• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

CT revival! All are welcome

Roody650iAvy

Welcome to the Connecticut rebirth/revival  >:D

So it turns out 4 of us on the forum all live/work within 20 minutes of each other, entirely by chance  (y) 

We're in the early stages of planning a get-together for sometime in the upcoming months.  Thinking maybe a weeknight around 6 PM or on a weekend, depending on when people are free, possibly some *light* off-roading if the location/conditions/people all work out, etc etc etc.  Would be interesting if we can get a full-day meet going one weekend in the spring, maybe some time to help each other do mods, grab some food, and of course a photoshoot  (y)  If we plan it far enough in advance hopefully some of the other Northeast folk can make it too

All of the Northeast CAFCNA members are obviously welcome & encouraged to join in on the fun  :B:  The more the merrier as always.

Looking forward to whatever it is we end up doing  :wave:

Hi... 20 minutes from where???  It could mean some people can be 1 1/2 hours away from you, and still be in CT... :laugh:

Tentative dates I'm thinking out - week of 3/17 or sometime mid-April, mayhaps week of 4/15 (hoping the weather lets up)

SO, in addition to the upcoming meet/greet, I have another idea  >:D

Anybody against a Massachusetts meet & greet on a Saturday with some light wheeling?  james21 and I know of a spot in Massachusetts that would put us on some off-roading trails that just about anybody should be able to handle.  There's some great spots for photo-ops, some mud pits, etc.  Who's in?  (y)

Let's shoot for late this month or early May for the week-night burgers/beer/truck-oogling night

Sometime mid/late-May for the off-roading  >:D

I'm going to check out October Mtn this weekend, I'm sure with all the rain, hopefully it's all melted.

I live in New Britain 25min away from Waterbury willing to drive  (y) (y) (y)

Also taking the avy to Rausch creek for 2014 Northeast Run ? May 16th-18th with http://www.fjnortheasters.org/nerun.php

and maybe to vermonster May 3-4

Ok, so the main road up October Mtn is STILL closed, no big surprise there. Anyways took Roaring Brook rd, and it had some mud, and a couple of big puddles, but mostly passable in 2HI. When I got over to New Lenox rd I went up to check out the trailhead there, and it seemed pretty clear of snow, maybe just a real fine layer of ice in places.
However the two other roads into the park weren't as nice, W Branch Rd looked pretty bad, I couldn't get to it, because of a 2 ft high snow and sand bank that I really didn't feel like going over. The other way in County Rd to Stanely Rd, it started out fine, then got a little muddy and finally hit a shady area and it was all iced up, for at least 2000 ft, I only ventured about 200-300 ft on the ice, and slowly backed out to a turn around, A) it was 6pm and B) I was by myself. I do off-road a lot by myself, but usually when there isn't snow or ice.

So given that most of the park is above 1800 ft, I'm going to say there's a good chance there is still some snow. IMHO I'd say we wait till May.

james21 said:
Ok, so the main road up October Mtn is STILL closed, no big surprise there. Anyways took Roaring Brook rd, and it had some mud, and a couple of big puddles, but mostly passable in 2HI. When I got over to New Lenox rd I went up to check out the trailhead there, and it seemed pretty clear of snow, maybe just a real fine layer of ice in places.
However the two other roads into the park weren't as nice, W Branch Rd looked pretty bad, I couldn't get to it, because of a 2 ft high snow and sand bank that I really didn't feel like going over. The other way in County Rd to Stanely Rd, it started out fine, then got a little muddy and finally hit a shady area and it was all iced up, for at least 2000 ft, I only ventured about 200-300 ft on the ice, and slowly backed out to a turn around, A) it was 6pm and B) I was by myself. I do off-road a lot by myself, but usually when there isn't snow or ice.

So given that most of the park is above 1800 ft, I'm going to say there's a good chance there is still some snow. IMHO I'd say we wait till May.
Nice! i grew up within sight of that area and its a great place to play. I have heard rumors of the state closing and locking the gates after dark and have heard on the scanner of people calling looking for a way out at night. I bet it is still nasty snowy and icy up top, glad you didnt go farther and get stuck. Cell service sucks up there, i know that for a fact haha.

In parts cell service is bad, but there are other parts where I've gotten 3 bars.

Yeah, I just don't see AAA coming out there to pull you out, I think you're 'SOL' at that point >:D

So let's hold off until May.  No use in planning a weekend only to have October Mtn. fight back (which I can assure you it does, and it fights hard)

BartRadz - I had no idea the FJs had that big of a Northeast following (that's one of the vehicles I would actually replace my Avy with).  You going in an FJ or Avalanche?

Any thoughts on a date yet? If I have the weekend off, I'd like to meet up with you guys at the end of the trail. I won't wheel mine... She's in rough shape as it is haha. But I know my way around up there and can meet y'all somewhere. 

Still working on it.  Hopefully sometime in May.

The ATV trails in MA are scheduled to open on the 7th so I would expect the trails/roads we want to run on the day of the meet should be all clear by then

Nope, no passes are required. And you dont need flags like some ORV parks require.

Back