• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 - 2013 FULL TIME DRL & FULL TIME FOG LAMP MODS (with pics)

DouglasOak

Cruise Coord
SM 2014
SM 2013
SM 2012
SM 2011
I have had a few people request this info so here it is all in one spot.

2007 - 2013 Avalanche Full Time DRL mod and Full Time Fog Lamps mod:

To begin you will need the following:

Soldering Gun & Solder
Small Lengths of 22 gauge wire
2 different colors preferred. (for the instructions I will use white and black)
Electrical Tape or Shrink Tubing
(2) 6 amp diodes
(see link below for suppliers)

(1) First you will want to assemble the diodes and solder the wires to the ends.
(2) Clean the diode ends with flux and solder the white wire to the end with the band on the diode.
(3) Repeat step 2 using black wire on the opposite end.
(4) Use tape or shrink wrap to insulate and protect the soldered ends (I don't tape or cover the diode body itself, to aid in heat dissipation)

After you prep the diodes they should look similar to this...

DIODEPIC.jpg

Now comes the fun part!!!

(1) Open the hood and remove the cover for the Underhood Fuse Center

THE IMAGES BELOW ARE FOR FTDRL ONLY

(2) Remove the relay and insert the wires for FTDRL (note direction of the diode as indicated by the white wire)

FTDRL1.jpg

FTDRL.jpg

THE IMAGES BELOW ARE FOR FULL TIME FOG LAMPS

FTFOGLAMP1.jpg

FTFOGLAMP2.jpg

WHEN YOU ARE DONE IT SHOULD LOOK SOMETHING LIKE THIS

FTDRLANDFOGOVERVIEW.jpg

I have had a hard time finding high quality 6 amp diodes anywhere locally.
I use a different supplier to buy in bulk, but I use the same diodes for everything from these lighting mods, to sail panel light mods to brake light mods.
You may be able to find similar diodes locally, or from another member. (or do a group buy)

You can also try eBay...
CLICK ON THE LINKS FOR INFO

EDITED TITLE

ohiobellboy said:
I thought ChAVey had already done a write up on here for the 2nd gen.  ???

I had to go thru several pages to find an actual pic of where to run the diode, then I realized his original pic shows the wire going to the HORN fuse and not the DRL fuse!!! My neighbors weren't too happy when I turned my lights on.

I had a couple other members request the info so I posted simple pics and directions here.

DouglasOak said:
I had to go thru several pages to find an actual pic of where to run the diode, then I realized his original pic shows the wire going to the HORN fuse and not the DRL fuse!!! My neighbors weren't too happy when I turned my lights on.

I had a couple other members request the info so I posted simple pics and directions here.
(y)

I have searched through the forums and have not found a mod to just have Fogs come on with Low Beam only on my 2012. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

merlin696 said:
I have searched through the forums and have not found a mod to just have Fogs come on with Low Beam only on my 2012. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Isn't that the result ya get by turning headlights on and pushing the fog light button?

Basically I am looking for a way that any time the auto headlights come on (Low Beams) the Fog Lights will come on with them, without pushing the button. I dont have a need for all my lights to be on during the day or any of that stuff I just want automatic fog lights.

merlin696 said:
Basically I am looking for a way that any time the auto headlights come on (Low Beams) the Fog Lights will come on with them, without pushing the button. I dont have a need for all my lights to be on during the day or any of that stuff I just want automatic fog lights.

For auto fog lamps with parking lamps / headlamps / high beams, follow these instructions using only the diode on the left in the picture. Do not use the diode on the right as it is for FT DRL.

As stated the first 2 fuse box pics are for the FT DRL mod,
The 3rd and 4th pics are for FT Fog Lamps.

DouglasOak said:
For autp fog lamps with parking lamps / headlamps / high beams, follow these instructions using only the diode on the left in the picture. Do not use the diose on the right as it is for FT DRL.

As stated the first 2 fuse box pics are for the FT DRL mod,
The 3rd and 4th pics are for FT Fog Lamps.

For confirmation in the image below I only need to do the diode I highlighted in green, I DO NOT need to do the Diode i highlighted in red.

greenred.jpg

merlin696 said:
For confirmation in the image below I only need to do the diode I highlighted in green, I DO NOT need to do the Diode i highlighted in red.

greenred.jpg

Yes sir! That's it. You only need the 1 diode highlighted in green for the Fog Mod.

Merlin,
I'm only gonna say this because some guys' don't know, not because I'm the fog light police..... But you know in some states it's not legal to run fogs full time right? I'd just hate to see a fellow CAFCNA guy get hassled if you go for a road trip. Just FYI, I'm sure your aware of that, and its none of my biddddness..... But in case your not.

