Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower the back end  (Read 1162 times)

dna9656

Lower the back end
« on: May 19, 2018, 20:07:51 PM »

What's involved in lowering the back end to level the 06 Avi ?
More info on my Avi; It's a '06 Z71, everything suspension wise is stock. My wife has a little bit of trouble getting UP into the truck at it's stock height So raising the front end isn't our first choice. We're getting older, we love the Avi; it's just a little hard for her and I'm prolly not far behind.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:49:28 AM by dna9656 »
2006 Chevy Avalanche,Z71, Upgraded to 4L65 E 2007 Standard 17" Chevy wheels but not the right year or style, new tires, exhaust, U joints, shocks, rear axle bearings and seals. New Driver's seat belt.  2007 Chrysler Sebring, 7  Yamaha motorcycles 6 Venture Royales 1 Road Star, 2 run, others for parts. 2 dachshunds, 1 house. 1 wife.

Vaeagleav

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
Re: Lower the back end
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 20:30:48 PM »

There are many threads dealing with suspension mods in that section you may want to read the options available. It can vary depending on which model AV you are referring too such as the base model or if it's a Z66 or especially an LTZ model with the self leveling suspension that has an air compressor and sensors etc.
Many members level their AV with raising the front end instead of lowering the rear. Others raise both the front and rear different amounts to become level. Then the last option is to lower both front and rear different amounts to become level. Most aftermarket suspension companies sell kits to either raise or lower the AV. Depending on the amount of lift or lowering you may have to change shocks and springs, if done in a small amount you may not have to buy all the parts mentioned.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:18:15 AM »

most just rais the front end to level out.

See here:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=188.0
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

dna9656

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »

most just rais the front end to level out.

See here:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=188.0
It's too high for us now, raising it higher will only compound the issue. Thanks for your response!
2006 Chevy Avalanche,Z71, Upgraded to 4L65 E 2007 Standard 17" Chevy wheels but not the right year or style, new tires, exhaust, U joints, shocks, rear axle bearings and seals. New Driver's seat belt.  2007 Chrysler Sebring, 7  Yamaha motorcycles 6 Venture Royales 1 Road Star, 2 run, others for parts. 2 dachshunds, 1 house. 1 wife.

Vaeagleav

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »

Thanks for updating your post and providing more info on your AV and the reason for changing things.
Instead of changing the suspension you might want to look for other solutions. My wife has mobility issues and needs help getting in our AV even with the Z71 side steps.
We use a portable step stool and have tied a nylon web strap to it and have the other end hang over the door handle so once she climbs in she can pull the step up to her and we can fold the legs up and stow the whole thing behind her seat and deploy when needed.
Here are some styles available and they do work in wet weather with no slip.
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Anti-slip-Lightweight-Motorhome-NORDSD/dp/B0758D22B7/ref=sr_1_9_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526831703&sr=8-9-spons&keywords=collapsible+step+stool&psc=1
This one is slightly more expensive but very heavy duty and will hold up well:
http://www.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/step-stools/folding-step-stool/cat70102/X1228?&navAction=push&navCount=0

2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

dna9656

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »

Thanks for updating your post and providing more info on your AV and the reason for changing things.
Instead of changing the suspension you might want to look for other solutions. My wife has mobility issues and needs help getting in our AV even with the Z71 side steps.
We use a portable step stool and have tied a nylon web strap to it and have the other end hang over the door handle so once she climbs in she can pull the step up to her and we can fold the legs up and stow the whole thing behind her seat and deploy when needed.
Here are some styles available and they do work in wet weather with no slip.
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Anti-slip-Lightweight-Motorhome-NORDSD/dp/B0758D22B7/ref=sr_1_9_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526831703&sr=8-9-spons&keywords=collapsible+step+stool&psc=1
This one is slightly more expensive but very heavy duty and will hold up well:
http://www.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/step-stools/folding-step-stool/cat70102/X1228?&navAction=push&navCount=0

Thanks for the reply! What I had in mind was a mounted (to the truck) fold away step or (what I'd rather have) would be to lower the back end of the truck. Some other replies pointed me to other posts... I did a search, I got every post with the word "lower", rear end, suspension, etc... and so on but there is apparently no way to go to a post that talks about lowering the back end of my Avi without looking at every post with the key words in it. There has to be a better way. Possibly looking at the websites of the companies that offer frame modification kits....

Randy

• Charter Member
  • I charge more than a buck$
02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP

old skool

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »

Swapping out the rear springs for shorter ones will level it. That's what I did.
Ebony 2007 LS

dna9656

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 13:00:17 PM »

How does that affect shock travel or bump stop height/bottoming out?

old skool

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 17:12:08 PM »

How does that affect shock travel or bump stop height/bottoming out?
I'm not going to say that there is no difference, but I don't notice any. I kept the factory size shocks. I think that I read, if you go any shorter than 3 inches, you have to use shock extenders. 2 inches will pretty much come to level height. My new springs did come with shorter bump stops tho'.
Ebony 2007 LS

MyBigToy

• Too much power is just enough!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 18:22:31 PM »

I swapped to progressive rate 2" lowering springs on the back of my 02 pretty early on, cut the bumps stops shorter, and ran it like that for a couple of years. Didn't like the way it rode so I added shock extension brackets and rear link lowering brackets. I was much happier then.

Belltech makes a full rear lowering kit. You might pm or email member Z66 Butch for specifics as I believe he had the kit on 2 different Avy's.
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, custom metal rear step bumper. Best vehicle I have owned to date!

Daily driver: 2012 Centennial edition 4LT Grand Sport Corvette convertible

Calicak89

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 20:34:32 PM »

Rear drop is a piece of cake, I dropped mine 2.5 in the rear using progressive rate springs and shock extenders like MyBigToy did.
You jack it up under the axle, place stands under the body, unbolt the lower end of the shock and swaybar end links, lower the axle, pull the stock springs out, slip the new ones in, bolt up the extenders, raise it up till you can re-attach the shocks and end links, set her down and you're good to go.
Getting short swaybar end links is probably not needed, but i got 1 1/2" shorter ones just to keep the bar ends pretty close to level. Changing out the bump stops is advisable as well. I cut mine shorter at first, but ended up getting ones that were basically a hockey puck.
2013 Black LTZ
2008 Judson Green LT
Way too many mods to list here
2005 Silver Birch Metallic (former)

grnxnam

• CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member
  • Pastafarian
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 21:18:14 PM »

Drop springs. Takes about an hour your first time and not rushing.  Unless you have a z66 with the load leveling shocks, you'll be ok with a 2-3" drop. Shouldn't have to swap anything else.
Jesus wasn't white, so why does he look like Kid Rock on a cross?"

dna9656

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »

I believe my truck has rear leaf springs, all the kits show Coils....

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 18:14:47 PM »

You may want to look at the rear suspension again.
2003 2500

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »

I believe my truck has rear leaf springs, all the kits show Coils....
ONly 2500 had leaf springs
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 26 queries.