• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

~K & N air filter & engine oil questions~

RevRichmond

Hey. Had a buddy give me a brand new K&N. I've had one on almost every vehicle I've owned. Although I haven't done anything close to an actual controlled test, it just doesn't seem like the MPG has gotten better at all. (This is my 1st V8 to put one on, so just trying to get a feel for proper expectations, etc.)
What's your experiences been like while using this filter on the AV? Better MPG &/or Performance?? (panel filter with oem intake only, not the K&N or other intake)

Also, I always do all my own maintenance (other than my wife's '12 VW Routan with free maint (y)) My Av was due, I didn't have time to do it and we were about to hit the FWY for a few hundred miles, so i just took it to a lube shop. The price of synthetic was SOO much higher than dino-oil, I just went old-school for the time being.
I plan on running synthetic from next time on.... just wondering: does anyone run dino-oil all the time? (not that I can bring myself to actually doing that.)

And while I'm on a question-roll, I plan on using Sea-Foam next time, too.
Any tips?? You have good results?

Thanks guys. :yourock:

Don't use the K&N, but your oil question is interesting. I've gone from dino to synthetic and noticed significant difference. The dino exhibited noisy valve tapping to point I was trying all kinds of things - Lucas oil for upper cylinder lube, gas deep clean, and finally went to Amsoil (synthetic). I found Lucas oil lube (goes in the gas) helped to a certain degree, but really noticed when I went to Amsoil - took some time to work it in.
Maybe dumb luck, right? This winter - time for oil change comes due, but waaaay to cold to oil change my self (normally do this), so I go to GM dealer. Good guys, treat me good, happy with them, but I go cheap and let them do standard GM thing with the oil (semi-blend dino/synthetic). Now I hear slight tapping coming back immediately - ugg! :E: Soon as the temp goes back to human levels the truck goes on the ramps and gonna yank the oil out and get the good stuff back in the pan.
BTW - got a can of seafoam sitting on the shelf, never had the guts to use it yet. Just doesn't seem right on a relatively new engine.

Seafoam is awesome!  I recommend it for every type of engine!
At one time, I had a fuel gauge problem where the needle would only go to about 1/8th of a tank, even if I had filled it.  I was told to put some Seafoam in it, and it almost immediately took the gum off the float and the gauge has been working great since!
I also use it in all of my lawn business equipment to keep the system clean.

Bassman Z71 said:
Don't use the K&N, but your oil question is interesting. I've gone from dino to synthetic and noticed significant difference. The dino exhibited noisy valve tapping to point I was trying all kinds of things - Lucas oil for upper cylinder lube, gas deep clean, and finally went to Amsoil (synthetic). I found Lucas oil lube (goes in the gas) helped to a certain degree, but really noticed when I went to Amsoil - took some time to work it in.
Maybe dumb luck, right? This winter - time for oil change comes due, but waaaay to cold to oil change my self (normally do this), so I go to GM dealer. Good guys, treat me good, happy with them, but I go cheap and let them do standard GM thing with the oil (semi-blend dino/synthetic). Now I hear slight tapping coming back immediately - ugg! :E: Soon as the temp goes back to human levels the truck goes on the ramps and gonna yank the oil out and get the good stuff back in the pan.
BTW - got a can of seafoam sitting on the shelf, never had the guts to use it yet. Just doesn't seem right on a relatively new engine.

You noticed significant difference? That's great. You happen to remember any numbers by chance?
Also, why do you advocate not using the K&N air filter? I've never had any issues with them at all. But, of course, that's why I'm asking for info: this is my first Chevy Avalanche and I know it's different than the others, in some way or another.

ARMYtango said:
Seafoam is awesome!   I recommend it for every type of engine!
At one time, I had a fuel gauge problem where the needle would only go to about 1/8th of a tank, even if I had filled it.  I was told to put some Seafoam in it, and it almost immediately took the gum off the float and the gauge has been working great since!
I also use it in all of my lawn business equipment to keep the system clean.

Man, don't ya love it when a quick and easy (and inexpensive) fix actually works! (y)

I had the drop in K&N filter for a while and didn't notice any difference.
I went to the full CAI (Spectre instead of K&N) and still no difference, but I do like the "throaty" sound when I get on it a little, but I do also have the FlowMaster 40 exhaust.

I still use Dino oil so can't offer any advice there.

As for Seafoam, I used it a while back ( need to do it again).
I put a full can in the tank with a full tank of gas, I put half a can in the crankcase and let the engine run about a half hour. I wouldn't recommend driving it with Seafoam in the crankcase as it DOES thin the oil somewhat.

