• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

WV WWW XIII Discussion

4x4dreamer

PM 2023
SM 2018
SM 2017
PM 2013
SM 2008
It is that time again, the time to start thinking about where next years Wild and Wonderful Weekend will be held. I have talked to GoldBowTie a couple of times the past few months and each time, North Bend State Park has came up. It has been done a few times before, as we all know, but can be done again. (if thats what everyone decides)

I would absolutely love to hear some other suggestions as to other places we could have it in 2015. I know North Bend is pretty central to members in the OH/PA/WV area, but that doesn't mean we HAVE to do it there!

I just wanted to get the ball rolling so we can have a plan for next year and get everything in the works early so that we can work out the schedule so that more members can attend!  :love: :B:

For your reference:
http://www.wvstateparks.com/

Previous years locations:
2003 Pipestem
2004 Twin Falls
2005 North Bend
2006 Pipestem
2007 North Bend
2008 Blackwater Falls
2009 Summersville
2010 North Bend
2011 Blackwater Falls
2012 Oglebay
2013 Twin Falls
2014 Nowhere  :cry:
2015 ????????? (You decide)  (y)

Let me know what you guys think   :D

-Ian

Ian,
I will keep tabs on this one.  It's much easier for the PA people to attend if it is more centralized being that some have kids that forces us to have to wait until they get home on Friday to get there.

The one that was in Southern WV was just too hard for us to pull off.

After something is nailed down, we will want to put feelers in the PA and OH forums...    (y)

The date is going to be more critical to us than the location.  2015 calendar is already filling up.  If we don't have anything else scheduled, we will attend this one.

We are up for anything at this point.

As you know, I'm good with Northbend.
I'm also interested in Tygart Lake since I didn't make it work last year.

GoldBowTie said:

My only concern with Tygart Lake is that the cabins look small. Thats what I like most about North Bend is that the cabins are very roomy and good for a larger crowd. Im going to look into Tygart some more to get more information.

GoldBowTie said:

4x4dreamer said:
My only concern with Tygart Lake is that the cabins look small. Thats what I like most about North Bend is that the cabins are very roomy and good for a larger crowd. Im going to look into Tygart some more to get more information.

Wasn't the issue with Tygart when the cabins opened?  The campground is very close to the cabins, which is nice.

I think Tygart opens cabins in April, a bit later than we usually get Wild & Wonderful.

GoldBowTie said:
I think Tygart opens cabins in April, a bit later than we usually get Wild & Wonderful.

I couldn't find an actual "open date" on their website. I'll give them a call next week and double check.

-Ian

The lady I talked to couldn't give a specific date on when the cabins would open. She said that sometimes they open a little earlier and sometimes a little later depending on the weather.

So, do we want to keep it traditional with the typical Late March/Early April dates and do North Bend?

What does everyones schedule look like for spring? I know that we all have things to do. I, personally, am on Spring Break from March 21st-March 29th.

In 2010, the last year we were there, it was the weekend of the 26th-28th of March.. It was still chilly, but a good gtg nonetheless.

For reference:

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,117026.0.html

Let me know what you guys think/what your schedules are like

-Ian

If you don't mind doing this GTG during spring break, I suggest the weekend of March 20-22, at North Bend.

March 29 is Palm Sunday, April 5 is Easter.
I know some members have church obligations.

If not March 20-22, then could do it later in April, or earlier in March.
I prefer early March over late April, but would do either.
I like to do this GTG while the weather is still cool enough to have a fire in the fireplace.

I would be open to doing an additional GTG in May or June at Tygart Lake.  :0:

GoldBowTie said:
If you don't mind doing this GTG during spring break, I suggest the weekend of March 20-22, at North Bend.

March 29 is Palm Sunday, April 5 is Easter.
I know some members have church obligations.

If not March 20-22, then could do it later in April, or earlier in March.
I prefer early March over late April, but would do either.
I like to do this GTG while the weather is still cool enough to have a fire in the fireplace.

I would be open to doing an additional GTG in May or June at Tygart Lake.  :0:

I didn't realize how early easter was this year!  :eek:

I like the idea of a summer GTG at Tygart lake as well  (y)

It doesn't HAVE to be the week of my spring break, that would just be the most convenient for me  :laugh:

I just want to get some ideas flowing  :B:

-Ian

Anymore ideas guys? I spoke with GoldBowTie this evening and talked more about this GTG.  Would love to get this nailed down within the next couple of weeks so we can get it on everyones calendars and look into getting lodging early! Right now were looking at North Bend State Park the weekend of March 20th-22nd 2015..