Thanks for the heads up, it looks like through a little bit of research in TN they don't care if they are running all the time but if you have more than one pair. So I should be good to go. (y)

DouglasOak said:
I have had a hard time finding high quality 6 amp diodes anywhere locally.
I use a different supplier to buy in bulk, but I use the same diodes for everything from these lighting mods, to sail panel light mods to brake light mods.
You may be able to find similar diodes locally, or from another member. (or do a group buy)

You can also try eBay...
CLICK ON THE LINKS FOR INFO

2x-DIODES-SOLAR-PANEL-6-amp-6A10-6A-1000V-1KV-Axial-Rectifier-Schottky-Blocking

10x-DIODES-SOLAR-PANEL-6-amp-6A10-6A-1000V-1KV-Axial-Rectifier-Schottky-Blocking

FOR THE FT-DRL MOD ONLY!!

If you're the impatient type (like me) and choose to go to Radio Shack (for convenience, not quality) to get your diodes, the largest ones they stock are only rated for 3 amps.  You'll be flowing about 4.2 amps through the circuit. 

That's an invitation for disaster.  :eek:

If that's your choice, I recommend something like this:

index.php

You'll need at least two.  Four is a bit overkill, but they're cheap and come in packs of two.  Just make sure the lines are all on the same side.

This only applies to the FT-DRL part of the mod.  The Fogs-On-Low mod is only powering a relay coil and does not need anywhere near that amount of current.  You could buy two 2-packs (four total), use three on the FT-DRL mod and one on the FT-Fog mod.

When I removed the (full time fog) diode to take the pix, it started to rain so I left it out.  :beating:
I really miss my Full Time driving lights!!!

Good thing I have this thread so I know what to do!!!

Stackrat said:
FOR THE FT-DRL MOD ONLY!!

If you're the impatient type (like me) and choose to go to Radio Shack (for convenience, not quality) to get your diodes, the largest ones they stock are only rated for 3 amps.  You'll be flowing about 4.2 amps through the circuit. 

That's an invitation for disaster.   :eek:

If that's your choice, I recommend something like this:

index.php

You'll need at least two.  Four is a bit overkill, but they're cheap and come in packs of two.  Just make sure the lines are all on the same side.

This only applies to the FT-DRL part of the mod.  The Fogs-On-Low mod is only powering a relay coil and does not need anywhere near that amount of current.  You could buy two 2-packs (four total), use three on the FT-DRL mod and one on the FT-Fog mod.

I just used the one that came from radio shack, the 3 amp, and it works fine

09chevyavy said:
I just used the one that came from radio shack, the 3 amp, and it works fine

I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but I initially used just one as well.  Yes, it "worked" fine for me as well.

After about two weeks, I was in the fuse box with the headlights on and that one diode was HOT!!!  It was melting the plastic on the butt splice.

I feel much better about my current (no pun intended) setup.  Even if you just use two, you're still better to be safe than sorry.  At least the diodes are below the current level they're rated for and wont generate excessive heat.  

Better yet, get the high quality 6 amp diodes as DouglasOak suggests.

One 3 amp diode is just asking for a fire.  It may not happen - to you - but why take the chance.

Stackrat said:
One 3 amp diode is just asking for a fire.  It may not happen - to you - but why take the chance.

Gonna throw my .02 in on this... I used the RatShack 3 amp diode as well and a few weeks after doing the mod, I pulled the fuse box cover off to work on a projector retrofit and found the diode completely burned out.  While I bought multiple 3 amp diodes in case I had any problems on the initial install, I definitely chose not to go back with that small of a diode.

how about dont used diodes, which get hot. I used these things called add-a-circuit. Everything is fused, so in the off chance the wires rub thru, its all protected.

562346_10153370818270652_1378837184_n.jpg

1395232_10153370819890652_1614704757_n.jpg

Relays also work great too. They are able to handle high amperage loads, and with it being fused you would never have any issues.

That being said diodes are a LOT cheaper and easier to wire up for the general do it yourselfer type.
(try explaining how to wire a 30/40 amp Bosch relay to someone, describing the different input / output /trigger / and ground terminals!!!)

For the FTDRL and FTFogs Mod you would need 2 relays on 07+
BUT for 03-06 you would need to buy 6 relays (plus associated fuses and taps)  and find a home for them somewhere.

Average cost of 6 amp (proper rated) diode= $2.50
Average cost of relay, fuses, and taps= $15ish +

Don't get me wrong it IS a good way to do it, just not (
Code:
like the girls I used to date
) Cheap & Easy!!

Back