• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New grill, first post

ev300hp

Got my avalanche about a month ago, first thing I noticed was that the stereo sucked actually. But after I got that mostly taken care of I decided that chrome strip in the middle of the grill didn't fit on a truck with no other chrome on it. So it had to go. I took 220 grit sand paper to the chrome and roughed it up pretty good. Then I took 400 to the whole thing, after that I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to get all the dust off. Then I took some Krylon primer and gave it 2 nice coats and let that dry. For paint I called up the local Chevy dealership and got 2 of those little 5 OZ color match spray cans and gave it 3 pretty light coats. It ended being very flat looking, I wanted a little more gloss so I bought some clear coat, I can't remember the brand, went over it really light with 4 coats. Gave it a little more of a shine. I also used a tack rag in between each of the types of paint to keep the dust off it. It felt a little rough but it looks the way I wanted it to so I can't complain and I took a clay bar to it to knock down some of the roughness. It doesn't really show up in the pictures but you can tell its a metallic paint. Its almost a prefect cross between the color of the paint and the color of the cladding.

IMG_20140523_182217_9161_zpsf749589d.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I drove down to Scottsdale Nebraska for the long weekend and hit 100,000 miles right as we got to chimney rock.  (y) Got some pretty decent pictures there.  :B:

IMG_20140525_112435_547_zps4eb014b7.jpg

IMG_20140525_112150_561_zps0e4fed73.jpg

Update: Had the paint on for about a month. Its been through quite a bit so far.
I have been trying to clean the bugs off it pretty regularly but they are pretty bad around here so I'm cleaning it constantly  :E:
On the plus side it seems to be holding up really well. It got two tiny chips in it almost right away (I'm guessing I didn't sand that spot as well as I should have :mad: ) but other than two spots that you don't really even notice, It still looks awesome.
I finally got around to waxing it too, that really brought out the sparkle in it. LOVE how it turned out.

looks good. I painted my power bars to match the truck almost immediatly that was about 2.5 years ago. I do have several chips and a few of them started right after I painted it. Nothing ever flaked off though, just small rock chips.

Looks great! I was thinking of painting mine red to match the body, but I'm not sure... Or black in center and Red out outer parts between headlights

a little over a year since my last post on this, but my paint is flaking off pretty bad now and plan on redoing it in the next couple weeks

Back