Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 30  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wyotonka build thread  (Read 144187 times)

wyotonka

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • WyoTonka
Re: Wyotonka build thread
« Reply #575 on: February 25, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »

ok solid! say most people are using cree now days and so does rigid but rigid uses 5w instead of 3w LED's also they have done a ton! of R&D according to the guy at the off road shop a 10'' single row rigid will be brighter then a 24'' double row of another brand I can't rememeber the exact ones they had in there though
I cant justify spending that much on a light bar when I could get 2  24" for the price of one of rigids 10"

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #576 on: February 25, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »

I cant justify spending that much on a light bar when I could get 2  24" for the price of one of rigids 10"
hey im not blaming you i'm the same way haha I hope to get one 10'' single row for the grill gaurd but thats it
Current mods
Cb radio, 40" curved led bar, torsion keys, raptor lights, rear bed LEDs, plasti dipped avalanche logos interior power bar bow tie, 12,000lb (going in steel bumper) 2 led cubes leveling kit magnaflow exhaust
Future mods,
35" Goodyear wranglers mtr's, covering seat covers, upgraded front rotors, steel bumper (deigning it now), led cubes (ordered), front bench seat, subs, rear 2" spacers, 6" lift (after college) projector headlights, led tail lights

Dluvr22

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
« Reply #577 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »

Somebody at Rigid Industries need to take a class in Economics. We all would buy Rigid Industries products if the price was right.
I'm not saying there stuff is not better because it is however if their prices were in line with our pockets, they would sell more products and still recoup the costs of their investment and these cheaper brands will not have as great a market share in the light bar industry as they do now.
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,124979.0.html

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #578 on: February 25, 2015, 13:07:31 PM »

Somebody at Rigid Industries need to take a class in Economics. We all would buy Rigid Industries products if the price was right.
I'm not saying there stuff is not better because it is however if their prices were in line with our pockets, they would sell more products and still recoup the costs of their investment and these cheaper brands will not have as great a market share in the light bar industry as they do now.
The way I see it is my cheap 50" can go out 9 times and still be under the cost of a rigid.

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #579 on: February 25, 2015, 14:08:21 PM »

The way I see it is my cheap 50" can go out 9 times and still be under the cost of a rigid.
And that's where I'm at with it if there light bars were only like 150% of this even they would be far worth it!
Current mods
Cb radio, 40" curved led bar, torsion keys, raptor lights, rear bed LEDs, plasti dipped avalanche logos interior power bar bow tie, 12,000lb (going in steel bumper) 2 led cubes leveling kit magnaflow exhaust
Future mods,
35" Goodyear wranglers mtr's, covering seat covers, upgraded front rotors, steel bumper (deigning it now), led cubes (ordered), front bench seat, subs, rear 2" spacers, 6" lift (after college) projector headlights, led tail lights

Dluvr22

« Reply #580 on: February 25, 2015, 14:12:13 PM »

Hey Wyotonka
I like your idea of putting amber back lighting in there.
This way you can actually use your light bar(s) daily as an amber running light and put the white ones on only when you need it.
That alone makes the light bar more practical.
Why didn't I think of that?
Computer installed in vehicle. Rancho 9000 with MyRide controller. Krylon fusion on cladding. K&N intake. Dual battery mod to be completed soon............

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #581 on: February 25, 2015, 14:25:52 PM »

Hey Wyotonka
I like your idea of putting amber back lighting in there.
This way you can actually use your light bar(s) daily as an amber running light and put the white ones on only when you need it.
That alone makes the light bar more practical.
Why didn't I think of that?

I figured it would look like a huge cab light  :4: I have found 50" light bar halos but they are expensive and I cant find amber  :thumbdown: I was going to contact you actually to see if you had any Ideas how they are making these?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 14:31:13 PM by wyotonka »

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #582 on: February 25, 2015, 14:54:33 PM »

I figured it would look like a huge cab light  :4: I have found 50" light bar halos but they are expensive and I cant find amber  :thumbdown: I was going to contact you actually to see if you had any Ideas how they are making these?

i have debated with playing with these gettin some surface mount leds and just solder them one to the next and put them on a thin piece of plastic
Current mods
Future mods,

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #583 on: February 25, 2015, 16:02:12 PM »

i have debated with playing with these gettin some surface mount leds and just solder them one to the next and put them on a thin piece of plastic
I honestly don't know much about soldering circuits, Its all a new realm for me. I am determined to learn though.

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #584 on: February 25, 2015, 17:03:00 PM »

I honestly don't know much about soldering circuits, Its all a new realm for me. I am determined to learn though.
Me too especially for the price there asking for them!
Current mods
Future mods,

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #585 on: February 26, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »

So, It wont look like a halo like the above ones. I found a side emitting strip that measures just under an 1/8" wide and a little over 1/64" tall, I think I should be able to put these on top of the reflectors around the edges and it should shine into the cups. All this is complete theory since I haven't dealt with side emitting strips before.

I also ran across the 5050smd strip aluminum housings. I think that these will give my big rig bars a cleaner look and protect them from the elements. I'm thinking if I go with a frosted lens that it should eliminate all of the dots from the leds. I could just run the wire from looming out of there and eliminate ice buildup.