I put the other half can in through the brake booster vacuum line. Instead of using a funnel and pouring it in, I used a piece of vacuum line and stick one end attached to the brake booster line and the other I dip right into the can of Seafoam. If you add too much at once it will stall the engine, just let it "sip" the Seafoam, not Gulp.
Once I have "sucked up" everything in the can I shut the engine and let it sit a while. This loosens the crud in the intake and on the valves.
If you have already done the Seafoam in the crankcase and let it run a while, now is a good time to change your oil.

Once you start your truck, it will smoke like crazy, and will probably be hard to start.
Once the smoke clears, you should be good to go and you WILL notice a difference.
All in all, it doesn't take much more than an additional half hour added to a normal oil change.

RevRichmond said:
You noticed significant difference? That's great. You happen to remember any numbers by chance?
Also, why do you advocate not using the K&N air filter? I've never had any issues with them at all. But, of course, that's why I'm asking for info: this is my first Chevy Avalanche and I know it's different than the others, in some way or another.

Man, don't ya love it when a quick and easy (and inexpensive) fix actually works! (y)
Hi, Not sure what you mean by "the numbers"? It's the tapping noise that seems to be the issue for me when using dino (semi-blend). Clarify, & I'm happy to share what I've observed. As for K&N, not an issue to recommend or not, just never used anything but GM parts. My understanding from other posters is that GM has designed excellent air flow system - all the 5.3 can desire....although the throaty sound is interesting to me :D . Everything I've read on the net indicates filters & CAI have no benefit to most car designed - back to the sound thing (y)

Oh, I look forward to seafoam when the time comes for my 5.3. I only hear good things no matter where I read it.

No words of wisdom on the filter deal. As far as the SeaFoam, I used it in my 98 camaro V6 and the result was a $800 lawyer fee and a $200 ticket. 0-65.7mph in 3/10 of a mile. Not saying it'll turn into a rocket but it cleans it out good! >:D

jmuller62 said:
I had the drop in K&N filter for a while and didn't notice any difference.
I went to the full CAI (Spectre instead of K&N) and still no difference, but I do like the "throaty" sound when I get on it a little, but I do also have the FlowMaster 40 exhaust.

I still use Dino oil so can't offer any advice there.

As for Seafoam, I used it a while back ( need to do it again).
I put a full can in the tank with a full tank of gas, I put half a can in the crankcase and let the engine run about a half hour. I wouldn't recommend driving it with Seafoam in the crankcase as it DOES thin the oil somewhat.

I put the other half can in through the brake booster vacuum line. Instead of using a funnel and pouring it in, I used a piece of vacuum line and stick one end attached to the brake booster line and the other I dip right into the can of Seafoam. If you add too much at once it will stall the engine, just let it "sip" the Seafoam, not Gulp.
Once I have "sucked up" everything in the can I shut the engine and let it sit a while. This loosens the crud in the intake and on the valves.
If you have already done the Seafoam in the crankcase and let it run a while, now is a good time to change your oil.

Once you start your truck, it will smoke like crazy, and will probably be hard to start.
Once the smoke clears, you should be good to go and you WILL notice a difference.
All in all, it doesn't take much more than an additional half hour added to a normal oil change.
Thank's a lot for that info and direction, JM. I'll do my best.

Bassman Z71 said:
Hi, Not sure what you mean by "the numbers"? It's the tapping noise that seems to be the issue for me when using dino (semi-blend). Clarify, & I'm happy to share what I've observed. As for K&N, not an issue to recommend or not, just never used anything but GM parts. My understanding from other posters is that GM has designed excellent air flow system - all , the 5.3 can desire....although the throaty sound is interesting to me :D . Everything I've read on the net indicates filters & CAI have no benefit to most car designed - back to the sound thing (y)

Oh, I look forward to seafoam when the time comes for my 5.3. I only hear good things no matter where I read it.
What I meant my the numbers is MPG or HP. Sorry to confuse ya. The tapping? Ya, I'm familiar with that, too. Mine does the same stinkin thing. (n)

runninfool said:
No words of wisdom on the filter deal. As far as the SeaFoam, I used it in my 98 camaro V6 and the result was a $800 lawyer fee and a $200 ticket. 0-65.7mph in 3/10 of a mile. Not saying it'll turn into a rocket but it cleans it out good! >:D
:laugh: Awesome man!! (except the having-to-pay-money thing) I'm a speed freak myself and I can fully appreciate that. >:D

runninfool said:
0-65.7mph in 3/10 of a mile. Not saying it'll turn into a rocket but it cleans it out good! >:D

Geez, a stock AV will do mid 60s in a quarter mile.

Before putting the supercharger on I was getting into the 60s in an 1/8th mile.  (Must have been the K&N filter I was running.  >:D)

Back