.....

Thanks,
Super Noob

Nope your not "that guy" who regurgitates questions, you're "that guy" who worries too much about regurgitating questions  :laugh:

With the warranty I'm assuming its a standard one where you can't do anything they would consider "permanent" meaning no cutting or altering anything stock in a major way. At least those are the kinds I've only ever had. If you do an upgrade just keep the stock parts, if you replace something not allowed just switch it back before you take it in. For the most part you'll be looking at bolt on stuff. I'm not sure what all go fast stuff you could put on the ol AV, when I think go fast my mind goes straight to turbos and shots of nitrous :) which would definitely void a warranty of any kind haha.

Anyways  :welcome: and how are you liking your new AV so far?

Hahaha. Yeah, sorry. I've tried a Gun forum once and the guys were all just A-holes about "Noobs" posting on their forum.... Just RUDE! Guess that stuck with me a little. Hahaha.

I guess I was wondering about things like KandN filters, Computer "chips", etc. Smaller "plug n play" upgrades like that, but that have an effect.... I got no problem spending $500 on a computer "chip" or upgrade like that, but do you really "feel" it..... Ya know what I mean?? Or looking for any "Hey DON'T do this" advice from guys that maybe have messed with the computer only to find out it makes the motor "ping" without 92 octane gasoline..... Little stuff like that. I have no illusions that the 5.3 is ever going to be "fast", but if I can do little stuff here and there to help me in the passing lane, I'm all over that!

Dig the Avalanche!!! Rides like a frickin' luxury car, not a lifted truck. It's just always been "the perfect truck" for us(Had an 05 before this one). I tell my wife its a "SUCK"(SUV/truck).

Thanks for the welcome!!!!

Hanz Groober said:
Hahaha. Yeah, sorry. I've tried a Gun forum once and the guys were all just A-holes about "Noobs" posting on their forum.... Just RUDE! Guess that stuck with me a little. Hahaha.

M4carbine, I'm guessing.  ARFkom would be a close second for noob-bashing douchebaggery.

So, I'm wayyyyyy digging up a dead post here, but I searched gears and this is the first post that came up.

So question, have you done anything "go fast," to the truck? I also saw you post on another one that you have a lifted lanche with 34's. I have 34's on a leveled lanche, and it just doesn't seem to have the pickup that I want. I don't really care too much about gas mileage, as I bought a v8 and plan to use it as such. But, my gas mileage now is horrendous, and my wife's ram with the hemi walks my poor old lanche. I have an 08, but I've done the recent service to it to make sure it's not fuel and motor that needed a push. It honestly just seems to be slow.

Now, like you said, I don't expect a 12 second truck. But when I hit the gas, I don't feel anything. I don't expect it to be fast, but something would be nice. But it all came down to a sierra.

I work at a repair shop. Corporate guy came in, dropped off his sierra with 120k on it. Pretty much the same truck, except his tires are stock and mine are bigger, and his mileage is 40k higher than mine. When I hit the gas, that thing took off. It wasn't a denali, wasn't a big tow package, just a crew cab truck with nothing special about it and it was a daily driver. Literally nothing special. I have a CAI, Exhaust, and a couple of other bolt ons, and I have a quarter of the torque. After the tune up, I assumed that it was just that the lanche is so much heavier in the ass end.

But then I started thinking. Has anyone changed their gears to 4.11's? Have you enjoyed the torque-y increase? Has it had a torque-y increase? Am I beating a dead horse? Stay tuned.....

Please though, any help would be appreciated.

You should be able to go with 4.10 then a custom tune.

BTW what year was the Corporate guy truck.

2008 with a 5.3. Just like mine. And would I need a tune to run the 4.10's or can I just pop the 4.10's in and call it a day?

Whenever you change the gear ratio you have to have it reprogrammed or else you will run it other problems like the speedo being way off.

I just installed a set of 4.11s and a true trac in the rear in my '07.  I also have installed a new 4L70e trans, and slightly higher stall converter which is from the trailblazer ss.  My truck has 198k of hard miles on the 5.3, and over the last couple of years it feels like my original 315hp is down to about 270.  First thing I noticed is a dramatic increase in acceleration at full throttle, however part throttle driving was pretty poor.  It was up shifting too  soon, and took a lot of throttle to downshift.  So, I bought HP tuners to do some work on the trans calibration.  It is not just as simple as "recalibrate" the speedo because of the four wheel speed sensors and transmission rpm sensor, all of those have to be close or traction and stabilitrac will go into error.  Additionally, the e series transmissions are shifted via a table of throttle percent verses MPH.  So, there is quite a bit of tweaking to get the combination to hold the gears desired, and not be lugging around a corner in third gear.  Overall I am quite pleased with the 4.11, but the true trac is simply amazing.  There is not clicking or banging around turns, and under power both wheels absolutely go.  I have the g80 limited in my 2500HD, and it sucks compared to the true trac.  My HD will be getting a true trac before next winter.

Back