• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

WV WWW XII discussion

GoldBowTie

Regional Coord.
Charter Member
SM 2003
WVWWW XII

I'm looking for suggestions, ideas and opinions for next year's (2014) West Virginia Wild-n-Wonderful Weekend #12.

Let's discuss it here, and once a date and location are determined, the GTG thread can be started.

How about something new? - Tygart Lake
Tried and true? North Bend
Or the longest time since we've returned? - Pipestem

LOCATIONS map

Or maybe you have a new idea for a place we have not yet tried?
www.wvstateparks.com

Check your schedules to see what works for you.
I'm thinking late February - early March.

So, what do y'all think?  :help:

Past locations for your reference:
2003 Pipestem
2004 Twin Falls
2005 North Bend
2006 Pipestem
2007 North Bend
2008 Blackwater Falls
2009 Summersville
2010 North Bend
2011 Blackwater Falls
2012 Oglebay
2013 Twin Falls

I would love to do a Summersville trip again...but it would have to be later in the spring...

Tygart Lake would be something new.

With all the stuff we have going on and with school...it is hard for us to make a long trip.

Somewhere in the middle would be appreciated so that we can make it there.

Tygart Lake does look interesting. The website says that the cabins are open mid April - December so we would have to made the gtg after the cabins open? I have been by the park plenty of times but have never been in the park as far as I can remember. I don't see any information on the cabin layouts so a scouting trip might be required. I would be will to do that if there is enough interest.

BigBlockBirch said:
I would love to do a Summersville trip again...but it would have to be later in the spring...
I would guess Summersville would be after May?

BigBlockBirch said:
In the middle of the state?

02 Z71 said:
Tygart Lake does look interesting. The website says that the cabins are open mid April - December so we would have to made the gtg after the cabins open? I have been by the park plenty of times but have never been in the park as far as I can remember. I don't see any information on the cabin layouts so a scouting trip might be required. I would be will to do that if there is enough interest.
If Tygart ends up being the preferred location, then we would have to make the date for when the cabins are available.
If you want to scout it, that would be great.
I thought about doing that too if there is interest in having the GTG there.
Not sure who is closer - it is about 202 miles and 3:30 for me.

GoldBowTie said:
Not sure who is closer - it is about 202 miles and 3:30 for me.

It's 148 miles, 3 hrs for me.

Sounds like a nice day trip on the bike when we have a nice day when the leaves are changing :cool:

We aren't picky.  Any of them would work for us.  Have you looked at Hawk's Nest?  It in the New River Gorge area.  I haven't looked at the park offerings other than to know that it is one of the parks with a lodge.

--OldVMer

I could possibly convince MzBBB to take the GXP for a ride down there... It's only 1h 38m (85 miles)...

Let me see if she chimes in...

2013-06-20183819_zpsceb3dea5.jpg

Looks like MzBBB and I are going to make a run down to Tygart on Sunday for our Anniversary. 

Hopefully it will be warm enough that she will go topless...  Ouuuuuuuch!!!!   

MzBBB  :beating: BBB

If there is anything specific you want us to check into, let me know.

BigBlockBirch said:

Tygart Lake would be something new.

With all the stuff we have going on and with school...it is hard for us to make a long trip.

I am not picky about where we go either, I just like hanging out  :love: BUT The Summersville GTG was a great gtg  (y) Nice cruising opprotunities to the Gorge and Hawks Nest as well. There is also an old Battlefield and a newly constructed lighthouse on the lake. It will push back a few months until warmer weather, but warmer weather gtg's have their pro's as well! Like BBB, if anyone needs any specifics about anything else around the campsite or things that weren't there last time just let me know and I can gather things up. I wann't very prepared for the cruise last time, so we missed out on some cooler local things.

BigBlockBirch said:
Looks like MzBBB and I are going to make a run down to Tygart on Sunday for our Anniversary.  

Hopefully it will be warm enough that she will go topless...  Ouuuuuuuch!!!!    

MzBBB  :beating: BBB

If there is anything specific you want us to check into, let me know.
Check cabin size and location to each other in case we need more than one cabin.
Also, things to do nearby.
Thank you.

I know it is a while away, and I couldn't attend this year, I heard it was a good time, but I would def. be down for one of the more northern locations, like Tygart or North Bend.  I may be building a new house, depending on the wife of course, so don't weigh my opinion very heavily, but I would def. like to make it if possible

OK...here is what I found out...

Cabins are not available until Mid April...so we would have to plan accordingly.

