• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Price of Synthetic Oil?

JohnnieMo

SM 2017
PM 2014
SM 2013
I am routinely disappointed by the price of goods north of the border. It always seems like select items are far more expensive up here. For example synthetic oil like Mobil 1 sells at Walmart in the US for $6/L. Here we pay $12.  

As a result I run Castro Edge synthetic in my truck. It is $7/L at Costco and can even be on sale for less. I still run Mobil 1 in my Trans Am but I barely drive it so I don't mind A couple bucks.

Anyways, lo and behold I see this at superstore today:

Mobil 1 5W30 or 10W30 for $4.94. I can't make sense of it. I looked the bottle up and down and sure enough, it is authentic Mobil 1 synthetic Nascar approved. And this is the regular price. 5W20 is the usual $12/L.

So am I just seeing things, or why is this so cheap?? They were sold out of 5W30 so I didn't get any. They only stock about 10 litres so clearly this isn't a big bulk item.

I'm curious what synthetic oil others in Canada are running and where they buy it. At this price I will run my lawn mower on this stuff!

Great find!

I hope you bought their entire stock.

I bought 12 bottles at my local NAPA store yesterday for $6.25 each.

I was originally going to buy only six bottles at $7.99 per bottle, but I asked for and got a discount down to $6.25 if I were to buy 12.

I found this almost always works at NAPA.

The clerks can enter a discount at will at the register.

I've saved some BIG money on stuff like radiators, alternators and batteries.

Never hurts to ask!

(y)

JohnnieMo said:
I am routinely disappointed by the price of goods north of the border. It always seems like select items are far more expensive up here. For example synthetic oil like Mobil 1 sells at Walmart in the US for $6/L. Here we pay $12.  

As a result I run Castro Edge synthetic in my truck. It is $7/L at Costco and can even be on sale for less. I still run Mobil 1 in my Trans Am but I barely drive it so I don't mind A couple bucks.

Anyways, lo and behold I see this at superstore today:

Mobil 1 5W30 or 10W30 for $4.94. I can't make sense of it. I looked the bottle up and down and sure enough, it is authentic Mobil 1 synthetic Nascar approved. And this is the regular price. 5W20 is the usual $12/L.

So am I just seeing things, or why is this so cheap?? They were sold out of 5W30 so I didn't get any. They only stock about 10 litres so clearly this isn't a big bulk item.

I'm curious what synthetic oil others in Canada are running and where they buy it. At this price I will run my lawn mower on this stuff!

Cheaper in US Costcos

Normal price for Mobil 1 is 10W30 is $34.95 per six pack =$5.82 per qt  5W30 is $36.97 per six pack = $6.16 qt

BUT Every 2-3 months Costco puts the Mobil 1 six packs on sale with their coupon limit 2/customer so I bring the family.....always stockpile a dozen or so cases for 3K mile changes

10W30 = $24.97 per six pack = $4.16 qt

5W30 = $26.97 per six pack  = $4.49 qt

The Canadian Costcos must have periodic sales also and it pays to stock up.

Thomcat said:
Cheaper in US Costcos

Normal price for Mobil 1 is 10W30 is $34.95 per six pack =$5.82 per qt  5W30 is $36.97 per six pack = $6.16 qt

BUT Every 2-3 months Costco puts the Mobil 1 six packs on sale with their coupon limit 2/customer so I bring the family.....always stockpile a dozen or so cases for 3K mile changes

10W30 = $24.97 per six pack = $4.16 qt

5W30 = $26.97 per six pack  = $4.49 qt

The Canadian Costcos must have periodic sales also and it pays to stock up.

Great prices, Thomcat!

Unfortunately, we don't have Costcos here in the Land of the Waltons, so we are stuck with Sam's Club and I have never seen M1 below about $6.00 a quart around here.

I would have to consider a pallet of the stuff at those prices.

(If you ever decide to supplement your income by running bootleg cases of M1, hit me up.  ;) )

(y)

We have Costco here, but they don't sell Mobil 1. That is why I switched to Castrol Edge. I'd happily switch back to Mobil 1. Its easier if all my vehicles are the same. As for superstore they only stock a few bottles and it was sold out.

I have been using Amsoil for the last 6 years or so. I run it in everything I own.  I use the signature series oil and filters. Price is about $34 for 4 litres.  You can sign up as a preferred customer and get dealer pricing. 

get Valvoline syn as you will get better analysis reports every time if change at or before 6g  jeff

New to the site.  Have a 09 and just changed from regular oil to blue purple 5w30.  Have 180000km. Is it to late to start with a synthetic plus I added a lite of duralube  :help:

Duralube!  I didn't even know that stuff was still around.

I don't think it's ever too late to switch, but that is just my opinion. 

Back