• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Undercoating

WVa

I have a 2013 and have a issue with the factory undercoating. I am finding pieces of undercoating on my garage floor. Climbed under the truck  found it peeling off. When it comes off there is surface rust under it. Taking it to the dealer tomarrow. I will keep you informed.Anyone else having the same issue. Thanks

I recall my 03 had something a bit denser than cosmoline and not quite the level of what I believe to be a true undercoat. it held up well for the 7 years I had it. It was black, I could scrape it off with my fingernails, but it never flaked off. Even the area where the fuel filter was and some of gasoline leaked/dripped during a filter change, it stayed in place. It was not an aftermarket material.

I don't recall what was on my 2010 and I have honestly not looked at my 2013. I will now just for reference.

Please do keep us informed of your outcome.

Mine is doing the same thing. If you google gm truck frame rust there is a ton of bad news. Allegedly the wax coating on the frame is not intended to last more than one year. The problem seems to begin the minute these trucks leave the factory. I have seen rust on the frames of new Chevy/GMC trucks at the dealer. Like in this video: http://youtu.be/cS0IwYoiH1Y

Took it to dealer today. The. Lady in the body. Shop said GM never applied undercoating to these truck. She accused me of applying it or the other dealer where I purchased it they must have applied it. I said it was applied by the factory. She again said nothing was ever applied to these frames. I asked how do keep them from rusting. She had no answer. They took pictures of rust and the vin number and mileage. They are contacting a gm rep. She said she did no think anything would done since they do not apply any under coating. I said we will see about that. So it's a wait and see. I will keep you posted. Please everyone crawl under your truck and check it out. Thanks

GM does not "undercoat" their trucks. They do apply a wax coating to the frame. You and the body shop chick communication are probably lost in a semantic disconnect.

X2. No undercoating at the factory. If is done at all then is done at the dealer the truck is shipped to. Even then the undercoating is typically not done at the dealer because of the mess and they farm out the work to a second party shop. If there is ever a warranty claim then they take it back to that shop for you or advise you to do so. If you are no longer close to the dealer you bought the truck at then you are out of luck unless GM caves and does something for you but don't hold your breath.

In theory the wax coating is suppose to "self heal" if scratched but if big chunks come off it's not going to heal those areas. I would suspect that the rusted areas on a new frame happened on the assembly line equipment holding the frame and/or during assembly.

Eastwood has a waxy spray on coating that I've been using my trucks since GM started using the waxy coating many years ago, it works pretty good to cover and blends in with the factory coating pretty good. Just wire brush the area and apply two or three coats one coat at a time letting it dry between coats.  

As far as GM warranty I believe is a "rust through" warranty so a little surface rust on the frame is probably not something they will fix except maybe to hit with a little black paint.. If it's a new truck and big pieces are coming off I would defiantly take it in..

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust-solutions.html?p=2

Well for what it's worth there is a TSB on this, but that doesn't mean GM will cover the repair under warranty. Since the TSB is copyrighted I will only post a portion of it here. Do a search and you can find it.

#PI0564B: Wax Coating on Frame Peeling, Metal Shows Corrosion/Rusting - (Jun 29, 2012)

Subject:

Wax Coating on Frame Peeling, Metal Shows Corrosion/Rusting

Models:

2011-2013 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2011-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2011-2013 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard PI0564A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that areas of the frame wax coating are peeling off and rust/corrosion is visible on the metal in these areas.

Recommendation/Instructions

A specialized metal coating product, Rust Bullet?, has been found to be the most suitable product to provide corrosion control and protection to address this type of repair. Our recommendation is to use the Rust Bullet? Automotive Formula* and the Rust Bullet BlackShell?* and that they must be applied according to the manufacturer?s procedures.

I found the tsb on another web site.i also found where several silverado owners having same issue. A lot of them have had the frames fixed under warranty.i will fight them until it's covered. Thanks for everyone's help and information.i will keep you posted.

Randy said:
In theory the wax coating is suppose to "self heal" if scratched but if big chunks come off it's not going to heal those areas. I would suspect that the rusted areas on a new frame happened on the assembly line equipment holding the frame and/or during assembly.

Eastwood has a waxy spray on coating that I've been using my trucks since GM started using the waxy coating many years ago, it works pretty good to cover and blends in with the factory coating pretty good. Just wire brush the area and apply two or three coats one coat at a time letting it dry between coats. 

As far as GM warranty I believe is a "rust through" warranty so a little surface rust on the frame is probably not something they will fix except maybe to hit with a little black paint.. If it's a new truck and big pieces are coming off I would defiantly take it in..

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust-solutions.html?p=2

Thanks for the link Randy think I'll try this on my 03.

Ohiobellboy and I applied the Rust Bullet products to my 03's frame a couple of years ago, which was probably in much worse shape than your newer trucks.  I did very little surface prep - the product instructions didn't call for much - but there are areas I should have done a bit more as it has flaked off in a few spots.  It does seem to be working well in the majority of areas that I applied it.