We will even take suggestions from the peanut gallery  :cool:

-Ian

I may still be in Utah then, but if I'm back I plan on attending, depending on the weather. You guys always plan this GTG during prime snowboarding weather.  If I'm home and there hasn't been snow for a few days, I'm in. If there is fresh snow, or snow falling, I'll be snowboarding, so I'll be tentative until the week of and can evaluate the weather situation.

Calicak89 said:
I may still be in Utah then, but if I'm back I plan on attending, depending on the weather. You guys always plan this GTG during prime snowboarding weather.  If I'm home and there hasn't been snow for a few days, I'm in. If there is fresh snow, or snow falling, I'll be snowboarding, so I'll be tentative until the week of and can evaluate the weather situation.

Alright Tom  (y) It'd be awesome if it works out!

So is the plan March and/or May and June?? what are you trying to do make up for last year?

BnGBleeder said:
So is the plan March and/or May and June?? what are you trying to do make up for last year?

Jack,

WVWWW has always usually been an End of March/Early April GTG. GBT mentioned Tygart Lake as well as did BBB and we thought maybe we could do the traditional WVWWW and squeeze in an early summer GTG at Tygart lake as well. Its just in the idea stages right now, however the original WVWWW GTG is going to happen this year as opposed to last.

What does your schedule look like for spring? (if you've planned that far ahead yet) I want to try and accommodate as many people as I can so we can have a  great attendance and GTG this year  (y) I know I can't make it fit around all of our schedules, but Im going to do my best to make it work for as many as we can.

-Ian

Tpicks55 said:
I like March 20-22nd as thats my free weekend.  Just my nickel (inflation)  :laugh:

It'll be a quarter by the time the GTG rolls around  :laugh:

So far, nobody has objections to that weekend  (y)

Finals are OVER..  :D I am heading home in the morning and don't come back until January 12th.

Keep an eye out for the official GTG thread by the end of the week  :B:

-Ian

I called North Bend today to set this up and they had some bad news. Somewhere between me calling a little over a week ago and calling today to confirm, they had a large group reserve every lodge room they have and every cabin but 3, 2-bedrooms. She just emailed me with our options and details on what weekends are available as far as March goes.

Our options are as follows:

Thank you for your information request.  I am here to help!  I have 3 2 bedroom cabins open for that weekend,  however, all of the lodge rooms are booked.  Below is what I have open on weekends in March 2015.

Feb 27-March 1 * 29 rooms, 6 2 bedroom cabins, 2 3 bedroom cabins, and 1 4 bedroom cabin

*this seems a little early *and cold* but the only week they have a 4 bedroom

March 13-15 * 28 rooms and 6 2 bedroom cabins

March 27-29 * 28 rooms, 4 2 bedroom cabins and 1 3 bedroom cabin

I hope this helps and look forward to working with you.

Have a great day,
Kristi Steed
Group Sales Coordinator
North Bend State Park
202 North Bend State Park
Cairo, WV 26337
304-643-2931
304-643-2970 fax

Would it be bwtter for everyone to wait until Mid-April, or have it earlier. GBT pointed out that the 29th is Palm Sunday, so I know some will have other obligations. I really want to make this work.

-Ian

It looks like if we want to stick with March 22, we need to find a different park.
If we stay with North Bend, I prefer the weekend of Feb 27-Mar 1.
I am OK either way, but would prefer North Bend if most can work with a different date.
I really don't want to wait until mid April, but will if it works for most.

I would say go with what works for most.
If most are OK with the original date, we would have to determine a new location.
If most are OK with changing date, stick with North Bend.

We are ok with changing the date. 

-OldVMer

GoldBowTie said:
It looks like if we want to stick with March 22, we need to find a different park.
If we stay with North Bend, I prefer the weekend of Feb 27-Mar 1.
I am OK either way, but would prefer North Bend if most can work with a different date.
I really don't want to wait until mid April, but will if it works for most.

I would say go with what works for most.
If most are OK with the original date, we would have to determine a new location.
If most are OK with changing date, stick with North Bend.

Im chatting off site with Melissa, the Bubba's. Bubba is off the 15th-21st.. So they would be out for the newly suggested weekend. And Melissa is afraid that the grandkids birthday parties would be that weekend. Im working on this.

What if we changed to maybe Oglebay  ??? It was a pretty decent place to have it I thought, and the cabins were nice. I don't want to do it again too soon, but if its an option... I know it would technically be closer for the Ohio group and even the PA guys are about the same distance away

-Ian

As of right now, we don't have the weekend of March 21 available for WVWWW.

--OldVMer

Back