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #586 on: February 26, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »

That's looking pretty cool not sure how your going to mount them so that they do that but cool!
Current mods
Future mods,

Dluvr22

« Reply #587 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »

Right now I'm frozen in and not doing much to my truck but it would be a cool idea to tackle as soon as it gets warmer. I'm thinking more of a glow effect in the light bar rather seeing the LEDs around it like a halo but that works too All of it is dependent upon if you can actually take the light bar apart. I know I halfheartedly tried on mine and even the glass lens was silicone in place making it hard to get inside it to mod the spot and fog light beams on a separate circuit as I had initially planned. We'll see though.

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #588 on: February 26, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »

Mine has the allen screws all the way around, I have found one diy attempt to make it glow but they had to do some heavy modification that if something were to happen would be expensive to correct. which involved trimming the edges off of the reflector cups and is reportedly not that bright.

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #589 on: February 26, 2015, 15:57:55 PM »

I'm hoping with the side emitting strip to achieve the glow effect due to their smaller size they might fit between the lens and the reflectors. The only amber side emitting strips I could find I had to order from china so now I'm at the mercy of the slow boat.

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #590 on: February 26, 2015, 16:11:10 PM »

I'm hoping with the side emitting strip to achieve the glow effect due to their smaller size they might fit between the lens and the reflectors. The only amber side emitting strips I could find I had to order from china so now I'm at the mercy of the slow boat.
Have you thought about EL wire?
like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291097266833?lpid=82&chn=ps
I bet it would glue or something right in there amd its super thin gives out 360 degree light and different colors
Current mods
Future mods,

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #591 on: February 26, 2015, 21:21:30 PM »

Have you thought about EL wire?
like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291097266833?lpid=82&chn=ps
I bet it would glue or something right in there amd its super thin gives out 360 degree light and different colors
I have thought about it but wasn't sure how bright it would be...

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #592 on: February 27, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »

I have thought about it but wasn't sure how bright it would be...
I have one and it's pretty bright I might have to try it
Current mods
Future mods,

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #593 on: February 27, 2015, 08:01:13 AM »

I have one and it's pretty bright I might have to try it
let me know how it turns out, I ordered the side emitting ones and have decided I wont be ordering anymore from over there while I'm in this house. They are scheduled to show up march 24th and The offer I received last night  :4: contingently closes on the 27th. I did do a counter as it was lower than I am hoping for, but I have good feelings about it.  :thumbsup:

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #594 on: February 27, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »

let me know how it turns out, I ordered the side emitting ones and have decided I wont be ordering anymore from over there while I'm in this house. They are scheduled to show up march 24th and The offer I received last night  :4: contingently closes on the 27th. I did do a counter as it was lower than I am hoping for, but I have good feelings about it.  :thumbsup:
We will have another Coloradan!!!! Yay! Just in time for me to be moving to wyoming haha But also you can forward your mail to your new adress
Current mods
Future mods,

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #595 on: February 27, 2015, 08:31:51 AM »

We will have another Coloradan!!!! Yay! Just in time for me to be moving to wyoming haha But also you can forward your mail to your new adress
Just avoiding extra stress that I don't need right now  :thumbsup: I don't hold a lot of faith in our mailing system.

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

Dakotawilk

« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »

Just avoiding extra stress that I don't need right now  :thumbsup: I don't hold a lot of faith in our mailing system.
Just a good backup plan but I agree  :beating:
Current mods
Future mods,

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

redheadedrod

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • 2003 Z71
« Reply #598 on: March 5, 2015, 13:55:40 PM »

Why not just get waterproof LED strips and tape them on? That is likely what they are doing with those and you can put them on the exterior of the lights. I am looking at doing something similar inside my headlight buckets. I ordered a 12" LED strip with alternating yellow and white lights to make switchback lights for my headlights. Since I wasn't sure how it would look I only ordered one. They had another one that has twice the density of LED's but it was 20" in length which I believe it too long for straight runs in the headlights..

Anyhow, these new headlights I am building are going to be a project.

Rodney
2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)

wyotonka

• WyoTonka
« Reply #599 on: March 5, 2015, 21:55:16 PM »

They accepted the counter  :D I'm so excited to get things going now. After I move I should be able to start modding again. As far as my new cruiser car, I'm ditching the yellow requirement and looking at the new impalas.

I ordered new housings for my turn signals so I can open them and put in an led strip and get rid of the stock bulb. 

I finished wrapping the tonneaus tonight, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The yellow is slightly lighter so I'm thinking either deal with it or put tinted film over it and have it be darker. It was dark when I put them on so I don't have good pics.

The light bar I'm going to open and put the lights inside I don't want it to look stuck on, I'm diagnosed OCD.  :laugh: those lights are actually ahead of schedule and should be here tomorrow  :thumbsup: if I wind up having them on the outside I'll have to find a way to make it blend.
I am also looking into modding the factory roof rack onto the bed and eliminate the Yakima towers.
I realized yesterday I'm also going to have to build a mounting plate for my 3rd row before I leave. All that is left packing wise is my tools and kitchen. Everything else could fit in one or 2 boxes and be the last ones loaded so they are the first unloaded. Thankfully I'm replacing my living room and office furniture after I move so 1 Uhaul trip should do now.

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 30  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 25 queries.