• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Mercury tilt switch with Viper 5901 to to trigger alarm

stumpu

:help:First time posting, but have enjoyed following everyone's mods.  Any help would greatly be appreciated, what I'm trying to do is add a two wire mercury switch to the tailgate to trigger the alarm when opened and also I like to set my alarm to passive arm and lock mode, that way I don't have to manually lock the truck.  I was hoping that with the passive mode the mercury switch showing the tailgate open would prevent the alarm from arming just like if a door was open.  Is it as simple as grounding one side of the mercury switch and running the other side to the alarm?  If so, with the Viper 5901, which wire do I use?  Would the trunk trigger(-) solid blue wire be the right one?  Thnaks in advance.

What year do you have. ???

Your mercury switch should be 2 wire. Attach one wire to ground and the othe wire to negative instant trigger on the viper alarm.

Majority of mercury switches are big, you should consider using a magnetic pin switch instead. They have the same wiring configuration and are not as easy to knock off bc of their low profile design.

588131.jpg

Thanks noogie, I have a small plastic clear mercury switch that's mounted inside my tailgate out of the way, it's also used to turn on my LED bed lights.  One side is to  ground and the other side is to switched ground to the lights.  I ran a wire from the same side to the 5901 blue (-) wire H1/7 Trunk pin/ instant trigger input, but I couldn't get it to recognize the tailgate.  I have a DEI 998t bitwriter that I use to tweak the settings, should the trunk trigger be set to normally open or normally closed ?  I don't know if there is any other programming to be done to the alarm to recognize this new input.

Back