There are 4  Lake View cabins in walking distance from each other.  One that sleeps 6, three that sleep 4 (I think)

2013-10-05113421_zps0bade673.jpg

2013-10-05113052_zpsab408e17.jpg

There is a playground across the street.

That early in the season, there really isn't much to do around there.  Closest thing is about 30 mins.

Lodge is small but nice...Boston Beanery Restaurant looks good.

IMG_20131005_103512_045_zps9ea6590b.jpg

IMG_20131005_103441_949_zps02f78684.jpg

I have a contact for the Group Reservations.

I am guessing the first thing we need to do is decide if this will be a good destination and the timing will work.

Here is MzBBB's GXP soaking up the sun, Topless...

2013-10-05111725_zpsb1518082.jpg

2013-10-05111833_zps8c7cd352.jpg

Thank you for the photos.

It looks like it might work.
But I don't want to wait until mid April to do the GTG.  :cautious:

Hopefully more will reply with opinions and preferred dates.

If you do Tygart Lake after the cabins (and campground) opens, there is a (slight?) chance we could make it. It's already a long drive for us; if you go much farther South, the odds of us making it drop off quickly. And if it's at a time when campsites aren't open, the odds become virtually zero.

But that's just us, you've got to do what works for the group as a whole.

If it doesn't work out for a WVWWW, maybe it'll work for a general camping GTG later in the season? ???

-- SS

ShapeShifter said:
If you do Tygart Lake after the cabins (and campground) opens, there is a (slight?) chance we could make it. It's already a long drive for us; if you go much farther South, the odds of us making it drop off quickly. And if it's at a time when campsites aren't open, the odds become virtually zero.

If it doesn't work out for a WVWWW, maybe it'll work for a general camping GTG later in the season? ???

-- SS

The great thing about the Campground is it is right down the street from the cabins (Walking distance)

Here are the details:

Cabins opens April 11th
Campground opens April 18th (Checking to see if they will let SS in early)

Cabin Sizes and Pricing (2 nights):
1 Bedroom - $259.42
2 Bedroom (Can add two Cots) - $281.22
3 Bedroom (Can add two Cots) - $303.02

There is a cluster of 4 Cabins within walking distance.  The others are about a 5 min walk.

$200 deposit needed (or one cabin reserved)
Cancellation: 1 month ($20 Fee)
5% discount on 5 cabin rentals

We should probably decide what we want to do.  This is the weekend before Easter.

Let me know your thoughts.

BigBlockBirch said:
Campground opens April 18th (Checking to see if they will let SS in early)
That would be interesting to know, but the site availability is only part of the equation. When we went to the 2008Blackwater Falls weekend (April 11 to 14) we ran into snow on the way in Maryland, and had a couple inches of heavy wet snow on the rig when we went to break camp.

I don't like driving the heavy rig in icy conditions. :eek: (40,000 pounds skidding down a narrow twisty mountain road is no fun.)

I don't want the bottom of it to get covered in salt. :9: (You can't just take it through a car wash.)

I don't like breaking camp when covered in a layer of heavy snow or ice.  (n) (It makes it very difficult to bring in the slides, and it's not easy brushing off the snow or scraping the windows.)

So weather is a very important consideration for us, and GBT's goal of late February to early March won't work for us. That's why I said:

ShapeShifter said:

Don't go to extremes to accommodate us, do what's right for the greater good.  (y)

Besides, it's way too early for us to commit to this, even if it's in the perfect location and time period. :cautious:

-- SS

ShapeShifter said:
That would be interesting to know, but the site availability is only part of the equation.
Don't go to extremes to accommodate us, do what's right for the greater good.  (y)

Besides, it's way too early for us to commit to this, even if it's in the perfect location and time period. :cautious:

-- SS

Just finding out our options.

That date is really the only one in April that we could make...

April 18th is Easter
April 25th I will be Utah

Let's see what we come up with.

Although I would rather do this GTG earlier, I am not opposed to April 11-13.

But, I know at least one member who can't come on Palm Sunday (the 13th.)
Also, early April could conflict with the annual Michigan Cabela's GTG - if that one continues.

I suggest if there is interest in Tygart Lake, maybe we plan a camping/cabin GTG there around June?
And find a park that is open in early March for WWW 12.

We do have some time to figure it out.
I will ask the folks during Avalanche Pizza this Saturday.

Blackwater Falls is open March 1st

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/rates.htm

GoldBowTie said:
I suggest if there is interest in Tygart Lake, maybe we plan a camping/cabin GTG there around June?
(y)  (y)  (y)

Is this topic dead?
I'm thinking North Bend, weekend of March 14-16.
But I am not going to reserve a cabin until I get some definite attendees to split the cost.

Back