Looks like under the boy's 02 which has about 1/3 the miles of mine it is time to do something...

Update After a week of dealing with the dealership . And having to call GM consumer affairs They finally agreed that there is a issue with the rust on my frame. The body shop and the another manager even came out to where I work to take more pics and discuss options on how to fix it. They want to take the body off the frame and send the frame out to have it sand blasted. Then recoat it with a product called kyptonite. I will be with out my avalanche for at least two weeks.That is if the regional manager ok's the work.So guys if you have a 2011 thru 2013 check your frame for rust. If found take to your dealer.

Holly Molly is that stuff expensive 27.50 for a 14 oz can.

http://www.lloydslaboratories.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Update: The gm rep finally showed up today. He gave his approval to fix the rust on my frame. He wants to remove the body from the frame. Take out the transmission, motor, suspension , exhaust. Strip everything off the frame and send it to be sand blasted. He Said the entire truck will be taken apart. My issue is should I let them take it completely apart. I do not see how it will ever be right again. What do you guys think. I value your opinions. Or should I getit taken care myself and not risk having it completely taken apart. Also who how's if the new coating will work or do the same thing. Help

I would let the dealer fix it.

Holy disassembly!!  

That's that's going to take awhile to completely strip it down to the frame and put it back to gether. It would be nice if you could get them to powder coat it, very durable and gets into all the nooks and crannies ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qvULu70dE

MS03 2500 said:
I would let the dealer fix it.
x2. Don't risk the rust.  I like the powder coat.  They probably won't pay for it but it could be worth asking what the cost difference is.

Just make sure they have a loaner, taking it apart is going to take a few weeks.

I'm just saying, and without the usual and customary 2? handling charge. That's what warranties are for. Use it or lose it.

You've documented a problem and have been offered a solution. Whether it works or not their way or your way is not really the point. If you allow them to do the fix and it continues to manifest, they still are on the hook.

Get it done and complain about the loaner later.  :D

Thanks for the update. I doubt any of us were expecting this outcome. :B:

X2 what Cat Dancer said, but if it's your daily driver you need something to get back and forth. You have to document the problem.

I would allow the dealer to do it but I would also ask to talk to the tech(s) that are going to do the disassembly and reassembly and ask that whoever starts the job finishes the job. Lots of bad things happen when techs assume something was done by someone else. They may not allow this and if so ask them to document on the paperwork that you asked and they declined or you asked and they accepted. I myself have done big jobs like this and the customer asked to talk to me and he pleaded his case about ongoing problems and his desire for me to do my best job possible. Sometimes that can mean a lot to a tech, knowing that someone respects him and is pulling for him to do the best job possible. It is worth the shot.  (y)

Thanks for your input. I again talked to the body shop manager. He has agreed to have it power coated which is good news. It goes in on Monday. I am  going to be in a full size rental from enterprise. I will keep  you updated with any issues that come up. Again thanks for your comments.

WVa said:
Thanks for your input. I again talked to the body shop manager. He has agreed to have it power coated which is good news. It goes in on Monday. I am  going to be in a full size rental from enterprise. I will keep  you updated with any issues that come up. Again thanks for your comments.
That's great news.  Cool that they are going to powder coat it.  Sounds like they're setting you up to have your Avy for a long, long time.

The 02s were notorious for the coating wearing off and rust starting. I had half of my coating gone 4 months after I bought my AV, and by 10000 miles it was all gone. By 04 all you could see was rust. I severed ties with my original dealer, because they screwed me when they were ordered by GM to repair my brakes under warranty, for failing at 20K miles. They protested it, saying that I was riding my brakes. They did the repair, but charged me $800 in labor.
Anyways sorry about my tangent there, in 08 I had a body shop clean the entire frame and coat it, and that lasted till last year, started coming off, but the shop said theyd touch it up.

WVa said:
Update After a week of dealing with the dealership . And having to call GM consumer affairs They finally agreed that there is a issue with the rust on my frame. The body shop and the another manager even came out to where I work to take more pics and discuss options on how to fix it. They want to take the body off the frame and send the frame out to have it sand blasted. Then recoat it with a product called kyptonite. I will be with out my avalanche for at least two weeks.That is if the regional manager ok's the work.So guys if you have a 2011 thru 2013 check your frame for rust. If found take to your dealer.

Wow, lucky me, I have a '12 and a '13 and the factory must have put a generous portion of snot in the undercoat mix because at 1 -1/2 yrs. there is no rust whatsoever on the '13 (a weekend driver which has never been out on a salted road) and at 2+ yrs , the '12 which has seen a lot of the salt, ash, sand and gravel road mix through two bad Winters has only a hairline of surface undercoat wear and rust on the leading edges of some cross members where the coating has a been blasted by road debris. Also the factory undercoat is a bit "sticky" if you push hard on it with your fingers but still intact especially in the areas where oil drips on it during an oil/filter change.

And I'd let a vehicle rust through before I let anyone other than the factory dismantle and send out the frame and pray they put back and align everything properly.

Back